• Jun 13th, 2019 11:27 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
625 posts
1347 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:52 pm
That's interesting.

I wonder if McIntosh would be a better bet? It's been a while since I've looked at audiophile equipment, single dad, kids full-time, etc, and all,+ being over 30, your ears aren't the same.
I priced some McIntosh stuff recently, I realized Ima need dat chaebol money before I can afford anything from this company.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2272 posts
1136 upvotes
Kitchener
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 7:22 pm
I priced some McIntosh stuff recently, I realized Ima need dat chaebol money before I can afford anything from this company.
Their prices are insane, and likely it would never be priced here at RFD. Just a dream of mine to own one, and hoping to get lucky at Value Village (as it has happened before) with some staff that is wondering about 'that old junk' that came in.

I have a friends who's parent were money, and his dad a serious audiophile and he owned a McIntosh. Damn, it sound so crisp and it could get very loud, yet it was only like 50 watts per side. It would outperform the 500 watt unit downstairs in the rec room. Really, reminds me, do you want 500ml of crystal clear clean water? Or 10 litres of sludgy water. You don't look at amps the same way ever again, and I had to be accept and be happy with my Yamaha.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
625 posts
1347 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 7:29 pm
Their prices are insane, and likely it would never be priced here at RFD. Just a dream of mine to own one, and hoping to get lucky at Value Village (as it has happened before) with some staff that is wondering about 'that old junk' that came in.

I have a friends who's parent were money, and his dad a serious audiophile and he owned a McIntosh. Damn, it sound so crisp and it could get very loud, yet it was only like 50 watts per side. It would outperform the 500 watt unit downstairs in the rec room. Really, reminds me, do you want 500ml of crystal clear clean water? Or 10 litres of sludgy water. You don't look at amps the same way ever again, and I had to be accept and be happy with my Yamaha.
Hearing your first high end rig is a life changing experience.

What's really weird is how many people (and companies) can seemingly justify the super high cost of these products. Aritzia, and some of their sub brand/sister stores (like Wilfred and Babaton) for some reason use McIntosh components for their in store systems, I think its really weird because 90% of people going into these stores probably don't care, and in a noisy store whatever benefit you get from such high end components is likely lost.

Just because, here is some ear candy at baybloor radio (the image is probably going to be wayyyy too big)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1334 posts
658 upvotes
Kitchener
chatbox wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:52 pm
There should be a "Money is no object" sub-forum on RFD.

(The new Mac Pro with three XDR displays would go there)
I would but I ran out of money buying the stands...
Nov 25, 2016
257 posts
183 upvotes
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:33 pm
I gain nothing by spouting BS. From what I heard over the years, the HD700, HD800 and HD820 are same drivers.
Could you suggest eq settings to make my HD6xx sound like HD800? Usually when I use the equalizer on foobar music doesn't sound as good as when not adjusted.
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
nicermog wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:54 pm
Could you suggest eq settings to make my HD6xx sound like HD800? Usually when I use the equalizer on foobar music doesn't sound as good as when not adjusted.
I found only HD650 and HD800S FR here https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/g ... 5/2031/290

From rough calculations, for EqualizerAPO(https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/)

ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain -4.5 dB Q 0.9
ON PK Fc 6800 Hz Gain +4.5 dB Q 2.35

More adjustments can be made, but I am too tired now(it is 12AM). Try these first.

Or you could try www.sonarworks.com. I think they do have a trial version.
Nov 25, 2016
257 posts
183 upvotes
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:02 am
I found only HD650 and HD800S FR here https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/g ... 5/2031/290

From rough calculations, for EqualizerAPO(https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/)

ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain -4.5 dB Q 0.9
ON PK Fc 6800 Hz Gain +4.5 dB Q 2.35

More adjustments can be made, but I am too tired now(it is 12AM). Try these first.

Or you could try www.sonarworks.com. I think they do have a trial version.
Do I need to install the Room EQ Wizard? I made a new text file with those values in the config folder. What do I do next? This seems similar to the Convolver plugin for foobar which could load up files for various headphones/speakers.
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
nicermog wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:46 am
Do I need to install the Room EQ Wizard? I made a new text file with those values in the config folder. What do I do next? This seems similar to the Convolver plugin for foobar which could load up files for various headphones/speakers.
You don't need Room EQ Wizard. You might install it to try your own curves.

You may also look at the docs here https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizerapo/ ... mentation/

Open C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt in a text editor and change the "Include" line to refer to your newly created configuration file. The change should be effective immediately.

The actual filter file content should be

# Filters for HD6XX to HD820S
Channel: All
Preamp: -0.1 dB
Filter 1:ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain -4.5 dB Q 0.9
Filter 2:ON PK Fc 6800 Hz Gain +4.5 dB Q 2.35

Name of the file that you create is what is referenced in the Include command in the config file. To test whether your setup is working, change the preamp value to -6 and save the file. The volume should drop immediately. Once you confirmed that EqualizerAPO is active, you can delete the Preamp line in the file since it is already included in config.txt
Jan 4, 2014
64 posts
39 upvotes
Newmarket
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 4:12 pm
There are plenty of low cost alternatives to HD800S, but people(audiophiles in particular) believe there must be some magic in those higher priced products. Unfortunately, there isn't any magic. It is sound signature tuning since the drivers are the same(Sennheiser reuses the drivers across product lines).

Now, sound signature can be tuned either acoustically, electronically or digitally. The easiest is digital(parametric equalizers) which Bose and other manufacturers have started doing.

The only reason for buying higher priced product is driver matching (L/R drivers are very close in FR and phase response), and lower distortion. This is almost alway ignored, instead people talk ad inifinitum about sound stage, imaging which are not universally felt by everyone.

In a nutshell, buy high end headphones like HD800 or Focal's headphones if you can hear the lower distortion and driver matching. Otherwise, you are paying for something that you will never hear and won't hear in future too(we lose hearing as we age) For low cost alternatives, rtings.com is the authority. They do allow you to sort the headphones by parameters.
There is a strong assumption that we all built the same. But we are not. We all could play basketball, but we can't do this as Stephen Curry or Khawi Leonard. Same goes for our ability to think, listen to music or distinguish between a colors. Why we could accept a basketball, but we can't accept the fact that someone's ear is different (to not say better)?
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
dgomel wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 10:26 am
There is a strong assumption that we all built the same. But we are not. We all could play basketball, but we can't do this as Stephen Curry or Khawi Leonard. Same goes for our ability to think, listen to music or distinguish between a colors. Why we could accept a basketball, but we can't accept the fact that someone's ear is different (to not say better)?
When did I say that all of our ears are same? Everyone's ears are different due to ear canal length(varies with gender too), width, and hearing loss.

Read what I said, buy high end headphones ... if you can hear the lower distortion and driver matching. If you have golden ears and money to burn, go ahead.
Jan 4, 2014
64 posts
39 upvotes
Newmarket
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 10:38 am
When did I say that all of our ears are same? Everyone's ears are different due to ear canal length(varies with gender too), width, and hearing loss.

Read what I said, buy high end headphones ... if you can hear the lower distortion and driver matching. If you have golden ears and money to burn, go ahead.
I wasn't trying to offend. I'm sorry if if it sounds like it.
Buying audio equipment based on parameters is not a good recommendation. For instance, I don't like how Paradigm speakers sound, despite high ratings and very nice specs.
I would suggest to hear with your own ears and music/songs you like and know very well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7798 posts
3271 upvotes
MVRD
dgomel wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 11:45 am
I wasn't trying to offend. I'm sorry if if it sounds like it.
Buying audio equipment based on parameters is not a good recommendation. For instance, I don't like how Paradigm speakers sound, despite high ratings and very nice specs.
I would suggest to hear with your own ears and music/songs you like and know very well.
That is probably one of the most objective advice that anyone can give.

When I first started out buying headphones, I couldn't tell what 'good' sound should be. Over time, and exposure to different headphones / speakers / setups...you learn what to listen for or what makes something sound realistic. Some people are naturally good at knowing what good audio reproduction is...I'm not one of them. At the end of the day, it comes down to what sounds good to each individual.

(There's more to perceivable audio reproduction quality than frequency response)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11989 posts
2872 upvotes
Ottawa
It’s the old subjectivist vs objectivist arguments. I always look at measurements and swear by them but I dont believe measurements completely describe all the aspects of sound quality. I can clearly hear differences in soundstage between different headphones but I haven’t seen any measurements that predict soundstage. So the final determination should be your own ears.

I do believe people overspend on amps and dacs and with headphones, high price doesn’t indicate superiority
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 2:28 pm
I haven’t seen any measurements that predict soundstage. So the final determination should be your own ears.
You are not looking at the right places. There is so much published research on soundstage. Unfortunately, most are behind paywalls(e.g. AES)
For consumers, rtings has metrics for soundstage and also an explantion here https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests ... soundstage
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11989 posts
2872 upvotes
Ottawa
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 2:36 pm
You are not looking at the right places. There is so much published research on soundstage. Unfortunately, most are behind paywalls(e.g. AES)
For consumers, rtings has metrics for soundstage and also an explantion here https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests ... soundstage
I’ve seen the Rtings measurements but I found their numerical ratings of soundstage to correlate poorly with my own observations. So in general I haven’t found their ratings to be a good predictor of what I hear with my own ears.

My ears are bigger than normal so I’m not sure if the results are skewed somehow lol
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.