MVRD
Dropped a few more bucks today: @ $687.77

Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:25 pm
I’ve seen the Rtings measurements but I found their numerical ratings of soundstage to correlate poorly with my own observations. So in general I haven’t found their ratings to be a good predictor of what I hear with my own ears.

My ears are bigger than normal so I’m not sure if the results are skewed somehow lol
Well, the ratings are based on the measurements done on an average ear that has been very carefully designed. The dummy head is supposed to cost $10 ~ 25K(?)

It is possible that the average ear does not match yours. Unfortunately, short of buying headphones, trying them and returning them, this is the only solution that exists right now.

Beyerdynamic and JBL have some technology that calibrates the sound by emitting sound into your ears and measuring them. Not sure how good they are.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11989 posts
2872 upvotes
Ottawa
I was looking at that topping amp dac too and it seems to be a good buy. Was going to give it a try but I wasn’t sure which is a good place to buy it from (with a return policy)

The mass drop thx amp looks amazing too, but it’s annoying to buy because you have to preorder and wait wait wait
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7798 posts
3271 upvotes
MVRD
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 4:48 pm
I was looking at that topping amp dac too and it seems to be a good buy. Was going to give it a try but I wasn’t sure which is a good place to buy it from (with a return policy)

The mass drop thx amp looks amazing too, but it’s annoying to buy because you have to preorder and wait wait wait
I totally get it. I'm not a person of patience....and that kind of shopping experience just ruins the excitement for me.
Dec 11, 2009
211 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the HD-DAC1 integrated into my home theatre and it’s a solid performer. Sounds better than my Denon, Onyko and Pioneer AVR’s for music. Sounds great with Sennheiser headphones as well. You can’t go wrong at this price.
Oct 7, 2015
359 posts
283 upvotes
Vanier, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 4:48 pm

How about jds labs?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11989 posts
2872 upvotes
Ottawa
x8ssJoe wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 6:29 pm
How about jds labs?
I already have a good dac and amp, but wouldn't mind going to amp with balanced connections and enough power to any headphone I might buy in the future. I wouldn't mind an all in one unit, so I was looking at the Monoprice one too which also has a DIRAC processing. It's over $600 though.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11989 posts
2872 upvotes
Ottawa
chatbox wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 5:01 pm
I totally get it. I'm not a person of patience....and that kind of shopping experience just ruins the excitement for me.
Yeah, it's always out of stock, and then when it's available, you pay your money up front, and wait a few months. And you hope you don't get dinged with extra brokeage fees and duties. Totally annoying to buy anything from them.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2814 posts
771 upvotes
I got my AKG K7XX Red Edition from Massdrop a few years ago. Perhaps it was just that there were many lined up to get them but I don't recall waiting for more than a few weeks for mine. If something is truly remarkable, it's worth the wait. If you lack patience, you'll inevitably end up with something you're not satisfied with because of being bitten by the "have to have it now" bug.
Nov 10, 2013
241 posts
86 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 3:23 pm
This is true, some of the higher end DACs only cost $20-30 to purchase

Could you give me an example?
Jan 29, 2009
98 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
frugalfruit wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:36 pm
Well, the ratings are based on the measurements done on an average ear that has been very carefully designed. The dummy head is supposed to cost $10 ~ 25K(?)

It is possible that the average ear does not match yours. Unfortunately, short of buying headphones, trying them and returning them, this is the only solution that exists right now.

Beyerdynamic and JBL have some technology that calibrates the sound by emitting sound into your ears and measuring them. Not sure how good they are.
I'll take the RTing's reviews with a grain of salt. They have the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless ranked in top 5 score for critical listening ?!?Face With Tears Of Joy

They have the Bose QC35ii ranked higher than the HD600 for critical listening. These are two cans that I own personally. I bought the QC35ii based on RTings review and they do not sound remotely better than the HD600.
Feb 11, 2016
265 posts
171 upvotes
Keitho wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 3:48 pm
I'll take the RTing's reviews with a grain of salt. They have the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless ranked in top 5 score for critical listening ?!?Face With Tears Of Joy

They have the Bose QC35ii ranked higher than the HD600 for critical listening. These are two cans that I own personally. I bought the QC35ii based on RTings review and they do not sound remotely better than the HD600.
The Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless is rate higher for critical listening because it is very close to their target FR and the distortion stays below 0.2% which is outstanding.
Whether we like the results or not, measurements don't lie.

If you feel that those headphones don't deserve the rating, the onus is on you to prove it. Why should we take your subjective opinion as more correct than rtings?