• Jun 26th, 2013 10:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1146 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cool canuck wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:40 pm
I eyeballed cutting a sim to microsim using just some dull scissors, and it worked no problem. Not sure if i got lucky (i did have my microsim to compare to while cutting), but i found it really easy to do. Not sure about cutting to nano-sim though.
I do this all the time, I don't even need a regular sim adapter. Just put it where the contacts are and it'll be held in place by the bracket. Nano-sim I'm more worried about though.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
1705 posts
375 upvotes
Ottawa
For those of you on a tight budget but with the hands of an epilectic meth freak jonesing for your first morning cup of coffee, there is a cheaper alternative, only $1.63 + $2.16 shipping costs delivered to your door by China Post's "slow boat from China" mail service.
A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2010
1101 posts
350 upvotes
Montreal
Micro is easy to cut, but the nano if you're going from full sized sim or micro to nano, you crunch some of the metal

Not a pretty site but it works!
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24043 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Mobilicity and they don't have a cutter, but they want me to instead buy a new Micro-SIM for $20. Is there a place maybe at Pacific Mall that has cutters for sale or who can do it for me?
Devotion wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 6:00 pm
Download the template online and cut it yourself, saves you $6.50.
def47 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 12:30 am
Yep, it should fit an adapter
Here's a template, just print it, put your sim card above and use your ruler to make lines on your card. Then cut it! simple.
What will be the chances I break it?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16863 posts
125 upvotes
YVR
Is it easy to cut the sim card with this device? Lots of force required to cut through the sim card?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
3078 posts
632 upvotes
I have one of these and it is P.O.S
you'll do better job with scissors and template
Apr 14, 2005
36 posts
Montreal
Will this cut regular normal SIM down to size for Iphone 4?
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24043 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
It took a while, but I just cut my SIM... managed to do in such a way that I can use the cut out as an adapter.
Sep 25, 2007
507 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I went to a cellphone store (Bell one, I think) and they did it for free for me. So if you're unsure about cutting it yourself and live/commute near any cellphone store, just ask. :) I still have the outside bit so I could put the sim back in it and use it with my old phone.
Dec 20, 2004
906 posts
264 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RT Wolf wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:02 pm
I went to a cellphone store (Bell one, I think) and they did it for free for me. So if you're unsure about cutting it yourself and live/commute near any cellphone store, just ask. :) I still have the outside bit so I could put the sim back in it and use it with my old phone.
Bell ? Bell did something for free ? They didn't want you to buy an accessory, do a cartwheel and only then get something for free ;) Most of the small cell shops in the middle of the malls will do it.. sometimes they charge a small fee, but nothing major...

Not all carriers (especially PAYG) offer nano sims (some don't even offer micro sims).. I know for example Petro Canada Mobility still only has large regular sims only...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3152 posts
160 upvotes
Markham
def47 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 6:20 pm
or buy it for 3.87$, cut someone's micro sim for 4$ and you're already in profit.

we're on RFD are we not? :)
brilliant
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2197 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
I want to swap the PC Mobile mini-SIM in my LG Optimus One with the Virgin Mobile micro-SIM in my Nexus 10.

This thread has been informative. I'm about ready to cut the min-SIM myself. But I need a carrier to convert the micro-SIM to a mini-SIM.

Various reviews on DX hint that the carriers supplied with some cutters are too thick.

I bought one of these today but found that the slot was too small for my micro-SIM: http://www.infonec.ca/site/main.php?mod ... &id=462689

Any recommendation for micro to mini converters?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1481 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
For those that need to get their sim cut fast, just go to any cell phone kiosk at your local or closet mall. They'll have a cutter and should charge $2-3 at most.
× < >