Page 1 of 2

Amazon.ca - Micro/Nano SIM Cutter + Free Shipping $6.50

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 4:45 pm
by tdott
Thought this was a good deal.

I travel alot for work and sometimes it's hard to find a nano sim for my unlocked iPhone 5. This way I can carry this with me and purchase a regular sim and not have to worry about cutting/hacking one up and possibly ruining it if I can't find a nano.

If you only need to cut 1 SIM then this probably isn't useful for you, your better off trying to cut it with the ruler and knife if you want to save money.

$6.50 includes free shipping.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A7OU0RC

Re: Amazon.ca - Micro/Nano SIM Cutter + Free Shipping $6.50

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 4:52 pm
by nellium
Prices range on this, DX is probably one of the better sources to get. But amazon does offer a great return/buyer policy

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 4:58 pm
by def47
I bought my micro-sim cutter and my nano-sim cutter
on aliexpress and received both for about 4$ each

example: 3.87$ for this one.. ok might not be a reputable seller, but search for a better one, or take a chance.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micro-Si ... 90495.html

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 5:13 pm
by Jeff18
I'd say that this is a pretty good deal considering if you buy locally, the SIM adapters are already ~$3-$5 and this would probably ship a lot faster than DX, etc.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 5:40 pm
by cool canuck
I eyeballed cutting a sim to microsim using just some dull scissors, and it worked no problem. Not sure if i got lucky (i did have my microsim to compare to while cutting), but i found it really easy to do. Not sure about cutting to nano-sim though.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 5:55 pm
by Variability
Isn't a nano or micro sim only $10? How many are you cutting that this is a viable purchase? O_o

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 5:56 pm
by MafiaHitman
I ordered one, thanks OP.

Don't have an iPhone 5 (yet) but I cut my sim too small for my 4s (still works but my phone gets hot if it shifts) and that micro to nano adapter would be perfect to fix my issue. Figured it would cost me $2-3 anyways, so for a few extra bucks I get the cutter too.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 5:57 pm
by wongbr
Variability wrote: Isn't a nano or micro sim only $10? How many are you cutting that this is a viable purchase? O_o
Depends where you intend on going. Not everywhere supplies a nano sim (especially if you go to Asia with all the prepaid/paygo sims).

I found getting one of these super useful for cutting micro sims. The nano sim cutter I have kind of bends the thing so it's not as accurate as I would like

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 6:00 pm
by Devotion
Download the template online and cut it yourself, saves you $6.50.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 6:20 pm
by def47
Devotion wrote: Download the template online and cut it yourself, saves you $6.50.
or buy it for 3.87$, cut someone's micro sim for 4$ and you're already in profit.

we're on RFD are we not? :)

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 7:38 pm
by Zenthar
Variability wrote: Isn't a nano or micro sim only $10? How many are you cutting that this is a viable purchase? O_o
wongbr wrote: Depends where you intend on going. Not everywhere supplies a nano sim (especially if you go to Asia with all the prepaid/paygo sims).
Moreover, if you switch phone and need to change SIM size, the 5-10$ SIM might be nothing but some provider will charge you for activation again which can be 25-35$.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 11:57 pm
by def47
I should add in this thread that I just used a cutter like this for someone on kijiji.
and I cut his sim card down to nano-sim and it worked in an iphone 5!
Even if it says everywhere that it needs to get sanded, because the nano is 20% more thin than a sim card (and micro sim).

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 12:26 am
by Fantaz
Are there places that do this for free in Toronto? (Cell shops downtown?) I just got my Nexus 4 and need my Mobilicity one cut, today if possible.
Devotion wrote: Download the template online and cut it yourself, saves you $6.50.
But if I cut myself, will it fit into an adapter after?

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 12:30 am
by def47
Fantaz wrote: Are there places that do this for free in Toronto? (Cell shops downtown?) I just got my Nexus 4 and need my Mobilicity one cut, today if possible.

Yep, it should fit an adapter
Here's a template, just print it, put your sim card above and use your ruler to make lines on your card. Then cut it! simple.

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 1:53 am
by SuspectOnTheRun
Fantaz wrote: Are there places that do this for free in Toronto? (Cell shops downtown?) I just got my Nexus 4 and need my Mobilicity one cut, today if possible.

Dang. I'd do it for you but I just loaned out my cutter.

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 2:43 am
by sengook
cool canuck wrote: I eyeballed cutting a sim to microsim using just some dull scissors, and it worked no problem. Not sure if i got lucky (i did have my microsim to compare to while cutting), but i found it really easy to do. Not sure about cutting to nano-sim though.
I do this all the time, I don't even need a regular sim adapter. Just put it where the contacts are and it'll be held in place by the bracket. Nano-sim I'm more worried about though.

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 9:10 am
by pauldryan
For those of you on a tight budget but with the hands of an epilectic meth freak jonesing for your first morning cup of coffee, there is a cheaper alternative, only $1.63 + $2.16 shipping costs delivered to your door by China Post's "slow boat from China" mail service.
[IMG]http://img.sunsky-online.com/upload/sto ... 8019_1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 9:56 am
by wongbr
Micro is easy to cut, but the nano if you're going from full sized sim or micro to nano, you crunch some of the metal

Not a pretty site but it works!

Posted: Jan 22nd, 2013 3:30 pm
by Fantaz
I went to Mobilicity and they don't have a cutter, but they want me to instead buy a new Micro-SIM for $20. Is there a place maybe at Pacific Mall that has cutters for sale or who can do it for me?
def47 wrote: Yep, it should fit an adapter
Here's a template, just print it, put your sim card above and use your ruler to make lines on your card. Then cut it! simple.
What will be the chances I break it?

Posted: Jan 23rd, 2013 6:24 am
by Sgt_Strider
Is it easy to cut the sim card with this device? Lots of force required to cut through the sim card?