• Nov 22nd, 2018 11:52 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Mora 511 Black / Yellow Knife $10.99

Knife collector here and I like to report when I see good deals.

The Swedish made Mora 511 Craftline knife is currently $10.99. These knives have a legendary reputation as outstanding budget blades, for outdoor use, utility use, use in trades, etc.

Must buy the Black / Yellow version, other color version are $13+. The black / yellow is a good combo for looking non weapon-ish, and easily finding it if you drop it outdoors. 3.6 inch blade, so not too big and scary looking to the general public.
This lowest end Mora knife is pretty much price fixed and low margin and any sort of discount is attractive.

This is Carbon steel hardened to HRC 58-60, so this is great value, amazing quality steel for the money.

Historic low according to Cameldrops as this knife has not been under $12 recently in Canada. Good time to stock up if you need it. Great utility knife and should be safe for food prep if you use mineral oil on the blade. Plastic handle is better than the rubber found in the more expensive versions, for food prep and sanitation.
This is about as cheap as Moras ever get in Canada these days and this is pretty much the best utility knife you can buy for the money. Please note that these are fixed blade knives and need to be carried in a sheath.

Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 5th, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited retailer
41 replies
Apr 10, 2009
131 posts
91 upvotes
Not yellow but more like green. Ugly imo.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
pres_00 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:06 pm
Not yellow but more like green. Ugly imo.
Mar 7, 2017
600 posts
180 upvotes
Ham, ON
I used to have price alerts set for the moras of interest - and now I own maybe 8 of them in varying configurations of blade shape/steel/colour/length. Fantastic knives. I always take a Mora Companion in Stainless as a dedicated food knife while camping.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by DealFixation on Sep 5th, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
Reviews say the knife is more yellow than green, but I will confirm when I receive mine. These knives are fixed blade "users" and are not intended to be gentleman's knives, etc. There are other colour choices at $12.99. They are all pretty ugly in my opinion so I'd just pick the cheapest option.

You can change the handle colour with grip tape, etc. and many people use custom sheaths.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
DealFixation wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:09 pm
I used to have price alerts set for the moras of interest - and now I own maybe 8 of them is carrying configurations of blade shape/steel/colour/length. Fantastic knives. I always take a Mora Companion in Stainless as a dedicated food knife while camping.
The stainless Mora knives are also great. Softer steel and easier to maintain. Unfortunately there is no stainless option at $10.99. The general consensus among knife snobs is that the Carbon steel will hold an edge longer vs stainless (HRC 58-60 vs 56-58).
Nov 16, 2011
738 posts
457 upvotes
HAMILTON
" Not yellow but more like green. Ugly imo."

and thank you for that valuable and pertinent input ....
Jan 20, 2018
63 posts
48 upvotes
Yeah it can hold an edge slightly longer and can get a bit sharper.

But the stainless version has a sharp edges back so you can throw sparks using it. The carbon edges are soft. You have to take more care with the carbon steel versions, if you want it to look nice at least. I know mine started rusting/corroding overnight from dew while camping.

Both are good options but I prefer the stainless and honestly I'd pay 15% extra to not have to maintain the knife as much and it be more practical.
Mar 7, 2017
600 posts
180 upvotes
Ham, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:11 pm
The stainless Mora knives are also great. Softer steel and easier to maintain. Unfortunately there is no stainless option at $10.99. The general consensus among knife snobs is that the Carbon steel will hold an edge longer vs stainless (HRC 58-60 vs 56-58).
I have used both and have been very satisfied with both. I recommend either to anyone.
For anyone who doesn't know, the carbon steel will patina and show discoloration - even with the most anal of care. I am fine with it, it is just what happens with carbon steel. Some even like the discoloration because it can add character. But for these rock bottom prices, I would say for anyone who is concerned, don't let the steel hold you back. You will get tremendous value here for sure.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
For those who are concerned about the carbon steel rusting... you can soak the new blade in vinegar or lemon juice to force a patina, this will darken and protect the blade. Light oiling with mineral oil or olive oil should protect from rust. See below for example of a carbon steel Mora patina.

Generally it is very expensive and difficult to get a knife affordably that offers a hardness of HRC 58-60, which is why the carbon steel Mora is very attractive to knife people. The stainless version is HRC 56-58 which is easily found affordably in other budget knives such as Victorinox, Sanrenmu etc.

If you are using in rust prone environments, or want that clean shiny blade look, or won't keep the blade clean, then the stainless is a better option.

Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Sep 5th, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 12, 2017
221 posts
120 upvotes
Hmm I'm going camping but I'm not entirely sure what I would use it for lol

What do you use it for?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
dptrain wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:31 pm
Hmm I'm going camping but I'm not entirely sure what I would use it for lol

What do you use it for?
Camping, utility use, cutting boxes etc. Could be used for food prep. Very good knife for tradespeople as well. You definitely should not go camping without a knife of some sorts, Mora or otherwise.

People use the bigger Moras for batoning (splitting firewood), but I would recommend the Mora Heavy Duty or robust if someone is really gonna beat on it. Those are $20 to $25 and have much thicker blades, better for outdoor use, worse for general use and food cutting, etc.

Not a great EDC (everyday carry knife) as it's fixed blade and the sheath is very bright and ugly. It's a really good beater / user knife for the kitchen, toolbox etc.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Sep 5th, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 18, 2008
357 posts
453 upvotes
BC
The correct colour is chartreuse yellow.

Think, highlighter, hi-vis safety.

Nothing hurts quite like OOS.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
MandomRix wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:40 pm
The correct colour is chartreuse yellow.

Think, highlighter, hi-vis safety.
Yeah, looks pretty fluorescent yellow to me. Great for utility use and camping, hard to lose it, looks very non weapon-ish and like a tool.