Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Mr.Heater, little buddy MH4B 3800btu 53.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2018 9:22 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON

[Amazon.ca] Mr.Heater, little buddy MH4B 3800btu 53.99

Amazon.ca and Lowe's.ca have the Mr.Heater Little Buddy on sale for 53.99. This is nice for ice fishing, working in a non heated garage etc. It says indoor safe but I'd use caution nonetheless.
Lowest price to date according to CCC.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005EEZDW2/ref ... 00_TE_dp_1
You can use the email 10$ off at Lowe's and order online, making this even cheaper at 43.99+tax.
https://www.lowes.ca/patio-heaters/mr-h ... lsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 17th, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added retailer to title
35 replies
Temp. Banned
Apr 13, 2016
747 posts
491 upvotes
Looks good but please DO NOT use this indoors. For indoors, you want a ceramic heater or one of those oil filled radiators.
[Inappropriate signature]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3363 posts
3732 upvotes
Toronto
snipzy wrote: Looks good but please DO NOT use this indoors. For indoors, you want a ceramic heater or one of those oil filled radiators.
Are there any alternatives that don't require electricity? Oil/ceramic both require 110V correct?
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Are there any alternatives that don't require electricity? Oil/ceramic both require 110V correct?
That's the whole point, the ones that don't require electricity are either propane or kerosene fueled. Kerosene is the worst in terms of clean burning vs propane or butane, it stinks. Carbon monoxide is the threat with any fuel heaters when used indoors.
Jun 10, 2007
329 posts
195 upvotes
Whitehorse
i wouldn't bet my life on it by any stretch of the imagination (in other words - never sleep with this on indoors) but it supposedly has "Automatic low oxygen shutoff system" - whatever that means.

On the other hand; it is also "Mass approved" so I guess you can take it in to church with you - just so long as you don't fall asleep - in which case, see my first comment.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
normanh wrote: i wouldn't bet my life on it by any stretch of the imagination (in other words - never sleep with this on indoors) but it supposedly has "Automatic low oxygen shutoff system" - whatever that means.

On the other hand; it is also "Mass approved" so I guess you can take it in to church with you - just so long as you don't fall asleep - in which case, see my first comment.
On a full canister this will burn for roughly 4-5 hours as it doesn't have a variable heat control. In a normal size room(8ftx10ft), that isn't completely airtight as in most homes, the fuel would run out before the noxious gas levels became dangerous . You might get a slight headache I guess.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: On a full canister this will burn for roughly 4-5 hours as it doesn't have a variable heat control. In a normal size room(8ftx10ft), that isn't completely airtight as in most homes, the fuel would run out before the noxious gas levels became dangerous . You might get a slight headache I guess.
Can't one just have a CO detector as well in the same room this thing runs?

What is the cost for a 1L butane to use with this? Is Costco the cheapest? I think they were selling the 20L for $9 or something.
May 4, 2015
62 posts
189 upvotes
ON
Messerschmitt wrote: Can't one just have a CO detector as well in the same room this thing runs?

What is the cost for a 1L butane to use with this? Is Costco the cheapest? I think they were selling the 20L for $9 or something.
All of Mr.Heater buddy units have Automatic low oxygen shutoff system, I use my buddy heater tent camping and hunting all the time
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2012
1345 posts
314 upvotes
NEWMARKET
Whats rated safe and what is ACTUALLY safe are two different things.

These things have the potential of making you very ill.

Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Can't one just have a CO detector as well in the same room this thing runs? What is the cost for a 1L butane to use with this? Is Costco the cheapest? I think they were selling the 20L for $9 or something.
For use inside a relatively air-tight small room (in a building or in a van, as opposed to "in a tent"), it would be wise to have a CO detector in the same room.
Also, this is not designed to work with "butane" nor with "1L containers".
The tank connection will fit only only those 1lb disposable propane cylinders that mate with No. 600 valve connection. These 1lb cylinders are actually filled with LPG ("liquefied petroleum gas"), but everybody calls them "propane cylinders", mostly because, in the U.S. and Canada, LPG consists primarily of propane (minimum 85%, typically 95%) with just 1%-2% traces of butane present. In many European countries, however, the propane content in LPG can be as low as 50%, with up to 50% being butane.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
ahoroba wrote: For use inside a relatively air-tight small room (in a building or in a van, as opposed to "in a tent"), it would be wise to have a CO detector in the same room.
Also, this is not designed to work with "butane" nor with "1L containers".
The tank connection will fit only only those 1lb disposable propane cylinders that mate with No. 600 valve connection. These 1lb cylinders are actually filled with LPG ("liquefied petroleum gas"), but everybody calls them "propane cylinders", mostly because, in the U.S. and Canada, LPG consists primarily of propane (minimum 85%, typically 95%) with just 1%-2% of butane. In many European countries, however, the propane content in LPG can be as low as 50%, with up to 50% being butane.
There should be no CO at all unless there is a lack of oxygen or a combustion chamber problems. Its the other stuff you need to worry about, the fumes, VOCs , particulates, benzenes, sulfur compounds etc. Breathing exhaust is not known to improve your health.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
I have done a bit of debating/research and if you are planning to work in your garage often I would recommend getting it wired up for 220V. I made an extension cord that connected to my dryer plug at my previous home. You can find used 220V heaters often enough at ~$50, I think I found mine for $25. The 110V heaters don't work very well unless pointed directly at you from a few feet away.

Other than air quality, you may also want to consider what you are working with as the fumes/flame from the propane heater may react/mix with other fumes (from glues, paint, etc). Electric seems to be the safest for air quality but the propane would be faster at heating the space. If using a heater once a month - I'd probably keep the garage door open a bit for air flow and go with propane but I'm in the garage more often than that.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
Dex wrote: I have done a bit of debating/research and if you are planning to work in your garage often I would recommend getting it wired up for 220V. I made an extension cord that connected to my dryer plug at my previous home. You can find used 220V heaters often enough at ~$50, I think I found mine for $25. The 110V heaters don't work very well unless pointed directly at you from a few feet away.

Other than air quality, you may also want to consider what you are working with as the fumes/flame from the propane heater may react/mix with other fumes (from glues, paint, etc). Electric seems to be the safest for air quality but the propane would be faster at heating the space. If using a heater once a month - I'd probably keep the garage door open a bit for air flow and go with propane but I'm in the garage more often than that.
How much are you going to be paying for heating a garage with electricity ? If you need something g permanent , run a gas line and put a proper heater in there . Something like this http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... 64QAvD_BwE
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15993 posts
7449 upvotes
RFD
Really what scenarios do people use this for? Seems like it has more cons than pros...other than camping, not sure why you would use this compared to the safer alternatives
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1569 posts
1156 upvotes
Ice fishing, working in a shed/garage, camping, heat at a remote cottage. These have lots of uses, even if you have power. I think the dangers highlighted above are real but are exaggerated. Most places where you would use one of these heaters wouldn't be air tight. Plus you're probably opening the door everyone and a while which lets in some fresh air. In the past when I've used them in a shed I've had a CO detector as a precaution but it never picked up anything on the display (I know it worked because exhaust from the generator I was using did leak inside once).
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: How much are you going to be paying for heating a garage with electricity ? If you need something g permanent , run a gas line and put a proper heater in there . Something like this http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... 64QAvD_BwE
Call me paranoid but if going with natural gas I'd go all the way and use a vented heater. I can't justify the cost of that right now though. I am in the garage fairly often as it's part of my workshop but I also have the basement. At my new place I currently get by without any heaters but I have suffered on the really cold days (-20C) where I wish I had a 220V plug in the garage. My garage walls are insulated but have not yet insulated the garage doors. I figure I'd be fairly comfortable if I had a heater set to 5C or 10C and wouldn't be spending enough money on electricity to justify a vented natural gas heater once the garage doors are insulated. Depends on your situation and how afraid you are of fumes, CO, fire, etc. I also have a wife and 2 kids so I prefer the lower risk.

Insulating the garage walls and door really make a difference so ideally this should be done first.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12692 posts
7858 upvotes
Paris
I got one of these with a cup holder attachment for a golf cart when a cdn tire moved locally for 10 bucks. Works great for soccer fields and golf cart cold days.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
Too expensive for such a small heater.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
gw105 wrote: Too expensive for such a small heater.
You should link something comparable for cheaper if you're gonna drop by and make such comments, no ?
I'd like to save some money if you could show us how .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)