• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 5:27 am
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
126 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria

[Amazon Canada] Muse: The Brain Sensing Headband - $199.99 $100 Off

Never tried it but the reviews look good. C3 shows it just off an all time low. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Cal.
16 replies
May 26, 2013
92 posts
22 upvotes
Guelph
I got one, it's pretty cool. I find it very beneficial. But you gotta use it.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19201 posts
121823 upvotes
GTA
I would say to try a Headspace trial or other cheap/free app before plunking down $200 for this. I like gadgets as much as the next guy but this seems like something you may use for a few days and then never use again.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1336 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 2:25 pm
I would say to try a Headspace trial or other cheap/free app before plunking down $200 for this. I like gadgets as much as the next guy but this seems like something you may use for a few days and then never use again.
Don't have one but try to mediate daily. I think the plus for this is the auditory ques when you are losing focus, it should help you get back on track. Sure you could do this on your own but it's hard and this should make it easier while you develop your practice.
On the fence about buying.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
126 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
dannyphones wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 3:30 pm
Don't have one but try to mediate daily. I think the plus for this is the auditory ques when you are losing focus, it should help you get back on track. Sure you could do this on your own but it's hard and this should make it easier while you develop your practice.
On the fence about buying.
I'm also on the fence. Biofeedback would be very helpful, but not sure if it is worth $200.

Thanks,
Cal.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2797 posts
1168 upvotes
Canada
I like that everyone is thinking about this...
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1368 posts
147 upvotes
Kitchener
What does this do that a pair of earbuds and YouTube won't accomplish?
May 12, 2007
146 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks op! I've been trying to use headspace for a while, but I've had a lot of difficulty quieting my thoughts. I'll give this a try and see if it helps. I'm looking at this like training wheels for meditation, and will be using it as a tool to help me develop the skill.

This can also be of use to you if gathering EEG data is valuable in your profession. They have some tools to track and visualize the raw data, as well as an SDK for developers to integrate into their projects. More info available here.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5605 posts
158 upvotes
came here thinking they finally made a brainwave computer mouse!
[OP]
Sep 22, 2010
126 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
X-Nemesis wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 4:56 pm
What does this do that a pair of earbuds and YouTube won't accomplish?
Biofeedback. Lets you know when you're losing focus. Not entirely sure how well it works, or how it works, but in principle sounds like a solid idea.

Thanks,
Cal.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2390 posts
857 upvotes
Montreal
Serious question.

Why do you need something to tell you you're losing focus.

You know you're losing focus, you're thinking about it. I mean it's your brain, you know when you start thinking about other stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1336 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
vonblock wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 8:48 am
Serious question.

Why do you need something to tell you you're losing focus.

You know you're losing focus, you're thinking about it. I mean it's your brain, you know when you start thinking about other stuff.
Like I said before, I think it's the auditory ques that will be worth while and for data heads you can quantify your practice.
Jul 20, 2016
18 posts
6 upvotes
Once you start practicing your awareness will grow to the point of recognizing when your thoughts are off track quicker, and you won't need this headband. It shouldn't take very long if you practice diligently everyday.