Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NAD Viso HP50 Headphones (Red) - Lightning Deal $165.37

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 8:15 pm
Jan 12, 2017
12 posts
9 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] NAD Viso HP50 Headphones (Red) - Lightning Deal $165.37

I picked up the white version of these headphones last week as they were on a lightning deal. With Red being my favourite colour, I wish I had waited as they are now on sale for the next 13 hours...oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
I've used my white ones the past couple days and they are great passive headphones. Extremely happy with the value at this deal price, I might scoop up this deal and gift the white ones during the holidays!

*Apologies for the previously shortened url.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I ordered these for $275 + 13% tax at an NAD-authorized shop a week ago, and I have to say that these are pretty damn great. Their instrument separation is excellent at this price range and many people will like the forward mids, along with the clear but short of spiking trebles. The midbass is slightly boosted and a little less precise, but is not fatiguing on the ears at all.

The accessories are well thought out, with a soft but not cheap-feeling carrying case, a 1/4" adapter, a double-pronged airplane adapter, a flat TRRS to normal 3.5mm cable, and a flat TRRS to TRRS cable with a Apple volume/playback remote control. There's even a small box that carries the cables and adapters which fits right under the headband in the carrying case.

There are a few issues that need to be laid out, however:

1. Despite being around-ear headphones, the rectangular earpads may not cover your ears completely

2. The earphones swivel towards the front of your head rather than the back when placed on your head, which may create a gap in the seal towards the earlobes.

3. The headband may create an amount of downwards pressure on your head, depending on your head shape and size, making them fatiguing to wear

4. Purchasing from an unauthorized distributor or seller means that NAD will not honor the headphone's 2 year warranty, so you are at the mercy of the seller if anything goes wrong

5. In the case that you purchase from NAD or one of their authorized sellers, you cannot return the item for refund. They only do exchanges and repairs.
Last edited by loserga on Oct 8th, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
What other headphones have you guys compared these to? any insights in the sound quality?

Cheers,
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
The competition includes but is not limited to:

Oppo PM-3, PSB M4U1 (by same engineer), Audio Technica MSR7
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
yes, the fit on these is a bit odd and cup is small and square which means they won't work well for everybody. But they are my go-to headphones when I want a truly neutral full-range headphone (maybe the bass is just a tad elevated). If they were more comfortable I would probably sell off my HD600.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I'm listening to them right now with my S7 edge and can tell exactly where my phone is crap compared to a DAP. It's even more in my face than with the Q701s.
Nov 5, 2008
404 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
2 more hours left!
warpdrive wrote: yes, the fit on these is a bit odd and cup is small and square which means they won't work well for everybody. But they are my go-to headphones when I want a truly neutral full-range headphone (maybe the bass is just a tad elevated). If they were more comfortable I would probably sell off my HD600.
Since you mentioned HD600, how about comparing these to Fidelio X2?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
From reading through reviews and looking at frequency graphs, I don't think they sound anything like each other at all. To start, the Philips are open, while the HP50s are closed headphones...
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
The soundstage is fairly small on these and that’s why it’s still probably good to have an open headphone like the HD600 or X2 around. What I like about these is that, with every piece of music I throw at it, there’s never a sense it’s missing something. It’s all there from the deepest bass notes, to the treble which has the perfect level of brightness (doesn’t sound too muffled or grainy), I never feel like reaching for the EQ controls. I like the HD600 for pop music because they take the edge off everything, and usually pop music is already bassy enough, but sometimes I wish the HD600 had more sub-bass if I use them for watching movies or while listening to something with a lot of drums. From my recollections of the X2, the X2 is probably the more “fun” sounding headphone, so if you like the way those sound, you may find the NAD a bit flat sounding.

If somehow NAD made these with higher quality materials with a better fitting earcup and some kind of more advanced (maybe planar) driver to deliver higher levels of detail, these would be the ultimate headphone. Being closed you’re always going to trade off some soundstage/spaciousness but I’m ok with that because I was never a soundstage snob. I’m hoping they come out with a HP100 or something in the future.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Nov 5, 2008
404 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the detailed review. I asked about the comparison between X2 and HP50 because I remembered you were the one praising X2 in HD600 series discussion in RFD and made me interested in X2. Guess I remembered it wrong or you no longer have the X2.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
damnu wrote: Thanks for the detailed review. I asked about the comparison between X2 and HP50 because I remembered you were the one praising X2 in HD600 series discussion in RFD and made me interested in X2. Guess I remembered it wrong or you no longer have the X2.
The X2 is way better fitting, feels really well made (and super comfortable) and it's a great musical headphone. I didn't have a need for another "fun" headphone in the $300 range so don't have the X2 anymore. The NAD is all about accuracy and realistic tonality, and I actually use it to judge other headphones for tonality, and it's amazing that some pretty expensive headphones miss the target. As I said, the fit is odd and I can't really use it for more than an hour or so.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)