Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NEST Thermostat 3rd Generation - $244.88

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 10:53 am
35 replies
Feb 7, 2011
479 posts
129 upvotes
Does this sync with NEST smoke & carbon monoxide alarm? What is main difference between this and v2?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9003 posts
5727 upvotes
hiru82 wrote: Saw this on Amazon.ca ... ships from China ... can it be trusted?
I personally would pass on. They have been for $249/259 from Amazon/HD/etc in the past. If you're not in the rush, I would wait.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1752 posts
2720 upvotes
Pallet Town
Just an FYI, Ecobee is releasing their new model on May 3rd. Different product I know, but at the very least it may force Nest to decrease pricing to stay competitive
Nov 7, 2013
42 posts
11 upvotes
Thats good to know, The NEST was going for $299 last weekend (reg $330)
Jan 24, 2014
227 posts
49 upvotes
hiru82 wrote: Thats good to know, The NEST was going for $299 last weekend (reg $330)
Its also going for $299 at chapters online - you can prob find a promo code somewhere online and use ebates!
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10254 posts
6623 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Hawk25 wrote: Just an FYI, Ecobee is releasing their new model on May 3rd. Different product I know, but at the very least it may force Nest to decrease pricing to stay competitive
Yup, in US it has been $50 off likelly due to new model

https://www.amazon.com/Ecobee3-Thermost ... s=ecobee+3
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
I'd be wary of your ability to get warranty support, buying from a third party vendor in China.
Aug 15, 2007
614 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've been doing research and the Ecobee seems like a better buy, especially if you get the additional sensors, because in multi-level living spaces temperature variation is more evident.

Having sensors in key areas make your HVAC system more accommodating and smarter.
Feb 22, 2011
257 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
Hawk25 wrote: Just an FYI, Ecobee is releasing their new model on May 3rd. Different product I know, but at the very least it may force Nest to decrease pricing to stay competitive
Got any information on the new model?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35601 posts
18981 upvotes
I still have very little understanding of why people feel the need to buy a $250 thermostat. This is something you can get a simple programmable thermostat these days for like 1/10th the price, setup like twice a year (for seasonal changes) and leave it alone. I understand there are tinkerers that have cushy jobs and feel the need to adjust the temp of their house while at work bored, watching cat videos, or something, but $250? C'mon. This is getting ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the prices of these things just seems to be going up and up. Weren't the original Nest units like $150 or less? I can't remember now but clearly economies of scale is not kicking in with these things.

The fact that entire routers are available for less than $50 makes me very suspect of the markup on these things as well. Seems like it would be simple enough to produce these things and sell them for like $50-100, tops. Basically all you need is wifi, firmware designed around a thermostat, and some relays and whatnot to control the HVAC. $250 is madness for this (and that's considered a DEAL??!?). I'm pretty surprised there aren't knock-offs from China selling for a fraction of the price off Aliexpress, Gearworst, etc. by now.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10254 posts
6623 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
rwczen wrote: Got any information on the new model?
Supposed to be more Alexa integrated perhaps?

https://www.cnet.com/news/rumored-next- ... xa-smarts/
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10254 posts
6623 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ES_Revenge wrote: I still have very little understanding of why people feel the need to buy a $250 thermostat. This is something you can get a simple programmable thermostat these days for like 1/10th the price, setup like twice a year (for seasonal changes) and leave it alone. I understand there are tinkerers that have cushy jobs and feel the need to adjust the temp of their house while at work bored, watching cat videos, or something, but $250? C'mon. This is getting ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the prices of these things just seems to be going up and up. Weren't the original Nest units like $150 or less? I can't remember now but clearly economies of scale is not kicking in with these things.

The fact that entire routers are available for less than $50 makes me very suspect of the markup on these things as well. Seems like it would be simple enough to produce these things and sell them for like $50-100, tops. Basically all you need is wifi, firmware designed around a thermostat, and some relays and whatnot to control the HVAC. $250 is madness for this (and that's considered a DEAL??!?). I'm pretty surprised there aren't knock-offs from China selling for a fraction of the price off Aliexpress, Gearworst, etc. by now.
I hear ya'!!

Even with $100 rebate thru Enbridge on smart tstats still using $30 HD Honeywell tstat with 7 day program. If can get for $100 after rebate then might consider.

Heck, with our current tstat we just set it and maybe once in a while adjust for night.
Sep 9, 2010
242 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought my 3rd Gen Boxing Day at Indigo and used Masterpass. Total was $225.00 after tax & free ship and with the $100 rebate ended up being $125 all in. That's the type of deal you should be looking at. $300 for a thermostat is just insane.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
ES_Revenge wrote: I still have very little understanding of why people feel the need to buy a $250 thermostat.
My understanding (from those that have them, I've never been able to justify the cost myself) is that the ability to just turn it up or down if you're cold or hot, respectively, and its ability to intelligently determine when you're in the house or not, are big selling points. And the Ecobee's room sensors for adjusting temperatures based on where you are in the house at different times of day are also big selling points. Personally, I can't justify the cost when 99% of the time, my 5+2 programmable thermostat (with separate heating/cooling schedules) does just fine. But if I had money to burn, I wouldn't mind getting one to play with.
Aug 23, 2016
249 posts
70 upvotes
Guelph
biggaroupa wrote: I've been doing research and the Ecobee seems like a better buy, especially if you get the additional sensors, because in multi-level living spaces temperature variation is more evident.

Having sensors in key areas make your HVAC system more accommodating and smarter.
This couldn't be any farther from the truth.

Your HVAC system isn't zoned, so providing sensors in different locations only causes other areas to be over/under cooled/heated. The same way your HVAC system operates. Adding different sensors may make that one trouble area the temperature you want, but it was also throw off the temperature in all the other areas that were fine.

Running your fan on circulation 24/7 would help out more than adding different temp sensors.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
aew0314 wrote: Adding different sensors may make that one trouble area the temperature you want, but it was also throw off the temperature in all the other areas that were fine.
The only use I could think of before for the room sensors was if you want specific rooms at specific temperatures at specific times (master bedroom to be warmer/cooler when sleeping, TV room warmer/cooler when watching TV, etc), and don't care about the rest of the house at those specific times.

But another interesting thing I saw was that the Ecobee room sensors can now be combined with so called "smart vents" to help balance out temperatures: https://www.ecobee.com/2017/02/works-wi ... art-vents/ - a neat, if expensive, idea in theory. I'm curious how it works, in practice.
Aug 23, 2016
249 posts
70 upvotes
Guelph
wearysky wrote: The only use I could think of before for the room sensors was if you want specific rooms at specific temperatures at specific times (master bedroom to be warmer/cooler when sleeping, TV room warmer/cooler when watching TV, etc), and don't care about the rest of the house at those specific times.

But another interesting thing I saw was that the Ecobee room sensors can now be combined with so called "smart vents" to help balance out temperatures: https://www.ecobee.com/2017/02/works-wi ... art-vents/ - a neat, if expensive, idea in theory. I'm curious how it works, in practice.
Those "smart vents" are actually trying to act like zone dampers. Probably not the perfect solution. But it's a start. You just wouldn't​ want too many of them shutting off, causing more stress on the blower, especially if you have a variable speed ECM, this would ramp up your hydro usage as the motor tries to deliver the same amount of CFM now with an increased static pressure.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3045 posts
2144 upvotes
Too lazy to look this up right now but when did the latest Nest come out
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1684 posts
298 upvotes
I believe the remote sensors also have motion detectors. What drew my curiosity was that it could sense the presense of people and adjust the temperature of the rooms accordingly.

Keep in mind that this thing is "smart". Thermostats simply turn on the heating when it gets cool and turns it off when it reaches a high temperature. I would bet that these "smart" thermostats do something more complicated like cycle on a more sophisticated method. Mix in the remote sensors and it does something that's not the same as putting the thermostat with a single thermometer in another room.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)