[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
644 posts
193 upvotes
London, ON

[Amazon Canada] NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch - $68.93

What do you think?

Don't forget Great Canadian Rebates or Ebates as well
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 20th, 2019 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated retailer to Amazon Canada
[removed for signature violation]
99 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1011 posts
571 upvotes
AB
Pretty good price, got for $74 last June
Dec 13, 2008
182 posts
53 upvotes
Will be moving into a new house by the end of summer with quite a few Ethernet connections to each of the rooms (10+).

Looking for a switch but not sure if I should future proof myself with more ports or if i should get a "managed" switch. Any suggestions?
I'm just here for the deals....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29555 posts
15398 upvotes
Ottawa
blisterd_nuts wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 9:54 am
Will be moving into a new house by the end of summer with quite a few Ethernet connections to each of the rooms (10+).

Looking for a switch but not sure if I should future proof myself with more ports or if i should get a "managed" switch. Any suggestions?
Wouldn't a managed switch would be 5x the cost?
Dec 7, 2016
68 posts
52 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote:

What kind of complicated network are you running? Unmanaged switches are probably the way to go for most homes, it's plug and play with no tinkering required.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3510 posts
2189 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:08 am
Wouldn't a managed switch would be 5x the cost?
Not 5x no, but it will cost more yes.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Dec 13, 2008
182 posts
53 upvotes
realazy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:12 am
What kind of complicated network are you running? Unmanaged switches are probably the way to go for most homes, it's plug and play with no tinkering required.
Honestly not complicated at all. Internet-->router-->switch-->10+ locations.

The reason why i'm asking is I don't mind spending a little more if I can future proof myself and not sure if a managed switch comes with any cyber security (I guess i'll do a bit more research).

However, the plug and play opportunity along with the good price sounds like this is a no brainer purchase.

Thanks OP!
Last edited by blisterd_nuts on Mar 20th, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just here for the deals....
May 13, 2009
202 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
realazy wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:12 am
As realazy said...what are you doing at home? Running a eCommerce empire, or just plain old home use? This thing has a max of 32Gbps switching: https://www.netgear.com/images/datashee ... _GS348.pdf

The only futurerproof I can think of is if you want to get PoE (Power over ethernet) so that you can connect an access point or webcam and have it powered by Ethernet.
Jun 15, 2018
649 posts
250 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:18 am

The reason why i'm asking is I don't mind spending a little more if I can future proof myself and not sure if a managed switch comes with any cyber security (I guess i'll do a bit more research).

However, the plug and play opportunity along with the good price sounds like this is a no brainer purchase.

Thanks OP!
If you want to future proof then you surely don't want a slow gigabit switch lol
Aug 19, 2004
757 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
This is generally considered to be a very reliable switch.

watch the power supply though, they can go early and give sporadic failure results
Sep 19, 2007
388 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
blisterd_nuts wrote:

Try some "smart" switches like https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG108- ... 00K4DS67C/
Especially if you want to setup some stuff like VLANs
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8228 posts
3361 upvotes
Markham
blisterd_nuts wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks OP!
Unless you're running complex configurations like splitting the network up with VLANs (e.g. if you want to run a PBX VoIP with extensions going to each room) you probably don't need it.