Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 Router - $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2014 12:30 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
kanewtz wrote: I picked this router up for $150 on BF from Bestbuy.

Best router investment I've made. Blows the Airport Time Capsule out of the water and I only have Apple Products:
- rMBP
- MacMini
- AppleTV
- 2x iPad
- 2x iPhone
Me too. Absolutely concur. Best networking investment I've ever made.
betamaxman wrote: Try the usb 3.0 nas feature and let us know what you think.
Is this just curiosity or do you know something? About to invest in a 5TB drive to add to this thing, so it wound be nice to know if there's a problem. ;-)
Dec 8, 2012
330 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
futureshop boxing day sale has it for 169.99
Sep 14, 2005
747 posts
85 upvotes
Etobicoke
obk1988 wrote: futureshop boxing day sale has it for 169.99
Someone will definitely this cheaper for Boxing Day, just who?
Jul 3, 2013
377 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
betamaxman wrote: Try the usb 3.0 nas feature and let us know what you think.
theres an issue I had with ntfs formatted drive. The file directory got broken a lot and either files would corrupt and sometimes give me permission errors. It's a known issue people have been having. Formatted to ext3 and it seems fine. Also made a switch to ddwrt the stock firmware was causing issues with ntfs

I've been using it for xbmc with my aftv. Works pretty good but sometimes buffers and stutters on higher but rates. Could be the aftv or the drive or something else. Haven't tested any other devices.

Overall it's a good way to have a cheap simple solution for a nas. If you need something more stable reliable and efficient id look elsewhere.

Great router and the ready share is pretty good
May 22, 2014
7 posts
Wellington, NZ
silvergate wrote: You could get the ac68u which is on sale at staples plus coupon. Got my ac68u for 150+tax last weekend. I believe the r7000 at this price is the normal price for this router if you would check how many times the router was on this price.
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but I am actually looking for the ac68u and cannot find it for this sort of price right now. I see it at Staples for $219, unless I am missing something. I'd jump on !50+tax in an instant!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1480 posts
764 upvotes
GVR
kaczor47 wrote: Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but I am actually looking for the ac68u and cannot find it for this sort of price right now. I see it at Staples for $219, unless I am missing something. I'd jump on !50+tax in an instant!
Looks like the sale ended. It was on sale for $200 then looked at the staples coupon megathread and luckily found two 25 off 75. I guess it was a lucky day. You could wait till boxing day for a deal with this. Got an a2 revision of the ac68u. I havent opened yet my router.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3071 posts
1585 upvotes
I want to try this router's compatibility with Time Machine...but not sure as to which USB 3 HDD to pair with it :/
Jan 27, 2011
718 posts
773 upvotes
kanewtz wrote: I want to try this router's compatibility with Time Machine...but not sure as to which USB 3 HDD to pair with it :/
Ditto
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
What ever hard drive you want to use, I would think. The drive nor even the file system shouldn’t make any difference as it would be a networked hard drive, and compatibility would be as a result of if and how time machine handles networked storage. Shouldn't be any issue as I believe that netgear uses samba for ready share and samba is compatible with the mac. I would use zfs or ext3 - 4 over ntfs for a file system on the drive myself.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
milhaus wrote: Me too. Absolutely concur. Best networking investment I've ever made.

Is this just curiosity or do you know something? About to invest in a 5TB drive to add to this thing, so it wound be nice to know if there's a problem. ;-)
Some have reported problems with ready share, sounds like permissions issues to me and I believe (just a guess) ntfs related.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
kaczor47 wrote: Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but I am actually looking for the ac68u and cannot find it for this sort of price right now. I see it at Staples for $219, unless I am missing something. I'd jump on !50+tax in an instant!
$168.00, with free shipping for a new unit from this canadian ebay seller seems the lowest price currently. Actually a few bucks cheaper as no tax
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1084 posts
239 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: What ever hard drive you want to use, I would think. The drive nor even the file system shouldn’t make any difference as it would be a networked hard drive, and comparability would be as a result of if and how time machine handles networked storage. Shouldn't be any issue as I believe that netgear uses samba for ready share and samba is compatible with the mac. I would use zfs or ext3 - 4 over ntfs for a file system on the drive myself.
Does anyone know if you partition an external drive with NTFS and Mac Journal then attach it to the router, will the Windows see NTFS and Mac see Mac Journalized?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Makes no difference what file system is being used on any drive that is a networked drive, as far as any operating being able to read/write to it is concerned that can access the drive over the network.

Seems that the drive can be formatted with the mac and does work with time machine as per these instructions
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1084 posts
239 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Makes no difference what file system is being used on any drive that is a networked drive, as far as any operating being able to read/write to it is concerned that can access the drive over the network.

Seems that the drive can be formatted with the mac and does work with time machine as per these instructions
Ya I saw it can work with Mac which is great. What I'm wondering is it still works with a partitioned drive... I have a Home Server running Windows Server and there's no way for Mac Comps to see the Mac Partition on an External drive (that has a Mac Partition) attached to the Windows Server, probably cause the Windows Server doesn't see it.

I'm just wondering if directly attached to the router it will be able to see it since its not going through an OS.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
The netgear tutorial seems to suggest that you can stating "Note: If you can't see the USB partition which you want to use for backup in the Time Machine disk list, go to Mac finder then click on the USB partition in which you want to backup. Then you will see that device in Time Machine list."
Seems to me it all depends on if readyshare supports more than 1 partition on any external drive. Never had a need for more than one partition so can't comment on that myself, but I can't see why it wouldn't, being that the firmware on the r7000 or any router (and given that a router is actually a mini pc), is actually an OS usually a linux derivative. Google doesn’t seem to offer much help on readyshare support for more than 1 partition.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
Ot. New linksys 2400ac is badass
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Jul 28, 2006
243 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary
Futureshop has it for $169 on Boxing Day. wait too see if it goes lower.
Aug 17, 2010
584 posts
157 upvotes
Laval
I picked one up from Staples last night just to see if there'd be an improvement in range and speed throughout my house so I could return the D-Link access point I just installed as well and was pretty impressed. I'm hitting full range and speed throughout my house over 2.4ghz despite living in a very congested area. My question is, between this and the ASUS RT-AC68U that will probably be on sale for boxing day, which one is the better router? I've read a lot of great reviews on both but I've also read about a lot of people's Netgear's having hardware failure after a few months whereas I haven't really read many bad reviews for the ASUS.