Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Amazon.ca: Nikon D3300 Body only - $380

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2015 9:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
craftsman wrote: While the D7x00 series cameras are the highest APS-C sensor Nikon cameras in their current line-up, most real professions won't consider them 'pro' - Nikon doesn't even consider those models pro as they aren't even included in the list of qualified camera bodies Nikon wants their NPS members using... - https://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/8133. The older D300s is however on that list.
As dukati said. And also, if I'm a wild life photographer and making a living out of it, I don't have much choice but a D7200 if I choose to use Nikon. Any FX bodies will be useless as I won't shoot animals at night and I'll lose zoom compared to APS-C body. It's a professionnal equipment for wild life photography but I can also see how no pros will ever use it for fashion or advertisement.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gin Martini wrote: As dukati said. And also, if I'm a wild life photographer and making a living out of it, I don't have much choice but a D7200 if I choose to use Nikon. Any FX bodies will be useless as I won't shoot animals at night and I'll lose zoom compared to APS-C body. It's a professionnal equipment for wild life photography but I can also see how no pros will ever use it for fashion or advertisement.
A wildlife photographer who is making a living out of it would typically only go full frame even if they aren't shooting animals at night. They are looking for a camera sensor provides good colour depth, high dynamic range as well as low light sensitivity - a good FX body does all those things better than a DX body. According to DXOMark (a company who test camera sensors and lenses objectively), the D3300 and the D7200 are pretty close at an overall score of 82 and 87 - both of them DX; however, if you look at the D810 - one Nikon's latest FX bodies - it's in a much different spot at 97. (http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/ ... 8_1020_963). Clearly a FX sensor has more to offer than just being able to shoot animals at night. Besides, a good FX body would also have better focusing (both in terms of speed and tracking) which would be extremely beneficial when shooting wildlife.

Also, if you are making money at it and needed the extra reach, wouldn't you get a good matching teleconverter for the lens you are using so that you can get the best of both worlds?

There are three areas where a DX can't generally touch an FX - weight, size and value. The weight and size of a DX body lends itself to be easier on long trips and hikes and the value positioning (price/feature/results) is outstanding for the newer DX bodies. I know of one professional who buys a starter DX body and beats the (*^(* out it every year - puts 100,000 exposures on the shutter and gets another body the following year because he feels that for the price he doesn't need to worry about it being stolen, dropping it or banging it around so he takes it everywhere and any photographer knows that having the camera with you and ready is a clear advantage in getting "the shot".
Oct 27, 2015
91 posts
29 upvotes
Winnipeg
My daughter picked up the D3300 plus basic lens boxed from Visions for $460 and she is quite happy with the features and ease of use for her being an average photobug. Not sure what the basic lens goes for seperately though. We also checked out Best Buy and they wanted over $500.

We looked at the D3200 and it is an older almost identical model and slighty cheaper but the real difference that most would notice is the display screen graphics as the D3300 is much more modern.

I have been an advanced Canon person most of my adult life but I really like the D3300 as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If anyone has their heart set on the basic kit lens, I would advise to get one used from Craigslist of Kijiji... I'm sure there are lots of people out there who might have upgraded and just want to get rid of the lens. I wouldn't pay more than $50 - $75 for it as kit lenses are a commodity item.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1076 posts
1290 upvotes
NB
If you are not dead set on Nikon, and just want a decent inexpensive dSLR, Amazon has Pentax K50 18-55 kit for $469. A much more versatile 18-135 kit is about $650.

Pros: Fully weatherproof, sensor is very capable in low light, in-body image stabilization that works with any lens, including 1970's vintage glass. It takes AA batteries - great if you travel a lot.

Cons: used Pentax lenses are hard to come by, compared to N and C.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)