Art and Photography -- no taxes? But do they charge duties??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2010 8:07 pm
Nov 18, 2010
131 posts
Toronto -- no taxes? But do they charge duties??

I am thinking about buying some lenses on they are about 10-15% cheaper than in the store and also do NOT charge tax at the final checkout.

Does anyone know if you have to pay brokerage fees/taxes when the stuff is shipped to you?

THe company is called 'Priced Great'

5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1688 posts
Are you sure that it isn't amazon.COM. I didn't think allowed other retailers to list on it.

All of the places selling things on have different shipping rates and rules about shipping Internationally. Some will and some won't ship here.

If it is a high priced item you are probably going to get charged duty and taxes. Depending on who they ship with you may get charged a brokerage charge which sucks!
Feb 9, 2004
600 posts
As far as I know, buyers pay and then pays the sellers. Whatever the buyer paid at checkout should be the final price. This is based on my experience buying from Canadian based Sellers on I bought a brand new Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS from a seller located in Quebec last year and didn't have to pay taxes. I am in the process of buying a 16-35mm from a Seller in Quebec on (just need to confirm warranty and date code with seller). The final price is about 16% cheaper than the cheapest price found on (basically, not having to pay tax).
Mar 29, 2008
820 posts
Jimbobs wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 4:36 pm
I bought a filter - very cheap - from eshopic via Here's their shopfront: ... 8PF7TMJFVZ

Is funny how they price things at different websites. Eshopic for example is selling a filter for around $5 at Ebay with free shipping. The same filter Eshopic is selling at Amazon for $0.49 (some even $0.02) with around $5 shipping. And if you buy a bunch of these filters/items from them at Amazon they charge you individual shipping for each item. Works out to about the same price from the seller at both ebay and amazon.

On a second thought their filters are dirt cheap and people say "you get what you pay". But are the expensive once (10x the price) 10x better ?
Mar 29, 2008
820 posts
budfrogs wrote:
Nov 25th, 2010 3:41 pm

If it is a high priced item you are probably going to get charged duty and taxes. has some details on duties. As per them there is no duty on most of the photographic equipment. There could be some other details too which I am missing but basically this is what it is.
Here's the link ... -equipment
× < >