Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Nordic Pure 16x25x1 MERV-8 Furnace Filter 12-Pack - CAD$85

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2018 11:06 pm
Jun 8, 2012
175 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
rraj2k9 wrote: Amazon has a 12 Pack MERV-8 Nordic Pure 16x25x1 Furnace filter for $85 dollars, which is essentially 7 Dollars/Filter. This is a good deal considering this size filters are rarely seen to be on sale.
Thanks @op I managed to find my size in the 12 pack, but the one with carbon, for $46.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
2088 posts
658 upvotes
harold_callahan wrote: Here is an article from Wirecutter (New York Times) here that recommends getting the Merv12 or going home. :)

-Callahan-
MERV 12 in theory seems to be the better choice, but if your HVAC is not rated for MERV 12, then you are probably going to put undue stress on the motor as the filter gets clogged and reduce the efficiency of your HVAC.

Keep in mind the higher the MERV number the more particles the filter is going to catch, which in turn means you will need to replace the filter sooner than later. I have been using Filtrate Filters rated as MERV 11 and I have to replace my filter once a month, so I decided to go MERV 8.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
3111 posts
3201 upvotes
chimaican wrote: That's what I use.

Not sure what Chewfam is talking about, how is it less sturdy? It slides in and doesn't move. It's a 1" thickness sliding into a 1" slot. What movement would there be?
Its flimsy and by the end of the month the filter ends up bowing from the furnace fan. That makes it hard to remove. I didn't say anything about movement.
It's less sturdy because it doesn't have the extra bracing or is supported with thinner cardboard.

It could very well work for you. Maybe you don't notice or your furnace fan isn't as strong or you have cleaner air and your filter doesn't get dirty and has no differential across it.
No politics in sigs - mods
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
escapehatch wrote: My furnace uses 5" thick filters which I think is quite common. A technician recently told me he uses the shell from a 5" filter and slips a 1" filter in it. Not sure if that's great for the furnace.
Probably works. But the whole point of 5" filters is to get more surface area so you can use merv 11+ filters.
1 inch higher than merv8 filters will choke your hvac system.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)