Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Nvdia Shield TV with remote and controller $259

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2018 6:55 pm
40 replies
Sep 3, 2010
334 posts
402 upvotes
Not a bad deal, too bad this is already after the basic shield tv that was on sale for $229 and the Newegg one (which is this version with remote and controller) for $299 last couple of days. Very tempted to get this. Too bad hardware is already 3 years old :(
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
cerealkiller wrote: Not a bad deal, too bad this is already after the basic shield tv that was on sale for $229 and the Newegg one (which is this version with remote and controller) for $299 last couple of days. Very tempted to get this. Too bad hardware is already 3 years old :(
It is a 3 year old chip, but its a chip specifically designed for the job.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5510 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote: It is a 3 year old chip, but its a chip specifically designed for the job.
And is still the best device out there.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3327 posts
1948 upvotes
What is the difference between this and the Pro (that was on sale at Newegg for $299 earlier this week)?
Is it just the lack of 500GB HDD and the MicroSd slot?
Sep 4, 2009
283 posts
253 upvotes
Milton, ON
flyer12 wrote: What is the difference between this and the Pro (that was on sale at Newegg for $299 earlier this week)?
Is it just the lack of 500GB HDD and the MicroSd slot?
500gb storage and the micro sd card are the two of the main differences but it will come in a bigger form factor. I believe its the same size as when it first came out. The remote is also different ; the pro has a rechargeable remote plus headphone jack whereas the 16gb model has no headphone jack on the remote and uses 2 watch batteries.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2303 posts
2322 upvotes
Montreal
cold deal ,this is a 3 years old ship and was 209$ three years ago at amazon including the remote and the controller ( if i m not mistaken the seller was canadadirect )
buy yourself a time machine,
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
2082 posts
2412 upvotes
Toronto
Bessem wrote: cold deal ,this is a 3 years old ship and was 209$ three years ago at amazon including the remote and the controller ( if i m not mistaken the seller was canadadirect )
What would you recommend then for an Android box if this is a "Cold deal"???
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
Nvidia succeeded in designing a fully-torqued 4K box in 2015, and with the unfortunate murder of Moore's Law in the early 2000s, nothing spectacular came to replace it (within the same price range).

I believe the Xbox X is good enough for box/HTPC purposes if you already have it for gaming, but starting from zero, the Shield is pre-made as a proper 4K box (and more cost-effective if only used for that purpose).
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
Pro:
500gb (standard 2.5 HD can be swapped for larger or ssd) vs 16gb built in flash

Micro sd slot vs none

IR blaster for universal remotes vs none (non-pro you can buy a USB flirc etc.)

Remote is rechargeable (lasts 4-10 days depending on usage) but has a headphone jack which is a godsend if you want to not wake others sleeping. Vs same remote without a headphone jack that lasts about a year with two cr2032 "watch" batteries
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3991 posts
1812 upvotes
Still the best streaming box on the market.

I have 3 in my household.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
2082 posts
2412 upvotes
Toronto
rinse wrote: Still the best streaming box on the market.

I have 3 in my household.
You know how to sideload apps onto this thing? I just received mine from Amazon yesterday. You don't have to reply here. You can pm me if you like
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
Bessem wrote: cold deal ,this is a 3 years old ship and was 209$ three years ago at amazon including the remote and the controller ( if i m not mistaken the seller was canadadirect )

The shield is still the best player in it's class after 3 years & still the only Android TV box capable of being a Plex media server.
If you want a standalone media server with transcoding ability this is the cheapest option.
The next best thing is a Synology NAS or a low-end PC where your spending at least double to start.

Nvidia already had thier event this fall no new revision was announced.
Currently rumors put it at next late summer/fall when there next tegra revision is ready and that's assuming Nintendo doesn't gobble all the inventory for revised unhackable switches.

So yeah if your in market for this kinda box this is your only option for at least a year without spending way more.
Last edited by HiddenEmailer on Sep 26th, 2018 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 7, 2008
287 posts
218 upvotes
Oakville
I bought one about 6 months ago. Having a lot of remote control issues. Could be faulty or a firmware update (just had an update). Something to consider given the cost of these things. Other than that great unit.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2303 posts
2322 upvotes
Montreal
SwaunyJones wrote: What would you recommend then for an Android box if this is a "Cold deal"???
Cold Deal = the price
Cannot found anything better than Nvidia Shield and i do recommend this box,

Item listed as HOT DEAL should consider the article and the : >>>>>>> PRICE <<<<<<<
Last edited by Bessem on Sep 26th, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
Bessem wrote: Cold Deal = the price
Cannot found anything better than Nvidia Shield and i do recommend this box,

Item listed as HOT DEAL should consider the article and the : >>>>>>> PRICE <<<<<<<
I can agree with that the price is quite cold.

Considering the Several sales the last few Months for the non-pro ranged from 145-155USD ( 187.98 to 200.94 CAD) and to add insult to injury the pro was only $40 more than this 2days ago strictly speaking this is cold.

But if your desperate it's better than retail.
Otherwise I'd wait for a real sale even if it involved a US reshipper because it would still be cheaper than this
Sep 4, 2009
283 posts
253 upvotes
Milton, ON
SwaunyJones wrote: You know how to sideload apps onto this thing? I just received mine from Amazon yesterday. You don't have to reply here. You can pm me if you like
download es file explorer from playstore
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
2082 posts
2412 upvotes
Toronto
rocky_man18 wrote: download es file explorer from playstore
ahhh I gotcha. haven't used that app in awhile
Dec 8, 2009
281 posts
169 upvotes
London
SwaunyJones wrote: ahhh I gotcha. haven't used that app in awhile
I would use a different file explorer personally. Try X-Plore. There's been issues with ES file explorer over the years apparently sending data back overseas. Not to mention some annoying bubble/notification that would pop up in the bottom right hand corner that would appear from time to time. ES used to be great but I trust other more.