Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Nvidia Shield with remote $179.00

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2018 6:49 pm
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2008
584 posts
176 upvotes
Anybody know if this the 2015 or 2017 model? Is there an easy way to tell the difference?
Thanks
Jr. Member
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
57 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
I have a fire stick and find it runs kinda sluggish. The fire tv media box is pretty fast. The shield is a Ferrari compared to both however.
Member
Feb 4, 2017
476 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
playerhayter wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:45 am
So I'm torn, here's my thinking:

- I need a box for reliable + easy IPTV service for the wife to be able to access in an instant. I've been told a Mag box fits that profile, but is it really that much better than a Shield in terms of ease-of-use? I guess the main thing is that the Mag box will be a single button click to start watching (just like real tv) vs. the Shield which requires her to navigate to the STBemu app every time?
- I'd be interested in all of the other streaming on-demand stuff that the Shield provides over a Mag, but I've only had a bad experience with that in the past - granted on a shitty Android box, but still it was more the inability for those services to actually find/stream the content I was clicking on.

Would appreciate some advice.
You really have 3 main options:

1) MAG boxes (linux based): Which only runs IPTV. You are not able to install Android apps or play youtube on it,
2) Hybrid boxes (Formuler z7+ or Buzz XPL 3000): These run on Android and have a dedicated IPTV app that replicates the EPG on Rogers & Bell.
3) Android TV boxes (Shield or Mi Box): These are the only Android TV boxes and you will need to install STB Emu to play IPTV.

Personally, I would go with Formuler, you get the best of both worlds and the interface for the IPTV can't be beat (check youtube videos). However, if you decide to go with this deal for Shield, STB Emu is very easy to setup (takes under a minute) as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 17, 2005
4430 posts
1509 upvotes
Markham
Looks to be the new price for all the retailers.

The smart home bundle should be discounted next
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4194 posts
1035 upvotes
Carbooja wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:02 am
After owning a shield then getting a mibox for my second device, I disagree, I returned it and bought a second shield. A shield won't freeze on you, and its running Android TV which is more intuitive to operate.

I just bought my third to gift to one of my employees.

Thanks OP!

The mi box runs Android TV as well. I did get freezes on Nexus Player but never on mi
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1169 posts
405 upvotes
Guelph
lobo wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:39 am
Draws less power than the PS4 pro?
quieter
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
9264 posts
777 upvotes
Vancouver
Why is this a hot deal? I see it quite often for $200-$210.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2008
584 posts
176 upvotes
jestik wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:09 am
Anybody know if this the 2015 or 2017 model? Is there an easy way to tell the difference?
Thanks
NM. I searched around. The newest version removed the micro-SD expansion slot. The photos don't show a micro-SD slot, and there's no mention of it in the description. So it appears like this is the 2017 version.
Member
May 20, 2008
402 posts
191 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:16 am
Why is this a hot deal? I see it quite often for $200-$210.
Lowest price ever.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2008
584 posts
176 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:16 am
Why is this a hot deal? I see it quite often for $200-$210.
Because it's less than $200-210.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7876 posts
1697 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:16 am
Why is this a hot deal? I see it quite often for $200-$210.
Because $179 is less than that...and lowest price recently.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
9264 posts
777 upvotes
Vancouver
bobcat99 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:18 am
Because $179 is less than that...and lowest price recently.
Yeah I though this was the amazon USA deal posted yesterday. Thanks OP. I even managed same day delivery FREE. We will see if that happens. Now I should hopefully have a new toy for the weekend. Great price. I have wanted one for along time.
Last edited by trellaine201 on Nov 8th, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Oct 13, 2018
94 posts
111 upvotes
Also any order after November 2nd on Amazon qualifies for extended return till Jan 19th.

I trust Amazon returns way more than bestbuy. Bestbuy will do everything in their power to avoid a return or will makeup some up shady excuse to cancel your return.

Top