Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Nvidia Shield with remote $179.00

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2018 6:49 pm
Dec 13, 2014
114 posts
31 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I would factory reset and start over. Or you have a dud. My Shield is butter smooth and the complete opposite experience from yours. To the point that I ordered a second and moved the firestick to the guest room tv lol.
TusharN30757 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:12 am
So my experience has not been great with shield compared to firestick4k

Cons (compared to firestick4k)
Slightly stuttery and jaggy
Sometimes apps get stuck on "downloading" from playstore
In prime video the scroll key on the remote does not seek , you got to use the fast forward button . Not intuitive
Wifi loses connection randomly
UI is a mess - can't launch side loaded apps from the main menu (ya I know I can use sideload launcher but meh)
Prime video somehow takes longer to open and play compared to firestick4k
A general feel is sluggishness for a such a powerful hardware
Remote sometimes stops responding or working

Great stuff
The colors somehow look better on shield compared to firestick4k . I have checked all the settings and everything remains the same on the tv , stick and shield but colors feel a little more contrasty on shield than the stick

Native YouTube client .

Sideloading app is so much easier than stick

Conclusion
I might be returning this bad boy as I don't think the streaming capabilities are upto the mark (possibly crippled by Oreo update ?)

I can't believe firestick4k is so damn smooth and everything works perfect for that price. I think Amazon killed it with this one.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3542 posts
1028 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 6:12 am
Omg finally rooted. Pita. Thought I bricked it after booting up twrp img but u can’t use 4K tv afterwards. Had to hookup 1080p tv first. Side loading apps. Google plays store doesn’t have many apps. Not even chrome browser lol
Lucky patcher doesn’t really work on the shield I don’t think

i find it very frusstrating using a keyboard with shield, sometimes u hit enter for a key input and and it wont do anything, i have one usb port blocked off for usb debugging so its PITA to keep switching the keyboard dongle and a wire mouse, i gotta setup a bluetooth mouse and keyboard now
im using that 6$ white primecables keyboard, it has a 'lock' icon button at top right that powers off the shield(not bad) i think it just puts it into sleep mode with green light off)

CD5F975D-4173-468A-8A76-619F3B7F92C4.jpeg
Download the Nvidia Shield TV app on your phone and use the mouse/keyboard function.
Dec 30, 2012
850 posts
356 upvotes
Burlington
I see they are starting to clear out remaining Shield stock as they prepare for launch of an updated model... Hopefully they will have a bundle including controller for a similar price before the end.
Mar 26, 2017
175 posts
42 upvotes
Curious, how well can this stream games from PC to TV? Sometimes I'd like to sit on my couch with my Xbox one controller and play PC games.
Jun 12, 2010
570 posts
133 upvotes
YVR
For someone that won't be using any of the Nvidia Now gaming capabilities.. is this still the right option for me? Or would something like a MiBox or Firestick 4k be sufficient?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6405 posts
1167 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 9:55 am
I see they are starting to clear out remaining Shield stock as they prepare for launch of an updated model... Hopefully they will have a bundle including controller for a similar price before the end.
I have yet to see proof of this
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
3814 posts
3754 upvotes
Do folks realize the Sheild has an internal 720p/1080p upscaler to 4K60.

This solves the conundrum some folks have with the Vizio P55 720p upscaling.

Some good news.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8326 posts
9119 upvotes
GT-EH
boblazaar71 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 9:06 am
I would factory reset and start over. Or you have a dud. My Shield is butter smooth and the complete opposite experience from yours. To the point that I ordered a second and moved the firestick to the guest room tv lol.
He's comparing it to the NEW firestick4K... you have the old one? (non-4K?)
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8326 posts
9119 upvotes
GT-EH
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 10:54 am
Do folks realize the Sheild has an internal 720p/1080p upscaler to 4K60.

This solves the conundrum some folks have with the Vizio P55 720p upscaling.

Some good news.
Don't tell me you are still on the fence! lol
Be like shia labeouf and just do it!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
3814 posts
3754 upvotes
GiOBoY wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:00 am
Don't tell me you are still on the fence! lol
Be like shia labeouf and just do it!
... I'm too transparent ...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8326 posts
9119 upvotes
GT-EH
mikka2017 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 6:12 am
Omg finally rooted. Pita. Thought I bricked it after booting up twrp img but u can’t use 4K tv afterwards. Had to hookup 1080p tv first. Side loading apps. Google plays store doesn’t have many apps. Not even chrome browser lol
Lucky patcher doesn’t really work on the shield I don’t think

i find it very frusstrating using a keyboard with shield, sometimes u hit enter for a key input and and it wont do anything, i have one usb port blocked off for usb debugging so its PITA to keep switching the keyboard dongle and a wire mouse, i gotta setup a bluetooth mouse and keyboard now
im using that 6$ white primecables keyboard, it has a 'lock' icon button at top right that powers off the shield(not bad) i think it just puts it into sleep mode with green light off)

CD5F975D-4173-468A-8A76-619F3B7F92C4.jpeg
Very cool and scary at the same time -
I hate rooting just to get the apps you want installed due to the risk of bricking the unit.
Apr 25, 2009
212 posts
14 upvotes
3rd rock from sun
ehhh...i went in the store and asked an associate if they had the item available. he directed me to the section but the only one available was the one with the remote, so i took the box and went to customer service to PM and showed them the amazon site. I guess the dude was new and PM’ed even though the item didn’t exactly match. they only matched to price, didn’t beat by 10% of the difference. but hey i didn’t really care. the one with remote retails for $279.99
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2642 posts
1125 upvotes
Squawk7600 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:15 am
ehhh...i went in the store and asked an associate if they had the item available. he directed me to the section but the only one available was the one with the remote, so i took the box and went to customer service to PM and showed them the amazon site. I guess the dude was new and PM’ed even though the item didn’t exactly match. they only matched to price, didn’t beat by 10% of the difference. but hey i didn’t really care. the one with remote retails for $279.99
You mean the controller, not the remote? They all come with the remote.
Dec 13, 2014
114 posts
31 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I have the 4k stick and the 2nd gen Firebox. Shield blows both out of the water.
GiOBoY wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 10:57 am
He's comparing it to the NEW firestick4K... you have the old one? (non-4K?)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8326 posts
9119 upvotes
GT-EH
boblazaar71 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:32 am
I have the 4k stick and the 2nd gen Firebox. Shield blows both out of the water.
Thanks - always nice to hear what others have to say coz there's so many different opinions! lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)