Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Nvidia Shield TV 2017 $243.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 9:19 pm
Apr 10, 2003
238 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
BobSagget wrote: The Uno Telly US server was down yesterday, so it would not have worked. Have you tried it again today?

There's only one built-in Amazon video app for the Shield. There is no Canadian version of it. It will just show you Canadian content instead of US because we're in Canada. If you were in the US, it would show you US content.

The Sony TV version (the one with the US flag on the banner) on the other hand, shows US content regardless of where you currently are. However it will only play that US content if it thinks you're in the US (so VPN/DNS needed).

I recorded a short little video showing how I have it working on my Shield. Is yours set up similarly?

To explain what I am doing in the video:

First, I have no Uno Telly DNS enabled.
So I open the Amazon Prime US app to show that any content I look at has the "not available in your current location".
Afterwards I close out of the app completely and then open Lilly DNS and enable the Uno Telly DNS servers
Then I open the Amazon Prime Us app again and show that the same exact content is now available to watch (due to DRM, you can't see video when I play it, but if you have volume up you can hear the movie begin before I clicked out of it).
After that I then open up the Nvidia Shield Prime Video app to show that the Canadian content still plays as well.

Also, if you're using Lilly DNS Changer and want to be able to access it faster by putting it on the homescreen (like how it is in the video), install this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf5wesx6x2izr ... 0.apk?dl=0
Don't uninstall the Lilly DNS Changer app, this is just a shortcut for Android TV that points to the app. So install this along side it. @Tha DraGun made it a while back.
Bob great write up ..can you point me to how to incorporate Smartdns with your type of a setup if possible ? Tia
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
FRANKIE wrote: Bob great write up ..can you point me to how to incorporate Smartdns with your type of a setup if possible ? Tia
As long as you have all the apps installed that are shown in the video (the Sony TV Amazon Prime app and Lilly DNS Changer), it's as simple as adding the SmartDNS servers to the Lilly DNS Changer app and then enabling it.

I assume SmartDNS is smartdnsproxy.com? I have never actually used them previously, but that's what came up when I googled.
I signed up for a trial and added the servers to my Lilly DNS app to test it with Amazon Prime. No issues. Plays all the US content.

If you're already signed up for SmartDNS, then here's the servers you will need to add to Lilly:
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
Also pretty cool if you're an NFL fan. Tonight at 7:35 ET you can live stream the Bears vs Packers game through the Amazon Prime app for free, apart of their "Thursday Night Football".
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1078 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Did anyone order a shield tv pro during this sale? It was $100 more than the regular shield tv. I got the 16gb model, but whish I ordered the Pro. So if anyone is regretting their 500gb order, I'd be open to buy it off you for what you paid, or exchange for mine and pay the difference.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
l2iceman wrote: Did anyone order a shield tv pro during this sale? It was $100 more than the regular shield tv. I got the 16gb model, but whish I ordered the Pro. So if anyone is regretting their 500gb order, I'd be open to buy it off you for what you paid, or exchange for mine and pay the difference.
If it's just about the extra space, you can easily expand that 16GB size by adding a USB 3.0 drive (flash drive, external hdd, or ssd).
Apr 10, 2003
238 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
BobSagget wrote: As long as you have all the apps installed that are shown in the video (the Sony TV Amazon Prime app and Lilly DNS Changer), it's as simple as adding the SmartDNS servers to the Lilly DNS Changer app and then enabling it.

I assume SmartDNS is smartdnsproxy.com? I have never actually used them previously, but that's what came up when I googled.
I signed up for a trial and added the servers to my Lilly DNS app to test it with Amazon Prime. No issues. Plays all the US content.

If you're already signed up for SmartDNS, then here's the servers you will need to add to Lilly:
thanks Bob - your contribution to RFD has been outstanding cheers!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
So got mine. Hooked up, updated. Now what? Looking for suggestions on tv/movie apps, and how to install. Preference for anything to try out free.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
I got mine(warehouse deal) this afternoon, but it doesn't come with hdmi cable, I thought that I need to contact amazon to send me one.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Aug 10, 2010
456 posts
250 upvotes
I don't think it's suppose to come with one.
You have to get your own.
rui wrote: I got mine(warehouse deal) this afternoon, but it doesn't come with hdmi cable, I thought that I need to contact amazon to send me one.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, my bad, thought it comes with a HDMI cable, maybe confused with other box's unboxing video.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Feb 28, 2011
443 posts
371 upvotes
There are a couple of warehouse ones available for 170$ right now.
Sep 10, 2015
501 posts
406 upvotes
Brampton, ON
pvp wrote: There are a couple of warehouse ones available for 170$ right now.
Got one yday for this price
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
I have brand new one, sealed, will let it go at the cost, send me a PM if you are interested, located in GTA, pick up only.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
3 more Pro models at $279.99 in the Warehouse. All "Very Good" condition. Likely brand new.
Sep 10, 2015
501 posts
406 upvotes
Brampton, ON
My warehouse order came through, question for you all...
To download apps such as bbc iplayer and other UK related apps, do I have to use DNS services?
On my amazon I have to use my dns service to enable my UK apps... same concept with the Shield? When setting up the connection add in my custom dns?
Or is it based on my google account?
thanks in advance
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
flexsingh wrote: My warehouse order came through, question for you all...
To download apps such as bbc iplayer and other UK related apps, do I have to use DNS services?
On my amazon I have to use my dns service to enable my UK apps... same concept with the Shield? When setting up the connection add in my custom dns?
Or is it based on my google account?
thanks in advance
You can just sideload the apps you want.

If you want BBC iPlayer, grab this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tucxvuae9rjw ... d.apk?dl=0

You will still need to use a VPN or DNS service to actually watch the content inside, but since you already have that, it won't be a problem for you.

You can either set your DNS up in the network settings (by setting a static IP and then manually typing in the DNS addresses), or you can use an app like Lilly DNS Changer that allows you to turn on/off your DNS settings with a click of a button.
Jun 11, 2004
208 posts
67 upvotes
St. Catharines
Just grabbed an Amazon Warehouse deal this morning (standard version) for $170 in 'Used - Very Good Condition'. There was at least one more but it was gone before I could post it here. I have a Mibox 3 that will get moved to the bedroom - interested to see how this compares.
May 8, 2007
46 posts
6 upvotes
Halifax
BobSagget wrote: Me either. I just use a smart DNS like Uno Telly. Super easy to set up and free to try for a month, thanks to their trial.
Have you had success with Uno telly giving you different Netflix regions? What other apps have you used in conjunction with Uno telly (other than Amazon Video)?

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
drbadskwerl wrote: Have you had success with Uno telly giving you different Netflix regions? What other apps have you used in conjunction with Uno telly (other than Amazon Video)?

Thanks!
Yes, some success, although not a lot. I haven't tried every region, but so far only Japan, Denmark and US Netflix work for me.

Also I should mention that Netflix seems to ignore Lilly DNS Changer. So if you try to use that app to change your DNS to access another region, Netflix still sees you are in Canada and gives you Canadian content.
You either need to set the DNS up at the router level or set up a static IP address on your Shield through the network settings.

As for other apps aside from Amazon Video, I also use Uno Telly to access FoxNow (US), The CW (US), The CW Seed (US), BBC iPlayer (UK), ITV addon in Kodi (UK).
I don't use them myself, but I think it would also work with VUDU and HULU
Jan 20, 2007
652 posts
653 upvotes
4 on Warehouse Deals right now. 3 "Very Good" and 1 "Like New". Just snagged for 1 myself!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)