Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NVIDIA Shield TV | Streaming Media Player with Remote $229

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2188 posts
4573 upvotes
Mississauga

[Amazon.ca] NVIDIA Shield TV | Streaming Media Player with Remote $229

Looks like both Vision Electronics and Amazon have the Nvidia shield on sale for 229.00 for those who missed the Labour day sale. Best to PM at BB and get an additional 2$ off. No expiry date mentioned on Amazon's website.
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 14th, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
Telus $30/25gb x 3 lines, 70GB bonus data each line, $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
300 LD Can/US minutes, VVM, 2000 LD minutes, CAN-Int'l Text ($0), 0$ AppleWatch, 5$ CAN-US only Tablet
Rogers $48.99 /24 mths, Ignite 1.5G internet
CIBC, Tang and EQ
402 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5769 posts
6710 upvotes
Alberta
Best. Streaming. Device. Period.
Nov 13, 2011
738 posts
311 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can you use it to stream Chinese dramas off of the shady apps?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5510 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: Best. Streaming. Device. Period.
Absolutely. Best purchase in a long time.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
Lush78 wrote: Best. Streaming. Device. Period.
Best android one for sure, apple tv 4K is quite a beast as well. As someone in the apple ecosystem I cant decide which I like better, which I think is saying something. TVOS simply doesnt have an app that supports iptv as well as options on the shield and streaming pc games is a nice feature for the shield. But the apple tv is smoother overall, infuse is the best video player ive used period, 4k content on apples store has the best prices out there, and the remote app actually lets you copy and paste on ios.
Last edited by KevinC268 on Sep 14th, 2018 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 13, 2008
486 posts
228 upvotes
Is this a ideal device for a smart home? I'm looking for a AIO package to stream from my desktop, smart home, and streaming device for apps like Kodi. This looks like it fits the bill but i'm most concerned about smart home compatibility. Is it any good?
I'm just here for the deals....
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
blisterd_nuts wrote: Is this a ideal device for a smart home? I'm looking for a AIO package to stream from my desktop, smart home, and streaming device for apps like Kodi. This looks like it fits the bill but i'm most concerned about smart home compatibility. Is it any good?
Its got google assistant, I think its just as good as any other device with google assistant.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21465 posts
4880 upvotes
YUL
Does this come pre-loaded with apps to watch live TV channels? I had an ANdroid box years ago, and the interface, navigation was abysmal. I want something super easy like an AppleTV (which I already have) but to view live TV channels (since I don't have cable)
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
I might have to bite the bullet this time around, couple of questions:

1) I have a USB Xbox controller that I use for the PC, will it work with the Shield?

2) Reading that the remote that comes with the unit isn't very good, any recommendations of a more useful remote? (preferably less than $30).

Thanks.
Last edited by HN12345 on Sep 14th, 2018 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
najibs wrote: Does this come pre-loaded with apps to watch live TV channels? I had an ANdroid box years ago, and the interface, navigation was abysmal. I want something super easy like an AppleTV (which I already have) but to view live TV channels (since I don't have cable)
Its not pre loaded, for tv channels I recommend getting epicstream and following their instructions for setting up using m3u files. Epicstream actually has an apk you can side load. This solution isnt free, but its worth the 17ish a month imo.
Last edited by KevinC268 on Sep 14th, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
HN12345 wrote: I might have to bite the bullet this time around, couple of questions:

1) I have a USB Xbox controller that I use for the PC, will it work with the Shield?

2) Reading that the remote that comes with the unit isn't very good, any recommendations of a more useful remote? (preferably less than $30).

Thanks.
Is it a 360 controller? I believe 360 controllers work out of the box. The remote isnt the best, but its good enough that I dont feel you need to buy a replacement.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote: Is it a 360 controller? I believe 360 controllers work out of the box. The remote isnt the best, but its good enough that I dont feel you need to buy a replacement.
Yes, it is a 360 controller, should have mentioned that. Awesome! Thanks for both suggestions.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1310 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have the Shield with remote and controller and it is the best streaming/Android TV device on the market. It does gaming, Netflix, Youtube and then some. It does gaming. It has a Plex server. It has 2 USB 3.0 ports, ethernet port for fast data. You can install any app with freedom. I have installed an app that does Apple Airplay, think about that. I can block ads using Blokada. I can install IPTV app. I can play PC quality games if I want. I mean, this device has the ultimate freedom.
Only problem is the remote is slow to respond sometime and the volume touch bar is a pain to use, though the recent update improved it. And I tell you, it gets a LOT of updates. Nvidia actually takes care of it.
-
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
KevinC268 wrote: Best android one for sure, apple tv 4K is quite a beast as well. As someone in the apple ecosystem I cant decide which I like better, which I think is saying something. TVOS simply doesnt have an app that supports iptv as well as options on the shield and streaming pc games is a nice feature for the shield. But the apple tv is smoother overall, infuse is the best video player ive used period, 4k content on apples store has the best prices out there, and the remote app actually lets you copy and paste on ios.
I too have an Apple household. I have the 4k ATV only because I share a DTV Now account and I love the "Whats next" feature and how it handles the shows. But I will say my main go to is the Shield. I use for retro gaming, IPTV and Kodi.

To me the Shield is well worth the price. I'm done spending money on the cheap Chinese Android boxes that end up slowing down and crashing with no updates and does not pull internet as it promises.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
HN12345 wrote: Yes, it is a 360 controller, should have mentioned that. Awesome! Thanks for both suggestions.
looks like you just plug it in
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
SureshA720227 wrote: I have the Shield with remote and controller and it is the best streaming/Android TV device on the market. It does gaming, Netflix, Youtube and then some. It does gaming. It has a Plex server. It has 2 USB 3.0 ports, ethernet port for fast data. You can install any app with freedom. I have installed an app that does Apple Airplay, think about that. I can block ads using Blokada. I can install IPTV app. I can play PC quality games if I want. I mean, this device has the ultimate freedom.
Only problem is the remote is slow to respond sometime and the volume touch bar is a pain to use, though the recent update improved it. And I tell you, it gets a LOT of updates. Nvidia actually takes care of it.
What app does airplay? I wont switch to spotify from apple music for multiple reasons.
Banned
Sep 27, 2010
109 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
blisterd_nuts wrote: Is this a ideal device for a smart home? I'm looking for a AIO package to stream from my desktop, smart home, and streaming device for apps like Kodi. This looks like it fits the bill but i'm most concerned about smart home compatibility. Is it any good?
I echo Lush 78, this is overkill for just streaming. I'm also looking to add another client for streaming. A fire TV v2 will do the same job for less than half the price. But I want the best :rolleyes:
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
Playdo wrote: I echo Lush 78, this is overkill for just streaming. I'm also looking to add another client for streaming. A fire TV v2 will do the same job for less than half the price. But I want the best :rolleyes:
Once you get into 4k video its a big difference, I also find slower devices annoying to use compared to the shield. I figure you may as well pay a bit more and get something that will last.
Dec 25, 2006
781 posts
790 upvotes
Ottawa
KevinC268 wrote: Its not pre loaded, for tv channels I recommend getting epicstream and following their instructions for setting up using m3u files. Epicstream actually has an apk you can side load. This solution isnt free, but its worth the 17ish a month imo.
EpicStream is ok. I've tried many IPTV providers, including EpicStream. I'm currently using Kodi Solutions, which is as good as EpicStreams, but only $5 a month.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)