• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2019 9:43 am
Apr 27, 2006
658 posts
16 upvotes
Thornhill
BritsinCanada wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:12 pm
Well, the Onkyo is half the price now...
True :)

Just having a hard time justifying a new receiver at the moment. I bought the Sony receiver at $499, but ended up returning it. Not sure if buyers or returners remorse at the moment :P

Unless someone can convince me, I'm just not seeing a need to upgrade to a 4K switching receiver with Dolby Atmos just yet, until content that contains both is more widely available. I'm able to get by at the moment by connecting any 4K-capable devices I have now directly to my 4K TV, and then sending audio from the TV to my current (10-year old) receiver via optical cable, to get DD 5.1. Don't get me wrong I love new toys as much as the next person, but spending $ on equipment that'll do the same thing I can currently do is just hard for me to justify!

That said, I'll probably take the plunge on a new receiver if and when the vast majority of the content on Rogers/Bell/Netflix is available in 4K and Dolby Atmos - I really can't see myself buying 4K discs now, either.
Apr 27, 2006
658 posts
16 upvotes
Thornhill
fruzmatik wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 5:58 pm
The Onkyo is 5+ pounds heavier if that means anything?
To me, no - my media stand can handle almost anything :) but thx for that.
Sep 3, 2014
652 posts
638 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
sane wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:10 pm
To me, no - my media stand can handle almost anything :) but thx for that.
That was more to do with 'there's nothing inside the Sony one'...
Oct 5, 2005
585 posts
172 upvotes
For those with 2 subwoofers, my understanding is that the this Onkyo model, while having two sub pre-outs, treats them as one. Meaning, the same signal goes to both outputs. This means you cannot calibrate the 2 subs separately. This is a significant deficiency, as the main purpose of 2 subs is to achieve optimal room response through distinct calibration. Some other receiver brands offer that capability. If I am mistaken, someone please correct me. This is the only reason I'm not jumping on this deal.
yo!
Aug 22, 2005
900 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
gogozy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:53 pm
very tempt... anyone know or have experience about warranty? we two old Onkyo receiver and the sound is superb, but I don't know their customer service ..
I was able to try their customer service and I was very happy. My receiver had a known issue and they shipped me an empty box with styrofoam inserts, scotch tape, bubble wrap and a FedEx shipping label. I had it back within 4 days and it works well.
Sep 3, 2014
652 posts
638 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
moneybags wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:28 pm
For those with 2 subwoofers, my understanding is that the this Onkyo model, while having two sub pre-outs, treats them as one. Meaning, the same signal goes to both outputs. This means you cannot calibrate the 2 subs separately. This is a significant deficiency, as the main purpose of 2 subs is to achieve optimal room response through distinct calibration. Some other receiver brands offer that capability. If I am mistaken, someone please correct me. This is the only reason I'm not jumping on this deal.
Correct, but subs generally have their own controls ( that do the same as calibration would) so I’m not sure it really makes much difference.

I don’t think you’ll find any that offer that option under $1000 (probably quite a lot more) even at sale prices...
Jul 11, 2007
427 posts
84 upvotes
GTA
sane wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:17 pm
How does this Onkyo receiver compare to the Sony one that Best Buy had for $499 over BF and Christmas?

Sony STRDN1080 7.2 Channel Atmos Network AV Receiver
that Sony receiver earned many good review; more than Onkyo 777 for sure.
but my personal ears preferences is on Onkyo. I like the sound they produced. I hope this 777 sounds as good as my other 2 old old Onkyo.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2004 posts
1556 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The reason I buy this receiver is have cleaner installation.
My receiver was 16 years old. No HDMI at all.
I have 3 x HD device, no 4K. Plus Chromecast Audio.
So I have to run HDMI cable from device to TV, Plus COAX or Optical cable to receiver.
So many cables, and so many source to change.

Moving to new receiver just make it much cleaner, don't even need the Chromecast Audio as well.
- 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
- Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Oct 6, 2018
150 posts
104 upvotes
sane wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:17 pm
How does this Onkyo receiver compare to the Sony one that Best Buy had for $499 over BF and Christmas?

Sony STRDN1080 7.2 Channel Atmos Network AV Receiver
I don't have the Onkyo, but the Sony one has been great. It has a ton of features that I don't even need. Of course the Sony went back up to full price so the Onkyo wins now for the price point.
Aug 24, 2009
486 posts
123 upvotes
I got a open box 1080 from BB for $449 and it just showed up yesterday. It’s replacing a five year old Yamaha that was top of the RX-V line that didn’t have HDCP 2 but otherwise was great. Hooked it all up and I’m mostly happy with it. Atmos and dts-x are both a step up. Not sure if the power is as clean and powerful as the yamaha but for the size of room I have it’ll be just great. I’ve had yamahas for the last 12 years so I’m having a hard time weaning myself off of them. :)

I did have a problem with the auto calibration failing at my sub. Just ended up doing it manually for now, but that might have been why the last customer returned the receiver.

Never had Onkyo so cant comment, but I’ve seen enough HDMI board issues to personally give them a miss.
Dec 11, 2009
217 posts
52 upvotes
Brampton
Great price
I got the 737 for $500, 3 years ago.
Great AVR. Really enjoying Atmos.
I want to move up to 5.2.4,otherwise I'd jump on this deal.
Anyone wanting 5.2.2 should jump on this.
Denon is still more popular and higher quality, but this onkyo price is awesome.
Oct 5, 2005
585 posts
172 upvotes
BritsinCanada wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:39 pm
Correct, but subs generally have their own controls ( that do the same as calibration would) so I’m not sure it really makes much difference.

I don’t think you’ll find any that offer that option under $1000 (probably quite a lot more) even at sale prices...
That's correct as well, but auto-calibration functions like Audessey and MCACC won't be able to tune those manual phase knobs. You're back to the bass crawl and tuning by ear. Also those who have massive subs powered by external amps need the calibration in the receiver or pre-amp.
yo!
Aug 27, 2014
348 posts
182 upvotes
Would this receiver work well with Polk rtia9 tower speakers?

Or should I be getting a better receiver for such expensive speakers?
This is my first foray into the world of speakers that aren't just simple computer speakers with a regular jack.

Edit: it was too good to be true, the sale seems off already :(
Reviews seem very soso for this model so maybe it is for the best.