Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] ORICO ORICO Multi-USB Wall Charger and Desktop Charging Station $10.99 with $2 coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2018 9:52 am
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
661 posts
489 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] ORICO ORICO Multi-USB Wall Charger and Desktop Charging Station $10.99 with $2 coupon

I know there are cheap ones on ebay but for 10 bucks and prime its a good deal
31 replies
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
661 posts
489 upvotes
Features
FAST CHARGING - With its 2.4 Amp current for each port, Orico 4-Port USB charger give you plenty of port to charge USB powered device
HOME AND TRAVELER CHARGER - Ideal for people who need to charge multiple devices and don't need the adapter for each device
POWERFUL CHARGER - It has enough power to charge all USB powered device simultaneously
SAFETY AND CERTIFICATION - Certified by CE and FCC. ORICO's multi protection safety system ensures complete protection from electrical short circuit, over heat, electric surge, over charging, and over current
CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY - Automatically detect any USB powered device, like iPad, iPhone, Android mobile device, or tablet, and deliver the ideal current and power to connected device.
Aug 3, 2010
292 posts
43 upvotes
After reading the description and even checking the official product page on the company site i am still confused as to how this is any better than the $1.89USD charger i bought from China.
Apr 14, 2017
306 posts
243 upvotes
brand404 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 8:53 am
After reading the description and even checking the official product page on the company site i am still confused as to how this is any better than the $1.89USD charger i bought from China.
It's less likely to set your house on fire.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
661 posts
489 upvotes
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CJ9RSVS/ref ... uBbQDE6BC0 works for me. Difference with this and Chinese sub $2 stuff is it passes all Canadian regulation, fireproof up to 750 degrees, all 4 ports are auto sensing and supply 2.4amps at 5v per port. Most sub $5 crap are hubs that try to pass themselves off as chargers. I had 4 iPad charging and it's gets up extremely little compared to my knockoff one. And I prefer my house doesn't burn down
Mar 24, 2006
70 posts
13 upvotes
MakeItCheap wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 8:26 am
Features
FAST CHARGING - With its 2.4 Amp current for each port, Orico 4-Port USB charger give you plenty of port to charge USB powered device
HOME AND TRAVELER CHARGER - Ideal for people who need to charge multiple devices and don't need the adapter for each device
POWERFUL CHARGER - It has enough power to charge all USB powered device simultaneously
SAFETY AND CERTIFICATION - Certified by CE and FCC. ORICO's multi protection safety system ensures complete protection from electrical short circuit, over heat, electric surge, over charging, and over current
CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY - Automatically detect any USB powered device, like iPad, iPhone, Android mobile device, or tablet, and deliver the ideal current and power to connected device.
ORICO Multi-USB Wall Charger and Desktop Charging Station 20W for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Nokia and Tablets - White
by Orico
Be the first to review this item
Sale: CDN$ 12.99 | FREE One-Day | FREE One-Day

This 4 port Charger is described as only 20W which means it can only charge at 1A simultaneously at the 4 ports.
To charge at 2.4A (at 5 Volts) at all 4 ports simultaneously, I think you need a 48W or higher charger.
Probably not all ports at 2.4A simultaneously.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4136 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto
MakeItCheap wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 9:52 am
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CJ9RSVS/ref ... uBbQDE6BC0 works for me. Difference with this and Chinese sub $2 stuff is it passes all Canadian regulation, fireproof up to 750 degrees, all 4 ports are auto sensing and supply 2.4amps at 5v per port. Most sub $5 crap are hubs that try to pass themselves off as chargers. I had 4 iPad charging and it's gets up extremely little compared to my knockoff one. And I prefer my house doesn't burn down
Where does it say it passes all Canadian regulations? All it advertises is that is has the FCC and CE marks. FCC isn't even a safety mark, it certifies that electromagnetic emissions are within FCC limits to avoid interference with communications equipment. CE is the most useless certification as it's self certified, everything on eBay can have it stamped on there. Honestly the fact that they're advertising both of these as making it "safe" is a huge red flag to me. If it's saying it's safe in a Canadian context, I'd expect it to have one of these guys on it:

https://www.csagroup.org/services-indus ... csa-marks/

That doesn't mean it's unsafe, the vast majority of even the cheapest stuff from eBay isn't going to burn your house down. This is just no different from that, in my opinion, it just looks nicer and costs more.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16779 posts
5295 upvotes
Toronto
I am all for buying inexpensive stuff like screen protectors, cases and things on eBay. Chargers is off my list. I bought countless $1-2 chargers back in the day. Most are basically like charging on a USB port. I have had a few that would make great hand warmers on a cold day. Those go to recycle right away. This seems like a pretty descent buy if it can deliver the name plate amps. With the exception of quick charge rated chargers, the best charger I have ever bought is the old blackberry charger. It delivers name plate output. The fastest charger I have ever used is the Oppo charger with their proprietary vooc quick charging system. Output is 4.5 amps at 5v. Arguably the output is higher than the 18 watt rating for quick charge 3 which has the same limit as quick charge 2.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8343 posts
1492 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Manatus wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 11:19 am
Where does it say it passes all Canadian regulations? All it advertises is that is has the FCC and CE marks. FCC isn't even a safety mark, it certifies that electromagnetic emissions are within FCC limits to avoid interference with communications equipment. CE is the most useless certification as it's self certified, everything on eBay can have it stamped on there. Honestly the fact that they're advertising both of these as making it "safe" is a huge red flag to me. If it's saying it's safe in a Canadian context, I'd expect it to have one of these guys on it:

https://www.csagroup.org/services-indus ... csa-marks/

That doesn't mean it's unsafe, the vast majority of even the cheapest stuff from eBay isn't going to burn your house down. This is just no different from that, in my opinion, it just looks nicer and costs more.
Yep, no valid 3rd party safety certification, no guarantee that its any better than noname chinese stuffs, I would avoid.

Needs ETL at minimum, if the manufacturer can't be bothered to pay for this certification, it says alot about their trust with their design or cost cutting measures.

Any reputable brands that wants to export their products to be sold in NA in a BM store will get them certified, this is not one of them, I guess they expect to unload them on the domestic market and on Amazon where they don't care about that.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2644 posts
1463 upvotes
Vancouver
So i checked out orico store front at amazon.ca due to the product being new (no reviews). Nothing at all i. the store front suggest to me that orico is a premium brand (like anker, rav4power, etc) so its hard to justify valuing their brand over other no name chinese brand. Could they work fine? sure but no history to suggest that yet. Better off spending a bit more to get anker or some other brands who have more a history (even aukey).

Edit only popular item they seem to have are 2.5” ssd enclosures (not really related to power).
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1769 posts
97 upvotes
Anybody own Aukey or Anker chargers? Are they csa, etl, UL certified?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2644 posts
1463 upvotes
Vancouver
excel wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 2:27 pm
Anybody own Aukey or Anker chargers? Are they csa, etl, UL certified?
No but the brand (anker) has history when it comes to cable and usb power (well reviewed everywhere). Aukey quality seems to be a bit lower lately (more issues posted in various forums) but they will stand by their warranty and at least the worst case for them is the product (generally cable) stop working (no fire).

Edit remember CSA certification is expensive and a long process. Considering how fast usb power technology is changing (from qc to qc 2, 3, pd, etc) i doubt anything actually gets certificated. Plus it cost $1000s for a product that might sell for like $20... just doesnt make a lot of business sense unless you think a product can sell high volume (given the competition not likely).
Last edited by Paigne on Jul 22nd, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
6985 posts
2316 upvotes
GVR
Paigne wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 2:32 pm
No but the brand (anker) has history when it comes to cable and usb power (well reviewed everywhere). Aukey quality seems to be a bit lower lately (more issues posted in various forums) but they will stand by their warranty and at least the worst case for them is the product (generally cable) stop working (no fire).
I'm not sure if that's because they've sold more products recently, or not. i.e. It might just be proportion to their sales volume. Hard to tell without knowing the full picture of their sales figures.

i.e. Quality has not gone down, maybe?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2644 posts
1463 upvotes
Vancouver
chatbox wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 2:38 pm
I'm not sure if that's because they've sold more products recently, or not. i.e. It might just be proportion to their sales volume. Hard to tell without knowing the full picture of their sales figures.
Hard to really tell but i can say i had to rma 12/10 micro usb cables from them and the shocker is they are the only micro usb cables ive had issue with (and i do have so no name brands from amazon, ncix, etc too). And that isnt a typo, i bought 2 packs and actually had to rma one of the replacement packs recently lol (they sent me an extra for the hassle and to remove a 1 star review so they do stand by their warranty).

Basically i wouldnt put a premium on their cables anymore over no name/unknow chinese brands (lasted longer since i bought some of those to charge batteries/ds controllers/power fans). The 2 Aukey usb chargers i got havent had any issue for roughly 3 years so really their issue seems to be cable (at least for me) while other poster seem to suggest problem with lights and such.