Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Patriot 512GB USB Drives - $102.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Jan 13, 2009
397 posts
486 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Patriot 512GB USB Drives - $102.99

34 replies
Feb 9, 2004
822 posts
322 upvotes
Markham
I wonder what is the use case for such a high capacity USB drive. At this price point, you might as well get a cheapo SSD drive and put it in an external USB case.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37126 upvotes
I'd rather get an external SSD, or create one, at this price.

@Chipbug is right.

God bless the effort though, OP.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Aug 8, 2006
108 posts
65 upvotes
KW Area
Chipbug wrote: I wonder what is the use case for such a high capacity USB drive. At this price point, you might as well get a cheapo SSD drive and put it in an external USB case.
No cable to carry around, which might get damaged in a bag, I guess??

That being said I agree with you @Chipbug - I have a Samsung T5 SSD and it's great.
Mar 17, 2015
965 posts
1981 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Chipbug wrote: I wonder what is the use case for such a high capacity USB drive. At this price point, you might as well get a cheapo SSD drive and put it in an external USB case.
To load up with music for plugging into vehicles radio? Otherwise I agree with you.
Aug 4, 2008
59 posts
97 upvotes
BC
SSD + Enclosure (or Sata to USB adapter/cable) will be cheaper and better than USB thumb drive and offers more use-cases for later. That being said, if physical space is a concern (such as plugging into a car head unit) or compatibility concerns, the USB thumb drive would be better (some devices don't play nice with a adapters/converters like sata to usb).

For me personally, I never use my USB drives for long term storage, so having a 512gb thumb drive is a bit pointless. Primarily, I use usb drives to move data around, or to install/test/play with different linux distros (or installing Windows 10), and essentially a 32gb drive will suffice for me. For my longer term storage (such as media or VMs), I actually just purchased an Adata 1tb SSD for around $130 and will be using that with a sata to usb cable (I was using an older portable 500gb HDD for this earlier).
Dec 18, 2017
132 posts
81 upvotes
Fair question.
-Car decks that accept USB are one great use as the more space you have, the more music you can dump on it
-TV's that support USB's can be loaded up with a bunch of films/TV shows or photos.(you can use an external hdd but when you wallmount the tv, it can be a pain trying to tape the hdd to the TV to stop it from falling)
-For little projects like a Rasberry Pi, a USB stick is usually a nice fit

Overall, it's definitely not something that a ton of people will find useful but for the ones that do, it's a good price for that size.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
Thanks OP! Wonder if this is the cheapest around? Also a good PM opportunity with retailers? Any coupons to stack?
Blanka
Jun 29, 2011
299 posts
95 upvotes
BBQ Haven
pk1234 wrote: -Car decks that accept USB are one great use as the more space you have, the more music you can dump on it
I wonder if thumb drives of that size are formatted NTFS and if so your car deck probably does not support that :-)
Feb 8, 2017
539 posts
416 upvotes
Anyone know of a good USB key with similar read/writes rates but with 32GB of storage. I don't need 512 GB but I need some faster speeds.
Dec 18, 2017
132 posts
81 upvotes
Zork1984 wrote: I wonder if thumb drives of that size are formatted NTFS and if so your car deck probably does not support that :-)
You can still use FAT. It should support 512Gb with no issues. It's you can't do files over 4GB, which is not an issue with music
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
What is the reliability ratings for Patriot USB drives? Also are the read/write specs on these two drives good?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1663 posts
4016 upvotes
What is the difference between both model? I can't see.
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 22, 2017
14 posts
13 upvotes
Not sure why you'd name a usb stick "Rage". Maybe because thats what people do when they try to stick in a USB stick, flip it over, then realize they were right the first time.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
sierravista wrote: Anyone know of a good USB key with similar read/writes rates but with 32GB of storage. I don't need 512 GB but I need some faster speeds.
128 for 30 looks good if it can do 400/300
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
Don’t forget to use your favourite encrypting software.

;)
Blanka
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37126 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Don’t forget to use your favourite encrypting software.

;)
TrueCrypt is dead, bud. Spill the beans.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37126 upvotes
This is getting weird, I have personal messaging if you don't want to post it.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1325 posts
1148 upvotes
Нейтрально
Zork1984 wrote:
I wonder if thumb drives of that size are formatted NTFS and if so your car deck probably does not support that :-)
The default FS for large USB thumb drives is exFAT not NTFS.
pk1234 wrote: You can still use FAT. It should support 512Gb with no issues. It's you can't do files over 4GB, which is not an issue with music
It can be an issue if the source files are .FLAC as FLAC files are usually quite large. No problem with MP3 format.