Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Patriot 512GB USB Drives - $102.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2013
3914 posts
2529 upvotes
GrandTheftAutopolis
redflagdealsguy wrote: TrueCrypt is dead, bud. Spill the beans.
But VeraCrypt lives on! Slow as hell if you get the password wrong though...
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: TrueCrypt is dead, bud. Spill the beans.
I was suggesting VeraCrypt haha. Of course there’s always Bitlocker or the one in a Mac OS environment lol.
Hobotrader wrote: But VeraCrypt lives on! Slow as hell if you get the password wrong though...
Amen lol.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
Hobotrader wrote: But VeraCrypt lives on! Slow as hell if you get the password wrong though...
I'm a fan.

But on @Poutinesauce's suggestion, I'll try GuileCrypt.

Case closed.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
Wait, so USB drives are inferior to SSD's?

Someone told me that USB's are pretty much SSD's because there's no moving parts in a USB... Clearly, that person is wrong?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1992 posts
461 upvotes
Chipbug wrote: I wonder what is the use case for such a high capacity USB drive. At this price point, you might as well get a cheapo SSD drive and put it in an external USB case.
I believe a full-blown SATA SSD uses considerably more power than a USB stick one. That would prevent it from being used in some scenarios. I do admit I haven't seen recent power numbers.
Nov 13, 2011
739 posts
323 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone have a recommended USB enclosure that supports high speeds?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2013
3914 posts
2529 upvotes
GrandTheftAutopolis
djemzine wrote: Did anyone order this?
lol *crickets*

I think at that magnitude of storage space people would just opt for drives - at least they'll have DRAM (cost per gb will be better as well). You can fit entire operating systems and personal data on a 15 dollar 32 gb stick. I mean this is a great innovation but it would have very little consumer market use cases. I've worked with massive multi-million record government datasets and they only took a few gigabytes...I can see this being used for photo and video backups though...
Dec 18, 2017
132 posts
81 upvotes
thexdriver wrote: The default FS for large USB thumb drives is exFAT not NTFS.

It can be an issue if the source files are .FLAC as FLAC files are usually quite large. No problem with MP3 format.
I know FLAC files can be large but I've never encountered music files being over 4GB+ each. Even for people buying this with FLAC files in mind(which I find is non-worthwhile for car audio systems) this is going to be perfect for 99.99% of those users.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1499 posts
2391 upvotes
Hammonds
jellytime wrote: Wait, so USB drives are inferior to SSD's?

Someone told me that USB's are pretty much SSD's because there's no moving parts in a USB... Clearly, that person is wrong?
Yes, HDDs have wear leveling (trim, other management chipsets to handle data and extend life) most usb only have a controller and storage.
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
jellytime wrote: Wait, so USB drives are inferior to SSD's?

This "Patriot 64GB Supersonic Rage" has not gotten the write speeds that are advertised. I have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port, i ran a test in Linux with a 100MB sample size and 10 samples. Read speed was a nice 219.7MB/s but write speed was a disappointing 25.5MB/s which is on par with other thumbdrive currently available.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
sierravista wrote: Anyone know of a good USB key with similar read/writes rates but with 32GB of storage. I don't need 512 GB but I need some faster speeds.
I have these USB drives and they are pretty fast. They seem to be able to maintain their speeds and they have a rubber housing which seems to protect them.

32 GB & 64 GB
https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Supersoni ... ics&sr=1-6

128 GB
https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-128GB-Sup ... cs&sr=1-11

I have this one as well. There's no cap on the drive though.
https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Supersoni ... ics&sr=1-7
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Feb 6, 2010
568 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
I was checking things out at Costco yesterday and I saw an external 512gb SSD for about I think 129 -140. I think it was a WD passport SSD. It had the same type of enclosure as their Passport usb HDs. The SSD was about half the size of the regular Passport but a bit thicker.

I thought that was something new. I will have to check it again to see if my eyes were deceiving me. Winking Face
Jan 13, 2009
397 posts
486 upvotes
Globedeal wrote: I was checking things out at Costco yesterday and I saw an external 512gb SSD for about I think 129 -140. I think it was a WD passport SSD. It had the same type of enclosure as their Passport usb HDs. The SSD was about half the size of the regular Passport but a bit thicker.

I thought that was something new. I will have to check it again to see if my eyes were deceiving me. Winking Face
Hmmmm ...isn't a 1TB SSD about that price?
Feb 6, 2010
568 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
Alfred25 wrote: Hmmmm ...isn't a 1TB SSD about that price?
I have no clue. I thought it was interesting there was was an external SSD.