Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Pentax K-50 w/18-55mm WR for $439.63

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2014 12:25 pm
Jul 29, 2009
572 posts
419 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Pentax K-50 w/18-55mm WR for $439.63

Pentax mid-range camera for ~$440 which is a great deal. Water, dust, cold resistant - awesome travel camera. Own a K-30 and had to have warranty work done on it but still like the brand even with the slight agro (floppy mirror problem). Felt compelled to post because there needs to be more Pentaxians around to keep the brand viable but have stopped posting on this site otherwise.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00DBPKAAG
108 replies
Jul 29, 2009
572 posts
419 upvotes
jake123 wrote: Great entry camera. Add a 17-50mm tamron http://www.photoprice.ca/product/01715/ ... price.html and you have a combo with great image quality and low light image quality.
A classic combo (or should be), I have a good copy of this lens and couldn't be happier with it - awesome for churches, museums, etc. and the lens is cheap(er) because the camera stabilizes internally giving an extra 2 - 3 stops to any lens. No in-lens stabilizer means a cheaper lens and access to some old beauts. The Tamron's a $1500 lens for ~$400 + a cheaper build quality. It's not weather sealed though, so you'll still want to get the kit. Another great lens is the old Pentax smc FA 50mm 1.4 which is still available for about $400.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
While these are no doubt excellent lenses, are you guys seriously recommending that buyers of a near-$400 camera add $400 lenses to it, one similar in range to the included kit lens? Esp when there may not be many options for future use after this camera. It would be better to buy the Nikon or Canon version and compatible body instead.

That said, my first DSLR was a Pentax (K-m), and has logical, easy to use controls. I've put it back in storage in its box for now while I use my newer cameras, but I can be confident it will still be usable when I return to it - because it uses 4 AA batteries. Beats having to replace expensive proprietary batteries every few years.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7640 posts
448 upvotes
BC
So temping. I have the k100d but have since moved to m43. Still have da21 and da40
insert witty comment
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
orangeteam wrote: I often bring my kx instead of my heavy Nikon when travelling. Takes AA batteries as well which can be bonus when travelling.
This camera is light as well with great sensor.
If buying get this as well
http://www.amazon.ca/Pentax-AA-Battery- ... _hu_m_2_dp
The use of AA batteries is a great feature when travelling. I'm not sure that I'd take a an SLR abroad with me again though. I ended up leaving my Nikon in the hotel safe box most of the time when I took it, and it suffered a ding to the pentaprism cover somewhere along the way. (Didn't affect performance, but still...). Today I would take my NEX-3N w/spare battery and/or my Coolpix P520 (amazing all-in-one w/GPS).
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
2069 posts
1026 upvotes
Nepean
Great deal. Ordered! I've been watching the price of this since it first came out, and this is by far, the lowest price, I've seen ever! This will be a supplemental camera to my 5 year old K-x. I end up changing lenses far too often on that one, and have been looking for a 2nd body. Weather resistance is the big bonus, as most of my shots are outdoors in questionable conditions. Thank-You for your post. Pentaxians unite!
Wrocky
Jul 29, 2009
572 posts
419 upvotes
[quote="Tornado F2" post_id="20238655" time="1413908335" user_id="159657"]While these are no doubt excellent lenses, are you guys seriously recommending that buyers of a near-$400 camera add $400 lenses to it, one similar in range to the included kit lens? Esp when there may not be many options for future use after this camera. It would be better to buy the Nikon or Canon version and compatible body instead.[QUOTE]

Serious as cancer.
Oct 1, 2008
175 posts
89 upvotes
Vancouver
Tornado F2 wrote: While these are no doubt excellent lenses, are you guys seriously recommending that buyers of a near-$400 camera add $400 lenses to it, one similar in range to the included kit lens? Esp when there may not be many options for future use after this camera. It would be better to buy the Nikon or Canon version and compatible body instead.

That said, my first DSLR was a Pentax (K-m), and has logical, easy to use controls. I've put it back in storage in its box for now while I use my newer cameras, but I can be confident it will still be usable when I return to it - because it uses 4 AA batteries. Beats having to replace expensive proprietary batteries every few years.
I think buying Canon and Nikon has only two advantages - you can borrow your friends' lenses and the second hand local market is much bigger. With Canon/Nikon when you "upgrade" to a full frame it's basically buying a new system anyway.

After a long time since having my first dslr and changing systems I find that all I need for apsc is a 17-50mm 2.8 (I would love to have in body IS...), a 55-250mm, and an ultrawide. Of course, with new dslr buyers they need some time to learn their needs. Other than sports and action, Pentax should be able to handle all types of photography for an apsc system.

Also, I would recommend buying second hand lenses if you know how. If you buy a second hand lens and decide to sell it later you probably can sell it for close to the price you bought it for.

As for buying a $400 lens with similar range to replace the kit lens, yes I totally recommend it because you don't have as much aperture control/low light performance with the kit lens and you definitely learn faster when you can explore more options (aperture, low light).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7749 posts
1635 upvotes
^Also, you can not get a new weather resistant DSLR at this price from Canon/Nikon.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
2069 posts
1026 upvotes
Nepean
hdom wrote: ^Also, you can not get a new weather resistant DSLR at this price from Canon/Nikon.
Care to elaborate, as I've never come across Canon at least talking about a weather resistant DSLR at that price?

EDIT: I misread the post above. I thought it said "now" instead of "not" .. Time to get a new pair of glasses.
Wrocky
Oct 23, 2007
863 posts
166 upvotes
Wrocky wrote: Care to elaborate, as I've never come across Canon at least talking about a weather resistant DSLR at that price?
He's saying the same thing you are. Only Pentax offers weather resistance for an SLR at this price. Has been true since the K200D days.
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
Thanks OP! My K-x still works fine, but this deal is damn tempting...

Pentax's ability to work on AA Li or Ni-MH makes it an excellent travel camera.
Sep 3, 2005
59 posts
28 upvotes
Wrocky wrote: Care to elaborate, as I've never come across Canon at least talking about a weather resistant DSLR at that price?
I believe the lowest Canon model with weather resistant seals is the 70D at about $1049.00 (body only) and the cheapest weather resistant lens is the EF 17-40mm f/4 L at about $799.00.

The Pentax K50 is a bargain and the image quality and features are unheard of at this price.

I own both Canon and Pentax systems. There is nothing made by any other manufacturer that can compare at this price point to the Pentax.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Subarunyon wrote: Only Pentax offers weather resistance for an SLR at this price.
And:

- Two control dials
- 100% coverage large pentaprism viewfinder
- IBIS
- 1/6000th shutter speed
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
2069 posts
1026 upvotes
Nepean
Subarunyon wrote: He's saying the same thing you are. Only Pentax offers weather resistance for an SLR at this price. Has been true since the K200D days.
OOPS .. post fixed. The money I saved on this deal will go to a new set of glasses.
Wrocky
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
jake123 wrote: I think buying Canon and Nikon has only two advantages - you can borrow your friends' lenses and the second hand local market is much bigger. With Canon/Nikon when you "upgrade" to a full frame it's basically buying a new system anyway.

After a long time since having my first dslr and changing systems I find that all I need for apsc is a 17-50mm 2.8 (I would love to have in body IS...), a 55-250mm, and an ultrawide. Of course, with new dslr buyers they need some time to learn their needs. Other than sports and action, Pentax should be able to handle all types of photography for an apsc system.

Also, I would recommend buying second hand lenses if you know how. If you buy a second hand lens and decide to sell it later you probably can sell it for close to the price you bought it for.

As for buying a $400 lens with similar range to replace the kit lens, yes I totally recommend it because you don't have as much aperture control/low light performance with the kit lens and you definitely learn faster when you can explore more options (aperture, low light).
I do appreciate the value of these lenses, but unless you have a way to unload costs $400 + tax is a LOT of money. More than the cost of the body even. It seems more logical to me to buy the Nikon or Canon version (assuming a similar price) as you could potentially keep the lenses for life, replacing/adding bodies as needed. That may not be an option with Pentax in the future, unfortunately.

Care to share some links to reliable used lens suppliers? Or are you talking local/kijiji? I don't seem to see Pentax lenses anywhere in my region.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)