Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light Coloured Sunrise Simulation $107.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2017 1:52 am
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote: I bought one of these, have never used it, don't like waking to the beep... I work shiftwork and have to get up around 0345 hrs, so I usually set my wife's alarm for 0330 hrs (I sleep downstairs when onshift) and have her come down, turn on one lamp... then 5 minutes later, come down again and turn on another... and then at 0345, have her turn on the overhead lights... works pretty good...
Wow, 3 downvotes on this??? I honestly did expect more, but hoped people would have a sense of humour, obviously not some.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3874 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
I've had this OP posted light for a second year now. It is one of the best purchases I've made. I wake up without a morning headache that's caused by the loud beeping of traditional alarms. Also I wake up slowly rather than all at once.

This was a genius idea and it's no wonder these sell. It might become a default thing in alarms in the not too distant future.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
barqers wrote: I'm curious, I've watched some reviews, but I have my own setup currently:
I have milight bulbs in the bedroom bedside table lamps, and when my phone alarm goes off the milights turn on 10% brightness, and slowly go up every 2.5 minutes until it reaches the max brightness where it stays on for 10mins then turns off.

Is there anything I'd gain from this wake up light versus the milight/tasker setup? I always see posts about this wakeup light and want one but wondering if I can justify the $100 or if my current setup does the trick to some % level of this one.
Are there cheap vendors for Milight brand? Are there other "overseas" brands that are cheaper, or work the same? I have colour changing bulbs, that have a remote, but nothing app related yet.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
jackass_ca wrote: Are there cheap vendors for Milight brand? Are there other "overseas" brands that are cheaper, or work the same? I have colour changing bulbs, that have a remote, but nothing app related yet.
This is what I ended up purchasing: MiLight Bulb

You can use the easybulb app, but I have Home Assistant running on a raspberry pi connected to my router, and so when my alarm goes off, tasker just sends commands to home assistant to control the bulb. I can share my setup, but I think a lot of people don't like working with home assistant or tasker lol.
Banned
Feb 16, 2017
27 posts
41 upvotes
barqers wrote: This is what I ended up purchasing: MiLight Bulb

You can use the easybulb app, but I have Home Assistant running on a raspberry pi connected to my router, and so when my alarm goes off, tasker just sends commands to home assistant to control the bulb. I can share my setup, but I think a lot of people don't like working with home assistant or tasker lol.
can't you just hook up IFTT to one of those Philips Hue starter kit bulb packs for something easier/reliable?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
dealsaint wrote: can't you just hook up IFTT to one of those Philips Hue starter kit bulb packs for something easier/reliable?
I actually find home assistant pretty reliable and find IFTTT to be insanely unreliable. I've specifically moved all my automations into home assistant and tasker to get out of IFTTT - it's just too slow a lot of the time and you'll see noticeable lags between when you expect something to happen and when IFTTT finally gets around to doing it...

My goal is to get a smartthings hub to be honest, as people have created a custom device type to get milight to work with it.
Banned
Feb 16, 2017
27 posts
41 upvotes
barqers wrote: I actually find home assistant pretty reliable and find IFTTT to be insanely unreliable. I've specifically moved all my automations into home assistant and tasker to get out of IFTTT - it's just too slow a lot of the time and you'll see noticeable lags between when you expect something to happen and when IFTTT finally gets around to doing it...

My goal is to get a smartthings hub to be honest, as people have created a custom device type to get milight to work with it.
Really? I haven't had any issues. Only thing I have that hooked up to is sleep as android (the app) to turn on my lights when the alarm starts going off. I don't need it to be on the spot, long as the lights are on so maybe I haven't noticed that lol.

I'll check out home assistant though, I have a spare raspberry pi around here somewhere
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1496 posts
1037 upvotes
moncton
My biggest peeve with this device is setting the sleep function. First it maxes out at 60 minutes, which is annoying that they would limit your options for no good reason. Second you have to turn the radio on then set the sleep function independently. And all of these extra button presses increases the chance you'll hit the capacitive rim which turns on the lamp on the device, and of course it never turns back off as easy as it turns on. So often I end up trying to fall asleep angry because of the clock.

But to be fair, in the year and a half I've owned it I haven't had a real opportunity to test its wake up ability and I'm the type that can sleep through just about anything. In fact back when I used to work nights I would go to bed just before my wifes alarm would go off to wake her up and the sound of her alarm would actually help me fall asleep.

Anyway, I like the idea of a wakup light, especially for heavy sleepers like me that have a hard time waking up to sound but if I had it to do over again I would probably just go with a smart light bulb.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1670 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
dealsaint wrote: Really? I haven't had any issues. Only thing I have that hooked up to is sleep as android (the app) to turn on my lights when the alarm starts going off. I don't need it to be on the spot, long as the lights are on so maybe I haven't noticed that lol.

I'll check out home assistant though, I have a spare raspberry pi around here somewhere
That's exactly what I use on my phone, sleep with android and tasker as a third party plug in. Really handy, and I actually just mimmicked the 'sunrise colors' by setting the rgb more orangey at first.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1343 posts
575 upvotes
MARKHAM
Honestly, good luck with more electronics around you. Trying to fall asleep even with a led lit up in my room is tough.
Hey lets try something, open a bit of your curtains before you fall asleep so in the morning the sunlight shines into your room. Ta-da, save $100.
Aug 10, 2006
687 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
purebluejapan wrote: Honestly, good luck with more electronics around you. Trying to fall asleep even with a led lit up in my room is tough.
Hey lets try something, open a bit of your curtains before you fall asleep so in the morning the sunlight shines into your room. Ta-da, save $100.
Doesn't quite work in the winter

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)