Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 60W 3rd Gen - $47 [Prime Only]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 6:48 pm
Jan 11, 2016
441 posts
318 upvotes
Made in Canada
I got these before but hated the fact that a switch turned off accidently will override the system. I'd rather just have smart switches for dim ability and on/off. $50 for a bulb is also excessively expensive. Even in my bedroom there's 3x A19 bulbs in a fixture along with 6 pot lights.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2012
26 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
Totoriko wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:35 am
Exclusively for Prime Members
This item is reserved for Prime members.
ack, completely forgot to add that. thanks!
Jul 31, 2008
281 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
needybot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:24 am
The Hue seems to be the most expensive of the bunch and uses a hub (aka vender lock in). Assuming Alexa, Google, and Homekit is present Is there a reason to buy the Hue over other vendors that are either cheaper or without a hub?
Reasons why I like the Hue... and keep in mind I have only used the Hue for "smart" bulbs:
  • No perceptible RFI. I hate high RFI devices in my house, and with literally dozens of these, they are super quiet. They are built extremely well IMHO.
  • They are not on my network. I like the hub gives a secondary network. I already have enough devices on the wifi network I manage, and do not want (a lot) more.
  • I trust the Philips life estimates. A lot of LED devices have early failure. So far, I have had no failures and super reliable operation.
  • Great colour palette. I get beautiful effects. I think lighting is the first thing you should do to make your living space nice.
My fall back for cheap (non smart) LEDs is IKEA. They do an amazing job as well with great colour temperatures. Worst bulbs I have are Cree. They were massive RFI generators with horrible temperature (I expected better given they are great for the actual LEDs).
Jul 24, 2014
137 posts
96 upvotes
Westmount, QC
How do these compare to the Merkury Innovations wifi colour bulbs that were $10?

Also, could these bulbs be used in enclosed fixtures?
Jul 19, 2018
54 posts
58 upvotes
BiteSizeThumb wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:45 am
I got these before but hated the fact that a switch turned off accidently will override the system. I'd rather just have smart switches for dim ability and on/off. $50 for a bulb is also excessively expensive. Even in my bedroom there's 3x A19 bulbs in a fixture along with 6 pot lights.
I know it's janky but I put a small strip of packing tape over my switches in the on position so my girlfriend doesn't forget, it's not perceptible unless you're inches away. Also Hue just recently did an update to give the bulbs the ability to memorize what state they were last in so if they are switched off, they go right back to their old setting when switched on, not the default daytime yellow
Jul 19, 2018
54 posts
58 upvotes
seeparks wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:52 am
How do these compare to the Merkury Innovations wifi colour bulbs that were $10?

Also, could these bulbs be used in enclosed fixtures?
In terms of color, definitely better
In terms of lifetime, I can't say for certain as I don't know a lot about the Merkury bulbs but I'd be confident in saying they'll last longer too.

I use mine in enclosed fixtures
Sep 13, 2015
437 posts
310 upvotes
Alberta
These bulbs were recently $41.99 but this is still a decent deal
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2747 posts
410 upvotes
Do you need the hub or can I just control them with an app?
Jesus saves, I spend
Sep 13, 2015
437 posts
310 upvotes
Alberta
Lazy Susan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:30 am
Do you need the hub or can I just control them with an app?
You need a hub to control them. Find a deal on a starter bundle if you are interested in the hue ecosytem
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2747 posts
410 upvotes
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:39 am
You need a hub to control them. Find a deal on a starter bundle if you are interested in the hue ecosytem
Thanks. I'll probably wait to see if there are any better deals on a bundle throughout the year.
Jesus saves, I spend
Jan 11, 2016
441 posts
318 upvotes
Made in Canada
ohwowhi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:57 am
I know it's janky but I put a small strip of packing tape over my switches in the on position so my girlfriend doesn't forget, it's not perceptible unless you're inches away. Also Hue just recently did an update to give the bulbs the ability to memorize what state they were last in so if they are switched off, they go right back to their old setting when switched on, not the default daytime yellow
I decided to invest in the Wink system instead since it supports Z-Wave/Zigbee as well as Hue and many other systems, being an all in one unit. A single smart switch for around $30 that controls 6 pot lights over 6 Hue bulbs is a better deal and easier system for me since I can use the switch to turn it off, but also use the app along with location services and IFTTT
[OP]
Sep 27, 2012
26 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
Lazy Susan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:42 am
Thanks. I'll probably wait to see if there are any better deals on a bundle throughout the year.
I linked the 4-pack kit in the OP, it's a bit more per bulb. Someone else linked this bundle from Best Buy, with 3 bulbs, a dimmer and hub.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2747 posts
410 upvotes
kavmac wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:19 pm
I linked the 4-pack kit in the OP, it's a bit more per bulb. Someone else linked this bundle from Best Buy, with 3 bulbs, a dimmer and hub.
I saw that. It's a good deal but I'm gonna wait to see if it comes down in price again. According to C^3 it went down to $160 for what looks like Black Friday. Hoping to get it at or around that price.
Jesus saves, I spend
[OP]
Sep 27, 2012
26 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
Lazy Susan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:26 pm
I saw that. It's a good deal but I'm gonna wait to see if it comes down in price again. According to C^3 it went down to $160 for what looks like Black Friday. Hoping to get it at or around that price.
I ordered a 4-pack in Dec '17 for $153 for a friend, so yeah, I agree with you there - you might be able to find a combo with individual bulbs on a good sale + a new hub bought off FB Market or Kijiji or similar, as lots of people get rid of the hub after they buy a new kit for less than the bulbs individually. Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6803 posts
560 upvotes
lifx is wifi bulbs on 2.4.... if you're big into tech or are in a condo you probably have 100+ other devices on your wifi. The hub eliminates that, go search for lifx installation issues and you'll see why the $10 is worth it for most. I can do what the hue can do with 4 pin led from anywhere but its one where the extra $xxx you'll spend will benefit you in the long run imo. I have tried dozens of brands bulbs and switches and can't say i've had an experience easier than hue.

also keep an eye on the amazon warehouse deals they have a fair number of them used (aka returned). it's a lightbulb and you reset it anyway, all the items i've bought from warehouse appear new or unused