Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 60W 3rd Gen - $47 [Prime Only]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 6:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2739 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
One thing I find the hub helps with is with lighting effects. When you're throwing out 3, 5, 10 commands at your lights per second the ones with the hubs keep up much better than standalone WiFi bulbs. For simple on/off operations I'm sure it doesn't matter as much. I've got my lights programmed through an app and Python script on my server to run a lighting effect across all my lights including smart plugs for string lighting I have (this includes tp-link WiFi switches, TP link WiFi plugs, several hue lights, and a wemo switch. The hue bulbs respond by far better than any of my other devices. I'm not even sure if LIFX has an api but I cant imagine they'd respond as well with multiple commands passed to each individual light per second.

I picked up my hue 4 bulb colour starter pack in the summer when they were on clearance at Walmart for 125. Then I picked up a bulb during the best buy free google home glitch, effectively getting the bulb and home mini for 42 plus tax (or around 20 each). During the Amazon RBC Avion promotion I picked up another 2 hue bulbs for $42 each minus the $10 promo ($32 each). I consider anything around $50 normal price now. If you wait you can get better deals.

Ive been debating purchasing one of these $30 lights to see how reliable they are. They are zigbee lights and connect through the hue app as a result and can be controlled like a normal hue light. Only thing is they won't work for entertainment groups in the hue app per my understanding.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-H ... 446e96c909
Jul 26, 2013
391 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
mdl.tor wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:50 am
Reasons why I like the Hue... and keep in mind I have only used the Hue for "smart" bulbs:
  • No perceptible RFI. I hate high RFI devices in my house, and with literally dozens of these, they are super quiet. They are built extremely well IMHO.
  • They are not on my network. I like the hub gives a secondary network. I already have enough devices on the wifi network I manage, and do not want (a lot) more.
  • I trust the Philips life estimates. A lot of LED devices have early failure. So far, I have had no failures and super reliable operation.
  • Great colour palette. I get beautiful effects. I think lighting is the first thing you should do to make your living space nice.
My fall back for cheap (non smart) LEDs is IKEA. They do an amazing job as well with great colour temperatures. Worst bulbs I have are Cree. They were massive RFI generators with horrible temperature (I expected better given they are great for the actual LEDs).
I've tried 5 different makes of bulbs.

Mistake 1: A cheap no name Ebay model that said "wireless" and "speaker". Being a dummy I didn't read the fine print that the color change didn't actually work off my phone. Had a physical remote and separate Bluetooth for speaker. Speaker wasn't that good either. Good idea in theory. Poor execution.
Mistake 2: A single Hue bulb on special. Didn't realize I needed hub (still sitting in the box)
Mistake 3: A Sengled 4 bulb and hub kit I bought for cheap on Black Friday. Worked fine but regretted buying because no colour (not company's fault as they do have colored model)
Mistake 4 A Luniman bulb. This one claimed in the Amazon ad to work with Google home mini but apparently there is extra configuration step and no Homekit support (couldn't be bothered reading documentation. Sitting in box)
Mistake 5: A Lifx colored bulb. Setup was super easy for both Homekit and Google Home. Works great. Happy for a few days... then I realized there is a whole ecosystem of lighting changes I'd like to make

Which brings me back to the Hue. As a few posters mentioned here, it's expensive but seems to be the most versatile option. Found a wide variety of lighting products that can be configured to work with one another on Philip's website. Bought a 3rd gen kit today. Fingers crossed.
Jul 26, 2013
391 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleafs89 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:07 pm
One thing I find the hub helps with is with lighting effects. When you're throwing out 3, 5, 10 commands at your lights per second the ones with the hubs keep up much better than standalone WiFi bulbs. For simple on/off operations I'm sure it doesn't matter as much. I've got my lights programmed through an app and Python script on my server to run a lighting effect across all my lights including smart plugs for string lighting I have (this includes tp-link WiFi switches, TP link WiFi plugs, several hue lights, and a wemo switch. The hue bulbs respond by far better than any of my other devices. I'm not even sure if LIFX has an api but I cant imagine they'd respond as well with multiple commands passed to each individual light per second.

I picked up my hue 4 bulb colour starter pack in the summer when they were on clearance at Walmart for 125. Then I picked up a bulb during the best buy free google home glitch, effectively getting the bulb and home mini for 42 plus tax (or around 20 each). During the Amazon RBC Avion promotion I picked up another 2 hue bulbs for $42 each minus the $10 promo ($32 each). I consider anything around $50 normal price now. If you wait you can get better deals.

Ive been debating purchasing one of these $30 lights to see how reliable they are. They are zigbee lights and connect through the hue app as a result and can be controlled like a normal hue light. Only thing is they won't work for entertainment groups in the hue app per my understanding.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-H ... 446e96c909
What API are you using to do the effects? (link would be great).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3954 posts
914 upvotes
Charlottetown
Thanks OP. for anyone on a budget, i bought a 2 pack of these, and was so impressed i bought another two pack, will probably get more. no hub needed and works great with my Google Home Mini, though i see a few comments where people using Echo are finding them tricky https://www.amazon.ca/TECKIN-Dimmable-M ... Bbulb&th=1
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11045 posts
2599 upvotes
Have 2 of the starter kits. Got them at Home Depot, 3 bulbs and hub for $59. Still in the box though. Also have the br30 starter kit that I use at Halloween for ambient lighting set to soundtrack.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5683 posts
1516 upvotes
Montreal
needybot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:24 am
The Hue seems to be the most expensive of the bunch and uses a hub (aka vender lock in). Assuming Alexa, Google, and Homekit is present Is there a reason to buy the Hue over other vendors that are either cheaper or without a hub?
While you'll get the best experience with the Hue Bridge, you're not locked in to using it. You can use something like the Amazon Echo Plus or SmartThings instead.
Jul 26, 2013
391 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:30 pm
While you'll get the best experience with the Hue Bridge, you're not locked in to using it. You can use something like the Amazon Echo Plus or SmartThings instead.

Just so I understand this correctly... I can use a Hue bulb with Amazon Echo Plus or Smart things hub? If so, is there a reason why I would choose one hub over another?
May 26, 2007
910 posts
412 upvotes
needybot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:36 pm
Just so I understand this correctly... I can use a Hue bulb with Amazon Echo Plus or Smart things hub? If so, is there a reason why I would choose one hub over another?
You need the Philips hub to get all the features for the rgb bulbs. The echo plus hub allows you to connect but not same experience
Jul 26, 2013
391 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:30 pm

Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2739 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
needybot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:57 pm
What API are you using to do the effects? (link would be great).
I use qhue which is a python api for interacting with your hue lights. It's takes quite a bit of effort to make patterns that look good through code. There is also an open source app for hockey that triggers your hue lights to flash when your team scores, there are prebuilt apks available for download for anyone that doesn't want to rebuild. I recompiled and added in some code to call by python script (which relies on qhue) to run a custom goal light routine since the one that's built in the app is kind of dull :p

https://github.com/quentinsf/qhue

https://gitlab.com/mudar-ca/huegoallight-android
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7822 posts
1814 upvotes
Scarberia
Damn petty hot if u also have Acura 10 credit saved and amazon cash epost 10 off stacked

Is the 50pricing dead?, I see 199Face Screaming In Fear
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5683 posts
1516 upvotes
Montreal
mapleleafs89 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:42 am
I use qhue which is a python api for interacting with your hue lights. It's takes quite a bit of effort to make patterns that look good through code. There is also an open source app for hockey that triggers your hue lights to flash when your team scores, there are prebuilt apks available for download for anyone that doesn't want to rebuild. I recompiled and added in some code to call by python script (which relies on qhue) to run a custom goal light routine since the one that's built in the app is kind of dull :p

https://github.com/quentinsf/qhue

https://gitlab.com/mudar-ca/huegoallight-android
I figured there had to be some sort of goal light option available. Thanks for sharing! I might finally get a coloured Hue bulb now.

Is the delay really 30-60 seconds though?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2739 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:25 am
I figured there had to be some sort of goal light option available. Thanks for sharing! I might finally get a coloured Hue bulb now.

Is the delay really 30-60 seconds though?
No it's not quite that bad. In my experience using it throughout the current season the delay is anywhere from 1 second - 15 seconds in most cases. Btw I should also mention v1.3.2 stopped pairing with my bridge, I contacted the developer and he figured out there was some API change that broke it but an older version was still working available here https://gitlab.com/mudar-ca/huegoalligh ... /tags/v1.3. (Just in case you find the one from his website doesn't pair).
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4926 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a HTPC, you can sync your Hue lights to your movie/music/games through this OSX/Windows application:

https://www2.meethue.com/en-ca/entertainment

I have Hues in my living room and bedroom; not entirely sure that they worth the price but they are neat (especially if you are into tech stuff as you can sync it with your smart home/devices). One thing I am struggling to buy right now are the Hue lightstrips for my TV. While openbloom works with the ebay RGBWW LED strips, they aren't that much cheaper than the Hues (like $20 cheaper, with no guarantee of ongoing support or integration with the Hue hub). I like the LIFX LED strips more as they can do individual color zones on a single LED strip (the Hues can't), it doesn't seem like they are compatible with openbloom.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5683 posts
1516 upvotes
Montreal
mapleleafs89 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:32 am
No it's not quite that bad. In my experience using it throughout the current season the delay is anywhere from 1 second - 15 seconds in most cases. Btw I should also mention v1.3.2 stopped pairing with my bridge, I contacted the developer and he figured out there was some API change that broke it but an older version was still working available here https://gitlab.com/mudar-ca/huegoalligh ... /tags/v1.3. (Just in case you find the one from his website doesn't pair).
Great, thanks! Do you have an APK for your version? Any way to also get a goal horn sound playing on a Google Home or Echo?