• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2015 2:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
City TV Breakfast Television Early (5-6am) just did a story on Amazon Prime Day sucking.

Best parts:

- Showing a PS4 and saying "Regular Price $399. Sale Price $399)
- Show a shoe horn for $11.99 and the reporter saying "You can get that at Dollarama"
- Saying if they do this next year they'll have to make some changes while chuckling
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Some of their lightning deals were a sad, sad joke.

Kept my eye on the Fullmetal Alchemist box set when it became a lightning deal... their own regular price is $137.93, was hoping to see it go down to less than $70 except when it became a lightning deal the "regular price" magically jumped to $220 and the sale price was a pathetic $110 yet they were marking it as being 50% off.

Best part was they listed their own regular price directly above the lightning deal regular/sale price.

[IMG]http://imgur.com/yAKzKDv.png[/IMG]

The other one I noticed was the Bosch two piece cordless drill kit, it became a lightning deal at 6pm I think last night for $199.99 except they were selling it for $159.99 right before.

Again, sale was huge joke.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2009
1891 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
They had this watch with a massive MSRP of ~$2,200 and it was like ~95% off going for like ~$100. I can't believe people were buying it too. The watch probably only cost $50 to make. What a joke! LOL
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2810 posts
1557 upvotes
Canadia
jmatheson64 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2015 3:00 pm
I don't it isn't just amazon, its everywhere in Canada. Even Hot Deals has been sparse with anything crazy in the past few years. I can't remember seeing a Stooples YMMV thread in a long time. All the banking and cell phone signups have reworded their terms to fee-free cancellations. First world problems :P
Well, my company looked at the math. Our devices are designed with the US market in mind, and the plunging Canadian dollar has really put a damper on the discounts we can offer to Canadians. Our solution was to keep the MSRP the same but not discount the wholesale price heavily. That avoids pricing ourselves out of the market most of the year, but has the side effect of keeping our stuff out of the Black Friday blowout sales.

It's actually a good thing, because I *hate* hearing from prospective customers who say something like, "I saw it at $99.95 before xmas, so I'm not going to pay an extra $30 for it now." They've been trained to bargain hunt, and it's biting manufacturers and retailers in the butt.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
EdLeafs wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 9:41 am
They had this watch with a massive MSRP of ~$2,200 and it was like ~95% off going for like ~$100. I can't believe people were buying it too. The watch probably only cost $50 to make. What a joke! LOL
Yeah, they were pulling the old Canadian-Tire-Sales trick of artificially inflating the regular/list price of an item during a sale so they advertise higher "percentage-off" figures. I noticed many items that were 50 to 80% off on Amazon yesterday were really only between 10 to 25% off.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
679 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Winkle wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 9:08 am
Some of their lightning deals were a sad, sad joke.

Kept my eye on the Fullmetal Alchemist box set when it became a lightning deal... their own regular price is $137.93, was hoping to see it go down to less than $70 except when it became a lightning deal the "regular price" magically jumped to $220 and the sale price was a pathetic $110 yet they were marking it as being 50% off.

Best part was they listed their own regular price directly above the lightning deal regular/sale price.

[IMG]http://imgur.com/yAKzKDv.png[/IMG]

The other one I noticed was the Bosch two piece cordless drill kit, it became a lightning deal at 6pm I think last night for $199.99 except they were selling it for $159.99 right before.

Again, sale was huge joke.
Is that not illegal?

False or misleading ordinary selling price representations
The false or misleading ordinary selling price provisions of the Competition Act are designed to ensure that when products are promoted at sale prices, consumers are not misled by reference to inflated regular prices.

The Act prohibits false or misleading representations to the public as to the ordinary selling price of a product, in any form whatsoever. Ordinary selling price is validated in one of two ways: either a substantial volume of the product was sold at that price or higher, within a reasonable amount of time (volume test); or the product was offered for sale, in good faith, for a substantial period of time at that price or a higher price (time test).
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
Beachdown wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 11:27 am
Is that not illegal?

False or misleading ordinary selling price representations
The false or misleading ordinary selling price provisions of the Competition Act are designed to ensure that when products are promoted at sale prices, consumers are not misled by reference to inflated regular prices.

The Act prohibits false or misleading representations to the public as to the ordinary selling price of a product, in any form whatsoever. Ordinary selling price is validated in one of two ways: either a substantial volume of the product was sold at that price or higher, within a reasonable amount of time (volume test); or the product was offered for sale, in good faith, for a substantial period of time at that price or a higher price (time test).
I highly doubt it.
Amazon tends to describe things as having a "list" price (MSRP), not a regular price. Certain things, like the Fullmetal alchamist box set, are listed with a list price that the item never really sells for. It's really common for certain watch brands.

I haven't seen them inflate the MSRP for the purposes of this sale though.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
UnCeo wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 2:21 pm
I highly doubt it.
Amazon tends to describe things as having a "list" price (MSRP), not a regular price. Certain things, like the Fullmetal alchamist box set, are listed with a list price that the item never really sells for. It's really common for certain watch brands.

I haven't seen them inflate the MSRP for the purposes of this sale though.
Right, what they're doing is not illegal because of technicalities but everyone knows what's up.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
Winkle wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 2:34 pm
Right, what they're doing is not illegal because of technicalities but everyone knows what's up.
Well it's not like they haven't been doing it every day for years. Why are you complaining now?
Nov 3, 2010
488 posts
413 upvotes
Meanwhile the Americans at least get to brag they got the LG G4 for 1 cent lol

Also, I wonder where he got this from :facepalm:

Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1608 posts
1177 upvotes
Ambushes wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 3:03 pm
Meanwhile the Americans at least get to brag they got the LG G4 for 1 cent lol

Also, I wonder where he got this from :facepalm:

How much did amazon sell the mic for? Was it on amazon.ca or .com?
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2009
1891 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon Prime Day: shoppers buy 398 items every second...

Amazon also broke out the best-selling products in each country on Prime Day:
US: Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy
UK: Lenovo FLEX 10 10.1-inch Multimode Touchscreen Notebook
Spain: SSD Drive
Japan: Green smoothie mix
Italy: Logitech keyboard
Germany: Croc sandals
France: Monopoly board game
Canada: Huggies nappies
Austria: Croc sandals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... econd.html
Mar 4, 2015
401 posts
40 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Very disappointing, especially since I always order from Amazon. I really thought it was going to be so much better. Epic failure on amazon's part.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4097 upvotes
Ottawa
EdLeafs wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 4:24 pm
Amazon Prime Day: shoppers buy 398 items every second...

Amazon also broke out the best-selling products in each country on Prime Day:
US: Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy
UK: Lenovo FLEX 10 10.1-inch Multimode Touchscreen Notebook
Spain: SSD Drive
Japan: Green smoothie mix
Italy: Logitech keyboard
Germany: Croc sandals
France: Monopoly board game
Canada: Huggies nappies
Austria: Croc sandals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... econd.html
Rest of the world must think we're full of ***** after reading that.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain