• Oct 21st, 2019 9:17 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16499 posts
1533 upvotes
Thornhill
batman2002 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 4:19 pm
Just curious, how does the radon get into the device? I taped the radon level sticker that came with the box onto the front, that shouldn't impact readings/accuracy right?
think there are grills on the back.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1111 posts
269 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 4:25 pm
think there are grills on the back.

bjl
Does this unit have to be vertical? Or can it be horizontal on a shelf?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16499 posts
1533 upvotes
Thornhill
bizzyseller wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 4:26 pm
Does this unit have to be vertical? Or can it be horizontal on a shelf?
placement rules are in the manual :facepalm:

I don't recall seeing anything saying it had to be vertical.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1111 posts
269 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 4:27 pm
placement rules are in the manual :facepalm:

I don't recall seeing anything saying it had to be vertical.

bjl
What is "bjl"
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3333 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa
Wish I'd never bought this. First room I'm testing is at 160 avg so far.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3333 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa
porksoda wrote:
Oct 19th, 2019 8:25 pm
Set up the system in the basement.
Yeah that's where it is.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5812 posts
1692 upvotes
GTA
Konowl wrote:
Oct 19th, 2019 8:34 pm
Yeah that's where it is.
I meant the radon mitigation system. Set that up.
160 is good for US-CAN but id be aiming for < 100
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1078 posts
432 upvotes
robfun wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 12:28 pm
For those who did a DIY solution and those who had a contractor do the install, I have a few questions.
@CalgaryBen @MikeB84225 @Drizzt @muffin_man @instanoodles @bya1998 @d_Ave

• How did you pick the location for the suction point in the slab? Did you do any test points? Did you pick the area with the highest radon levels? Corners vs side-walls? This guide has code limitations on page 46/54.
  • how did you get through the slab? I saw someone mentioned a powerful rented hammerDrill. Did it come with bits? How does this process work? I'm a newb about this. Anyone recommend a good video?
  • Does the fan come with a cord that you can plug right into an outlet? Is there any special electrical work required?
Thanks!
- My basement was finished, so I had 2 possible locations. One was close to the furnace intake, so not there. Ideally, would be right in the middle of the house, but apparently it's not needed. Put it in a place where the noise isn't an issue. It's not loud, but I'd rather not have it close to my office/bedroom. Sounds like a bathroom fan thats on a few rooms away.
- You can rent a drill and a core bit (cleanest look). I had a hammer drill and bits, so I drilled smaller holes in a circle, then used a cold chisel to knock the center out. Much more difficult though. Maybe not as pretty if you're not careful. I was most worried about pipes and rebar, so also a consideration when picking a spot.
- Mine didn't come with a cord. I hardwired mine to a switch. It likely depends on what fan you buy.
Jun 10, 2003
621 posts
52 upvotes
Halifax
robfun wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 12:28 pm
For those who did a DIY solution and those who had a contractor do the install, I have a few questions.
@CalgaryBen @MikeB84225 @Drizzt @muffin_man @instanoodles @bya1998 @d_Ave

• How did you pick the location for the suction point in the slab? Did you do any test points? Did you pick the area with the highest radon levels? Corners vs side-walls? This guide has code limitations on page 46/54.
    The contractor picked the location, the major concerns for location was to make sure that the exhaust isnt near a window or other air intake. I just happened to have a really good spot that was easily accessible.
  • how did you get through the slab? I saw someone mentioned a powerful rented hammerDrill. Did it come with bits? How does this process work? I'm a newb about this. Anyone recommend a good video?
    They used a concrete hole saw, I didnt see them drill the actual hole but I saw the concrete plug they drilled out on the floor.
  • Does the fan come with a cord that you can plug right into an outlet? Is there any special electrical work required?
    Nothing special on the electrical side, just needed a plug close by. All the did was put an orage sticker that says "radon fan, do not unplug"

Thanks!