Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Radon Detector - Corentium Home by Airthings - $179.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 11:58 am
Member
Jun 29, 2017
296 posts
960 upvotes
After 1 week with the new Corentium Home by Airthings, here is a 7-day (short term) comparison with our 3.5 year old Safety Siren Pro.

Corentium Home by Airthings: 166
Safety Siren Pro: 238
Difference: 72

The safety Siren Pro is supposed be calibrated annually by the company, but we haven't paid to have that done. I think I saw someone say it's $75 + shipping? I like that Corentium Home's calibration is supposed to be good for 10 years.

I haven't been a big fan of the Safety Siren. It only has 7-day and long term readings. I like Corentium's 1-day reading - I can tell more quickly if a change in the house "seems" to be having an impact. There are so many factors, it can be hard to tell, but waiting a full week was a long time.

As well, Safety Siren sounds an alarm whenever it goes above 200. Once the level hits 200, the alarm can be turned off. Great. Unfortunately, as soon as the level drops below 200, the alarm setting is turned back on. We often hover around the 200 mark, going just above and just below 200. Since I can't permanently disable the alarm, the alarm would be going off multiple times in a day despite me turning the alarm off each time. I have to remember to unplug the unit at night whenever it was around 200.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
14908 posts
1783 upvotes
Out west
Ive had mine in the furnace room for a week. If any place would be higher, assume its there. Every other room few days test low readings. In there the long term is 107, and short term says about 90. Funny thing is if I pick it up, the short term jumps 10 points
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16649 posts
1629 upvotes
Thornhill
WikkiWikki wrote: Ive had mine in the furnace room for a week. If any place would be higher, assume its there. Every other room few days test low readings. In there the long term is 107, and short term says about 90. Funny thing is if I pick it up, the short term jumps 10 points
Maybe you’re radioactive.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Newbie
Aug 14, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Anyone who bought this, tested your home, and no longer need it, please PM me
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1201 posts
369 upvotes
After a 6 days, my short term and long term after are the same. Also, it says Day 1 on the bottom left.

Anyone experience the same where short term is also the long term?

Shows code 2872 when I press mode a few times. Can't find anything about that code.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2012
569 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is still in transit to Home Depot here in Toronto. Taking time that is for sure. Also charged my CC in full.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16649 posts
1629 upvotes
Thornhill
Interesting survey of outdoor radon levels:

http://www.whaton.uwaterloo.ca/waton/s924.html
Figure 1 shows the 3 month summer outdoor radon concentrations for the 31 communities. The average radon concentrations for the provinces of Manitoba (59 Bq/m3) and Saskatchewan (61 Bq/m3) were found to exceed the average annual indoor level for the United States of 55 Bq/m3(9) and are roughly 6 times the estimated United States outdoor level of 10 Bq/m3.

One possible explanation for the regional variations in outdoor radon is the variation in the uranium concentration of the ground. However, very little correlation was found between radon and uranium concentration. The major factor that influenced the outdoor radon data was found to be the soil moisture content of the ground.

Figure 2 shows that the radon levels are all relatively constant and below 40 Bq/m3 when the annual precipitation exceeds about 550 mm. However, when the annual precipitation is less than 550 mm, the radon levels all exceed 30 Bq/m3 but also show large variations. When the soil pores are filled with water, radon cannot move through the soil, since it is a gas. Furthermore, it has a half-life of only 3.8 days.

Analysis of the precipitation data also showed that the summer of 1990 was particularly dry on the prairies. The city of Winnipeg had its driest July to October for 117 years. Therefore the high radon levels found in the prairies during the summer of 1990 may not be typical. Subsequent measurements taken over a 3 week period in July 1991 showed that the outdoor radon levels in Manitoba were reduced by a factor of approximately 4 from their 1990 levels. This was attributed to the much greater precipitation which occurred during and shortly before the 1991 measurement period.

Many people in the U.S. are advocating the reduction of indoor radon guidelines to below the level of the outside air. The United Kingdom have recommended that the indoor levels for new houses should be reduced to levels which are less than the outdoor levels for several places in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Does this mean people in these high radon communities should leave? In reducing the indoor radon levels and setting guidelines for these levels, it is almost certain that in the future the outdoor radon levels will have to be considered.
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17908 posts
10304 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
t3359 wrote: Interesting survey of outdoor radon levels:

http://www.whaton.uwaterloo.ca/waton/s924.html
Unfortunately this is just the abstract from a journal article that's behind a paywall: https://journals.lww.com/health-physics ... e=abstract

Some numbers for various areas in Canada: Radon Environmental estimates (circa 2011): Supplemental data
veni, vidi, Visa
Member
Jun 29, 2017
296 posts
960 upvotes
robfun wrote: After 1 week with the new Corentium Home by Airthings, here is a 7-day (short term) comparison with our 3.5 year old Safety Siren Pro.

Corentium Home by Airthings: 166
Safety Siren Pro: 238
Difference: 72

The safety Siren Pro is supposed be calibrated annually by the company, but we haven't paid to have that done. I think I saw someone say it's $75 + shipping? I like that Corentium Home's calibration is supposed to be good for 10 years.

I haven't been a big fan of the Safety Siren. It only has 7-day and long term readings. I like Corentium's 1-day reading - I can tell more quickly if a change in the house "seems" to be having an impact. There are so many factors, it can be hard to tell, but waiting a full week was a long time.

As well, Safety Siren sounds an alarm whenever it goes above 200. Once the level hits 200, the alarm can be turned off. Great. Unfortunately, as soon as the level drops below 200, the alarm setting is turned back on. We often hover around the 200 mark, going just above and just below 200. Since I can't permanently disable the alarm, the alarm would be going off multiple times in a day despite me turning the alarm off each time. I have to remember to unplug the unit at night whenever it was around 200.
AN update on this. It appears the Corentium Home needed more than a week to calibrate.

For the past week, the 2 radon detectors have generally been within 10 of each other. Currently:

Corentium Home by Airthings: 197
Safety Siren Pro: 203
Difference: 6
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30319 posts
1429 upvotes
Fernando Po
Just started mine in the house we're renting, the reading after nine hours is 204. We won't be putting in a mitigation system since we don't own it. Guessing limited exposure is okay? My daughter would have her TV down there which means a few hours during weekdays, maybe eight during the weekend and holidays. My son visits for a max. of a week a few times a year and will be down there. Was hoping it would be closer to 100 but 204 is still less than I feared. Would cracking open a window help?

Update: Its now reading 245 average, 275 one day.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16649 posts
1629 upvotes
Thornhill
hagbard wrote: Just started mine in the house we're renting, the reading after nine hours is 204. We won't be putting in a mitigation system since we don't own it. Guessing limited exposure is okay? My daughter would have her TV down there which means a few hours during weekdays, maybe eight during the weekend and holidays. My son visits for a max. of a week a few times a year and will be down there. Was hoping it would be closer to 100 but 204 is still less than I feared. Would cracking open a window help?

Update: Its now reading 245 average, 275 one day.
It's all statistical in terms of possibility of lung cancer etc.

Opening a window will definitely help. Running a bathroom exhaust fan would work as well. Keep in mind the possibility of negative pressure of course.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30319 posts
1429 upvotes
Fernando Po
t3359 wrote: It's all statistical in terms of possibility of lung cancer etc.

Opening a window will definitely help. Running a bathroom exhaust fan would work as well. Keep in mind the possibility of negative pressure of course.

bjl
Thanks. Looks like we might be moving twice in one year.
Newbie
Oct 29, 2006
44 posts
13 upvotes
You need to run it for at least 3 months to get an accurate picture. Levels can vary wildly from day to day.

Top