Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 3:58 am
Stole some more things.
Bought a 25qt Aluminium Brazier for $25 and a 20qt Stainless Brazier for $50.
Price jumped to $120 and $240 after purchase.
So that was you, I had my eye on the 25 (24?) quart, been watching it for a while. So many great deals, I can't believe some of the stuff I'got for a fraction of the real price. I try hard to resist things that I know I won't use often but when the price drops I can't resist. I got a 14" aluminum fry pan for $7.94, among other things.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13945 posts
885 upvotes
johnnygeorgekins wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:26 pm
bait and switch except amazon is not doing the advertising. RFD and other unpaid agents are the advertisers so amazon is not doing anything illegal. new law required.
I know claiming something is bait and switch has been a favourite past time of RFD, but this is not bait and switch as there is no switch.

Here is the Amazon price history of the keyboard

https://ca. camel camel camel .com/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard/product/B014EUQOGK - jesus christ RFD I'm trying to provide useful information and you censor my link, wtf.

I've seen where an item will say it's the last one, sell and then greatly increased third party seller price because the only one available, only for a couple of days later the Amazon provided item is back in stock. As the graph for the keyboard shows just the Amazon price we can see that the price does fluctuate.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1080 posts
451 upvotes
I think that Amazon is using a few different pricing algorithm depending on the sales volume and profit margins of their products

I noticed that it's a lot harder to find deals on Amazon in the last 2-3 months. Their pricing algorithm is too sensitive to page views or as soon as someone buys an item the price will increase.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4671 upvotes
Cheap wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 7:00 am
So that was you, I had my eye on the 25 (24?) quart, been watching it for a while. So many great deals, I can't believe some of the stuff I'got for a fraction of the real price. I try hard to resist things that I know I won't use often but when the price drops I can't resist. I got a 14" aluminum fry pan for $7.94, among other things.
I've stolen a good bit of kitchen equipment from Amazon including frying pans for roughly that too.
It took a few months but it finally came down again.
It helps if you don't have a size in mind. 25qt is pretty big for residential use.

andersb wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 7:12 am
Their pricing algorithm is too sensitive to page views or as soon as someone buys an item the price will increase.
That just means I have to use the Costco approach to buying things.
If you want it, buy it right now with 1 click or someone else will.
It helps if you have Prime too.
Temp. Banned
Jan 5, 2017
262 posts
209 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 7:01 am
I know claiming something is bait and switch has been a favourite past time of RFD, but this is not bait and switch as there is no switch.

Here is the Amazon price history of the keyboard

https://ca. camel camel camel .com/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard/product/B014EUQOGK - jesus christ RFD I'm trying to provide useful information and you censor my link, wtf.

I've seen where an item will say it's the last one, sell and then greatly increased third party seller price because the only one available, only for a couple of days later the Amazon provided item is back in stock. As the graph for the keyboard shows just the Amazon price we can see that the price does fluctuate.
You are not grasping the concept of the modern bait and switch.
Sales pricing on Amazon often travels by word of mouth.
Drop the price and start the traffic flowing....then gradually raise the price to get more money out of those looking for the deal, they will still buy at a better than full price but they still pay more than the sale price they hoped for.

I have noticed this same pattern at the supermarket. Have you?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1375 posts
438 upvotes
As an FYI, the pricing for items when viewed using a mobile phone vs desktop is sometimes different as well.

I have personally witnesses this with a Hasbro Transformer toy (shipped and sold by Amazon) that I was buying. This item was posted by Bargain Barrels on Facebook so that's how I arrived at the item. On my Android mobile phone, it was listed at $48 but on my laptop using Firefox or Chrome, it was showing as $100. On my laptop, I tried refreshing, clearing my cache, etc. but I couldn't display the $48 price.

What I had to do was add the toy to my shopping cart at $48. Then go to my laptop, refresh my shopping cart to see the $48 price, then when I went back to the product page, it finally showed $48.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1191 posts
237 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Wow. This thread has opened my eyes a little. I had no idea that their pricing was so dynamic. I can't say I've ever noticed that before, but I don't use Amazon a lot.
Dec 1, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Price hike Jean Paul Gauthier 4.2 Oz bought it for 62 $ it is now priced at 91$ for no reason. When trying to post it in the review , Amazon actually shuts it down and responds that they can not post that review because you can only post about the specific product and not the price change ...
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2888 posts
2964 upvotes
I think everyone, as RFD members, get used to it by now with the dynamic pricing. It is bad for popular items, but it is also good that you can buy something with unexpected low price.

Although the price fluctuation is controlled by Amazon, certain items that you can also buy from other popular sites (like Walmart or Bestbuy) has pretty stable price.

Just beware of the Amazon lightning deals, the dynamic pricing applies within the period of deals too. You may see a different price from different period : (1) Prime Early Period (2) Regular Period (3) Last 5 to 10 minutes before the deal is closed

2Riskit wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:52 pm
interesting

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-sur ... -business/
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14180 posts
2537 upvotes
Toronto
2017 orders- 3
Orders in last 6 months- 0
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3624 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
andersb wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 7:12 am
I think that Amazon is using a few different pricing algorithm depending on the sales volume and profit margins of their products

I noticed that it's a lot harder to find deals on Amazon in the last 2-3 months. Their pricing algorithm is too sensitive to page views or as soon as someone buys an item the price will increase.
I just bought a black Spigen Slim Armor S8 case and the price was $22.99 a few days ago. Sold and shipped by Amazon. As soon as I bought it, the price jumped back to $39.99.

I’m buying a lot less because I hate the way they package the items. Just about all items arrive damaged because it shipped in a large bubble pack envelope.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3987 posts
1147 upvotes
ValentinoValenz wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:10 am
Price hike Jean Paul Gauthier 4.2 Oz bought it for 62 $ it is now priced at 91$ for no reason. When trying to post it in the review , Amazon actually shuts it down and responds that they can not post that review because you can only post about the specific product and not the price change ...
Most retailers delete prices in reviews now.

It also doesn't help that the Canadian dollar fluctuates as much as it does. A currency should not decline 30% vs. something more widely used.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10773 posts
1298 upvotes
Edmonton
The problem is twofold in a new era of click and buy shoppers:

1. Uneducated consumers who don't actually know the value of a product, because they either are misled by these deceptive dynamic pricing schemes, inflated MSRP, or outright omission of pricing changes on retailer reviews. Most people don't buy with their eyes open these days.

2. A new breed of shopper that has been conditioned to not care about the price of an item, instead to simply buy something they want on impulse (and often on credit!) with no regard to financial health consequences. A decade of easy credit, historically low interest rates, artificially inflated runaway property equity and huge government mandated wage inflation has changed the consumption attitudes of a whole new generation.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3987 posts
1147 upvotes
I didn't participate in the wage inflation or property inflation.

Prices are very important to me.