Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

RECADATA mSATA III MLC High Level Enterprise Class Solid State Drive SSD (256GB) $65.98

Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1766 posts
3653 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] RECADATA mSATA III MLC High Level Enterprise Class Solid State Drive SSD (256GB) $65.98

Seems like a decent price for laptops that have a mini SSD slot?
Newegg has it for 166.
It also says "MLC High Level Enterprise Class", if that means anything,
Anyone know about this brand? Or if it is a good buy?
Last edited by seanrc on Aug 13th, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
116 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
All these gray market SSDs from Amazon are a crap shoot and there are a LOT of failures. This is mass-produced China junk using dumpster parts, "mystery NAND" and untraceable controller part numbers, and with mSATA, some of it has been sitting on the shelf for years gathering dust and toxic fumes.

If you want a mSATA, buy name brand.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1534 posts
942 upvotes
I RFD wrote: Good price, Prime only though.
When I posted it was ~63 and not prime. Now it is 59 with prime. Very good price though for a 240GB SSD.
However if you look in the list you find Aero Malls which is fulfilled by Amazon @63.99, no prime.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1858 posts
627 upvotes
TO
Meh, Amazon + no name brand + too good to be true price... Pass.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
Good example but not in the same category. The one at the OP is an msata. Those are rare dogs, as they exist in older laptops, and are usually more expensive than the usual 2.5" inch type you provided. I know it cause I have an older msata laptop.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
I got a RECADATA mSATA and it is working fine for 2 years already.
Nov 15, 2017
102 posts
259 upvotes
Seems like Recadata markets there products for military, industrial and enterprise solutions. Found the like for this drive on there website. Its to bad that its mSata as its not a common form factor, however this seems like a decent price for a MLC drive. Also looks like it uses micron nand chips for what its worth.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
If it were M.2 2242 I'd consider it. Too late on the mSATA, already got a drive for that laptop.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Jul 15, 2009
525 posts
1213 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up doing a lot of research into SSDs when upgrading to an SSD cache array for my unRAID server. I ended up going with an unknown Chinese brand, and am very happy with the choice.

As long as the controller and the NAND chip are from reputable companies, do you really care who solders the board and assembles the case? There is a glut of high quality NAND chips in the market, and several sellers of high quality controllers that will work with a variety of NAND chips. The new era controller manufacturers provide standardized board designs that anyone can use for their controllers. So really, there is no need for expertise to manufacture SSDs anymore.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3824 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
With a name like "rec-a-data" I'm just not confident my data is safe haha
Aug 12, 2018
212 posts
198 upvotes
flame02 wrote: With a name like "rec-a-data" I'm just not confident my data is safe haha
LMAOO. Agreed.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12211 posts
2948 upvotes
I noticed that too, they claim their 16M SSD are tested for MIL-STD-810 standard.
mnc123 wrote: Seems like Recadata markets there products for military, industrial and enterprise solutions. Found the like for this drive on there website. Its to bad that its mSata as its not a common form factor, however this seems like a decent price for a MLC drive. Also looks like it uses micron nand chips for what its worth.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35601 posts
18981 upvotes
Good ol' Recadata...

Wait who???

Good thing it has MLC and claimed "high grade chip" whatever that means :lol:

Anyone know what actual controller an NAND are in use here?

Interestingly the sequential write is somewhat low and there are no IOPS numbers given. I suspect it actually is like the "enterprise" type drive it claims to be--with relatively low write performance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
not sure why people are so b1tchy about it.
it's $65, no tax, 3 years warranty, fulfilled by Amazon. It is the cheapest brand new mSata drive you can find, period.
If it fails, and they give you issues which RMA which is in a warehouse in US, you still have Amazon to back you up.