Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] RECADATA mSATA III MLC High Level Enterprise Class Solid State Drive SSD (256GB) $65.98

[OP]
May 2, 2017
88 posts
206 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] RECADATA mSATA III MLC High Level Enterprise Class Solid State Drive SSD (256GB) $65.98

Seems like a decent price for laptops that have a mini SSD slot?
Newegg has it for 166.
It also says "MLC High Level Enterprise Class", if that means anything,
Anyone know about this brand? Or if it is a good buy?
Last edited by Seanne on Aug 13th, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
116 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12682 posts
3100 upvotes
Montreal
All these gray market SSDs from Amazon are a crap shoot and there are a LOT of failures. This is mass-produced China junk using dumpster parts, "mystery NAND" and untraceable controller part numbers, and with mSATA, some of it has been sitting on the shelf for years gathering dust and toxic fumes.

If you want a mSATA, buy name brand.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12682 posts
3100 upvotes
Montreal
FatWallet wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 6:54 pm
No name, no thanks. Note that SSDs will be plummeting in costs in the coming months; Samsung is converting much of its hard drive production to SSD, for example.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-huge ... roduction/
Oh boy, even more volatile QLC is here... this junk is going to have us nostalgic for the reliability of planar TLC. :lol:
Jun 29, 2016
38 posts
20 upvotes
I RFD wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 8:45 pm
Good price, Prime only though.
When I posted it was ~63 and not prime. Now it is 59 with prime. Very good price though for a 240GB SSD.
However if you look in the list you find Aero Malls which is fulfilled by Amazon @63.99, no prime.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1770 posts
539 upvotes
TO
Meh, Amazon + no name brand + too good to be true price... Pass.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1391 posts
1476 upvotes
Good example but not in the same category. The one at the OP is an msata. Those are rare dogs, as they exist in older laptops, and are usually more expensive than the usual 2.5" inch type you provided. I know it cause I have an older msata laptop.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1702 posts
670 upvotes
I got a RECADATA mSATA and it is working fine for 2 years already.
Nov 15, 2017
50 posts
51 upvotes
Seems like Recadata markets there products for military, industrial and enterprise solutions. Found the like for this drive on there website. Its to bad that its mSata as its not a common form factor, however this seems like a decent price for a MLC drive. Also looks like it uses micron nand chips for what its worth.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29621 posts
1133 upvotes
Fernando Po
If it were M.2 2242 I'd consider it. Too late on the mSATA, already got a drive for that laptop.
Jul 15, 2009
142 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up doing a lot of research into SSDs when upgrading to an SSD cache array for my unRAID server. I ended up going with an unknown Chinese brand, and am very happy with the choice.

As long as the controller and the NAND chip are from reputable companies, do you really care who solders the board and assembles the case? There is a glut of high quality NAND chips in the market, and several sellers of high quality controllers that will work with a variety of NAND chips. The new era controller manufacturers provide standardized board designs that anyone can use for their controllers. So really, there is no need for expertise to manufacture SSDs anymore.