Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 18, 2007
292 posts
311 upvotes
Cambridge

[Amazon Canada] Reusable BBQ Grill Mat set of 2 - $4.35

I just stumbled on to this deal. I've never tried it but for less than $5 it's worth a try
34 replies
Oct 11, 2016
209 posts
103 upvotes
sahilz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 12:41 am
i will be hesitant to put a non metal directly on high heat ... in between my food. No thanks.
To be fair, non-metals like ceramic/porcelain do better on heat than metals, and often coat the cast iron grates on your bbq.

These are pretty handy at keeping the grill mess free, but I'm curious whether they had some sort of long term health tests.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1389 posts
455 upvotes
Markham
betercallsaul wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 1:01 am
To be fair, non-metals like ceramic/porcelain do better on heat than metals, and often coat the cast iron grates on your bbq.

These are pretty handy at keeping the grill mess free, but I'm curious whether they had some sort of long term health tests.
I have the same concern.
I would rather clean my BBQ than use these solutions for now.
-------
Thank you
Jun 13, 2005
150 posts
33 upvotes
new westminster, bc
Nothing wrong with a little asbestos cook mat friends.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2324 posts
445 upvotes
sahilz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 12:41 am
i will be hesitant to put a non metal directly on high heat ... in between my food. No thanks.
Poor ratings on Amazon. I wonder as per their description if it truly is FDA approved. I would stay away.
May 25, 2008
63 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
I purchased some tan colored ones from ebay and white ones a few years ago from Dollarama and they have worked well in my dehydrator. They are made of the same material as the toaster bags that they sell. It says it is a PTFE (teflon) coated fiberglass for the ones I have purchased. I have not tried them on the BBQ.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9237 posts
1860 upvotes
I have the ones from grillaholics on amazon, they work well, I only use them for skewers.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1481 posts
189 upvotes
I am hesitant about using "unknown' materials on my grill and exposing my food to it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9316 posts
3364 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
doubleA wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 12:32 pm
Has anyone tried Cookina brand? I’ve seen these quite a bit at Costco and the like.

https://cookina.co/products/cookina-barbecue/
Cookina brand has been around for a while now. I used to use one regularly for the oven (got it from HD when they were doing their annual seasonal clearance) and it works very well. I would be still using it if it wasn't for an accident with a knife which punched a hole causing it to leak.

The only issue I have with these mats in general are they aren't oil proof - ie some oil will 'filter' through the mat resulting in the need for a bit of clean up on the other side.