Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Salton RC1653 Automatic Rice Cooker $14.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 5:00 pm
Aug 4, 2010
363 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal, QC

[Amazon.ca] Salton RC1653 Automatic Rice Cooker $14.99

Hi everyone,
I was looking for an automatic rice cooker and I found this one. I don’t know the brand but reviews seem great and it’s on a decent discount.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 24th, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
37 replies
Aug 29, 2009
25 posts
53 upvotes
You should change ur name to ricebringer
Sep 26, 2016
49 posts
34 upvotes
I have this one at home. Used it a few times. It gets the job done. Make sure to cover a cloth around the cover or the boiling water from the pot will splatter through the loose lid.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2005
1325 posts
1288 upvotes
These are garbage. The lid isn't tempered glass.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1730 posts
5253 upvotes
Montreal
Never used it so can't claim if it's any good.
But depending on whether or not you eat rice often should justify if you should get a better unit.
Also nowadays people tend to buy instant pots, which can cook rice as well (I've never done this as I own a ricecooker).
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1040 posts
965 upvotes
GVRD
Get an Asian-style one with a latched lid. Zojirushi, Tiger, etc. are good brands.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
roastpuff wrote: Get an Asian-style one with a latched lid. Zojirushi, Tiger, etc. are good brands.
Not for $15.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1040 posts
965 upvotes
GVRD
brghunter wrote: Not for $15.
No, but a rice cooker is basically BIFL stuff. I'm using the one I bought for $70 when I moved out 8 years ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
It is fine for the price. But keep In mind it is only big enough to cook 2cups of uncooked rice comfortably.
Jan 26, 2013
63 posts
111 upvotes
Recoil wrote: These are garbage. The lid isn't tempered glass.
What is the advantage of tempered glass over regular glass in rice cookers? I didn't realize this was a thing.
Jul 2, 2014
491 posts
168 upvotes
Maple, ON
Good enough for rice. Works and gets the job done.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3158 posts
6406 upvotes
I am all for spending money on a better rice cooker, but at $15 this is literally cheaper than an average bag of rice.
Hard to deny that this is a good deal.
Dec 12, 2009
491 posts
391 upvotes
Salton RC1653 Automatic Rice Cooker, Stainless Steel

I thought it would be a good deal since it said stainless steel but there is nothing stainless steel about it. Can't trust the company that uses deceptive advertising practices.
Dec 7, 2016
270 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver
The bowl will lose its coating at the bottom and then once gone, will burn your rice. Not bad for 15 if you don't plan on using it a lot though.
Jun 10, 2017
797 posts
1452 upvotes
I actually cook my rice in a regular pot.
The key is make sure there is plenty of water.. Once it boils, gently scoop the excess water from the top and then close the lid and put it to low for 10 mins. Then shut off and wait another 20 mins and serve. This is a delicious way to make rice, albeit a very time consuming way.
Also be prepared for a thick crust at the bottom, where you scrape it up, add some seasoning and crunch away.. I'm salivating as I type this!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
GenericMember wrote: I actually cook my rice in a regular pot.
The key is make sure there is plenty of water.. Once it boils, gently scoop the excess water from the top and then close the lid and put it to low for 10 mins. Then shut off and wait another 20 mins and serve. This is a delicious way to make rice, albeit a very time consuming way.
The key is to know how much water you need to put in for the amount and type of rice you are cooking.
Jun 10, 2017
797 posts
1452 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: The key is to know how much water you need to put in for the amount and type of rice you are cooking.
If you can, then you're pro.. For me, I take the noob approach. Purposely put more water.. You'll be able to easily gauge approximately how much and just go over. By scooping the excess water, which I also drink, you make it perfect each time.
If you don't get it right without the scooping method, the rice either too hard or too soft.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
GenericMember wrote: If you can, then you're pro.. For me, I take the noob approach. Purposely put more water.. You'll be able to easily gauge approximately how much and just go over. By scooping the excess water, which I also drink, you make it perfect each time.
If you don't get it right without the scooping method, the rice either too hard or too soft.
Pro? In some countries, rice cookers are rare, and even the most basic rice they cook is better than the tasteless rice we pay to eat here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)