Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3759 posts
2614 upvotes
Slash5 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:34 pm
For scraping, pretty well every hardware store carries them:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.sing ... 02690.html
That's the kind I eventually bought. I was referring to the old standard double-edge razor blades that used to be available in every drugstore. And yes, I was aware that they were available to order online - just not available in local stores any more.
Feb 2, 2006
348 posts
102 upvotes
Frankdood wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:14 pm
Thanks for stopping by! Your contribution to the conversation has been truly enlightening.
Did your feelings get hurt?

In all seriousness, I really am looking for one of these to replace my Gillette razors.
Aug 9, 2013
61 posts
39 upvotes
Mississauga
Turge wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:04 pm
Thanks op. This is exactly the razor me and my toxic masculinity were looking for!
Sorry, I use Fusion on my toxic masculinity.

I prefer to spend 30 seconds in the shower for a quick shave with something that never cuts me.....then 10 minutes staring at my beauty in a mirror.
Apr 13, 2008
87 posts
102 upvotes
Bancroft
Sep 25, 2016
89 posts
20 upvotes
YuFengY80113 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:39 pm
This or a vintage Gillette like a Fatboy or Slim?
I was eyeballing the rockwell and realized that I would end up losing the extra parts. I found a NOS slim adjustable on ebay for about $60 and grabbed it. I use it pretty often and its great, gets rotated with a red tip and a merkur slant
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4554 posts
1331 upvotes
Canuckland
I don’t think this is $50 better than the Merkur
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12328 posts
2899 upvotes
Toronto
How is this razor better than the $50 Merkur HD Heavy Duty?

I'm a fan of double edged shaving but $105 for a razor is a lot of money.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3090 posts
742 upvotes
Mississauga
I gave DE razors a try for a while but I just ended up nicking myself more times than I cared. I don't know if the feather stainless blades I was using were too sharp or my technique just sucked (more likely the latter) but I just gave up after a while. I really wanted it to work as the blades are so cheap (after making the initial investment) but it wasn't to be.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2017
286 posts
267 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:14 am
I don’t think this is $50 better than the Merkur
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:17 am
How is this razor better than the $50 Merkur HD Heavy Duty?

I'm a fan of double edged shaving but $105 for a razor is a lot of money.
- This one is stainless steel vs chrome plated alloy (alloy being less durable). However, the alloy razor will also last a long time or parts can be replaced.
- Adjustable plates alloys for more/less blade exposure to the skin so it could effect the how quickly (efficiency) and closeness of the shave.
- Heft: This thing is likely a bit heavier than the chrome/alloy. It's known to be well balanced, which I think is nicer for "letting the razor" do the work. Personally, I would be less inclined to apply pressure to the razor while shaving.

Note that I haven't used one myself but I've been researching the various shaving forums and it's a very popular one.
My current DE89 works great already.
Mar 23, 2012
36 posts
29 upvotes
Brampton
For adjustable razors, which one is better?
Rockwell 6s or Merkur Futur?
I have been hesitating to buy the Futur because of its abnormally large head.
But I might go for this one.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2017
286 posts
267 upvotes
Tig wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:26 am
I gave DE razors a try for a while but I just ended up nicking myself more times than I cared. I don't know if the feather stainless blades I was using were too sharp or my technique just sucked (more likely the latter) but I just gave up after a while. I really wanted it to work as the blades are so cheap (after making the initial investment) but it wasn't to be.
I suggest a different brand of blades. I have been shaving for a year and I still can't use the feather blades - they're really sharp.
Going to a milder blade - find a sample pack maybe? - might help.

The biggest thing I'm still learning is trying not to apply pressure to the razor while shaving.
As soon as I do that, especially around the neck area, there's hell to pay.

Gotta admit, the whole wet shaving thing is not as quick as the old gel/cartridge shave.
However, it has been a nice routine and it does feel pretty meditative.
I actually enjoy shaving.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2003 posts
258 upvotes
Lazy Susan wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:25 pm
You just weren't looking hard enough. Amazon, eBay,

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/d ... -12-types/

https://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/sa ... r-samplers

https://www.razorbladesclub.com/

For arts and crafts and automotive and other non shaving things I would recommend these

https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-11-515-2- ... 000NNIIQM/?
For you, it must involve dexterity and art to shave down there.