Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Rockwell Stainless Steel Razor 6S - $104.45

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2019 5:40 pm
Dec 3, 2018
129 posts
67 upvotes
I know exactly what I said and what I meant. Anyways good if you like it.
Aug 1, 2010
786 posts
480 upvotes
ahsalloum wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 5:18 am
The amount of trolling, ignorance and misinformation in this thread...

This is regarded as one of the absolute best adjustable SS razors out there for versatility, ease of use and quality for the money. Another one that's a benchmark for bang for the buck is the Razorock Game Changer.

Razors like these are a very noticeable step up in quality from a mass produced razor for obvious reasons (more durable) but especially because most of them are mild razors, which for a lot of people don't necessarily offer the optimal shave.

There's way more to razors: material, weight, blade gap, aggressiveness, efficency, head designs (open/closed comb, slants, etc). Two razors can feel EXTREMELY differently. But this is one of the 6S's selling points - its adjust ability lets you discover your preferences.

OF COURSE there is a massive difference between this and a $10 razor; if you think otherwise you're clueless. $100 is not even premium price for a modern stainless steel razor.

Go look at the likes of Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland, Paradigm if you want to know what premium tier hardware is - these are $300-$1000+ razors and tons of people justify the money spent on them. But in wet shaving, price doesn't mean everything to a certain degree as everyone's mileage varies tremendously and premium hardware past a certain point don't necessarily mean better performance - some razors are expensive because of the labour involved in machining them in limited quantities and the quality of the craftsmanship. Wolfman razors start at $500 with a handle and literally sell out within minutes when available with zero announcement by Wolfman.

OP, I feel for you trying to share a deal and getting bombarded with downvotes and troll posts / thread crapping.

If you're looking into converting to safety razor shaving, do yourself a favour and go to places like Badger&Blade (they have a good forum with extremely helpful members, and great wiki for info) or watch a good guide on YouTube.
Agreed, most people are clueless and buy shitty cartridge razors
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4222 posts
642 upvotes
Edmonton
If your looking at a safety razor invest in trying different blades. They can make a huge difference between a good shave and a patchy one with cuts.

I have hairthatis super thick and the majority of razors cause irritation if I shave more then once every three days. I tried all sorts of techniques andproducts untileventually saying surewhy not a safety razor. The blade it came with did a horrible job. Next blade I tried even worse of a job. The final one I tried did an amazing job! The hardness seems to make a difference.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Aug 29, 2011
80 posts
21 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I’m sure it’s been said already but this is one of the best ss razors on the market. Will last multiple lifetimes and be the last razor you ever need. Did I mention blades are around 20 cents to 50 cents and last 4-8 shaves each. Shave like your grandpa and get this razor!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2007
3187 posts
272 upvotes
GVR
Hsharpreet wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:30 pm
I know exactly what I said and what I meant. Anyways good if you like it.
No, you really don’t. At all.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2635 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Max_Dealing wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:02 pm
If your looking at a safety razor invest in trying different blades. They can make a huge difference between a good shave and a patchy one with cuts.

I have hairthatis super thick and the majority of razors cause irritation if I shave more then once every three days. I tried all sorts of techniques andproducts untileventually saying surewhy not a safety razor. The blade it came with did a horrible job. Next blade I tried even worse of a job. The final one I tried did an amazing job! The hardness seems to make a difference.
The soap (or cream) you use also makes a difference. It's worth trying new ones until you find one or more you like. There are hard soaps (best used with a stiffer brush, so boar hair or stiff synthetic) and soft (best with a soft brush, so badger hair or soft synthetic). ( <-- Just easier to get a good foam quickly; can use either brush with either soap.) Lately I'm using Mitchel's Wool Fat and find it very good. RazoRock and Omego both make good cream soaps, and IIRC there was a hard soap by RazoRock I really liked (some time ago - it takes a long time to finish a soap).
I also recall trying a few Col. Conk soaps because they're so cheap. To me they smelled awful, and the foam was thin and dried too fast.
Last edited by OakAged on Feb 13th, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2635 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mixxfixx wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:19 pm
I’m sure it’s been said already but this is one of the best ss razors on the market. Will last multiple lifetimes and be the last razor you ever need. Did I mention blades are around 20 cents to 50 cents and last 4-8 shaves each. Shave like your grandpa and get this razor!
I usually change blades when I notice that it's starting to pull a bit. I never count but I'm sure I get a dozen or more shaves per blade. I bought a bunch of blades and soaps years ago thinking it might last a year, possibly two. I think that was about five years ago now. Definitely the most economical way to get a good shave, even counting the nice Edwin Jagger razor I bought direct.
Mar 8, 2010
152 posts
144 upvotes
Calgary
nafizu wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:42 am
For adjustable razors, which one is better?
Rockwell 6s or Merkur Futur?
I have been hesitating to buy the Futur because of its abnormally large head.
But I might go for this one.
Merkur Futur is a unique beast. It does work very well. However it takes a while to get use to the head size and manoeuvring under your nose.
It's brother in arms in the Merkur Progress which is easier to operate.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2017
286 posts
267 upvotes
OakAged wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 4:58 pm
The soap (or cream) you use also makes a difference. It's worth trying new ones until you find one or more you like. There are hard soaps (best used with a stiffer brush, so boar hair or stiff synthetic) and soft (best with a soft brush, so badger hair or soft synthetic). ( <-- Just easier to get a good foam quickly; can use either brush with either soap.) Lately I'm using Mitchel's Wool Fat and find it very good. RazoRock and Omego both make good cream soaps, and IIRC there was a hard soap by RazoRock I really liked (some time ago - it takes a long time to finish a soap).
I also recall trying a few Col. Conk soaps because they're so cheap. To me they smelled awful, and the foam was thin and dried too fast.
While not the cheapest options out there, I've really like Stirling and B&M hard soaps. The lather and slickness of the razor using these soaps are amazing. They lather very easily and really perform well - Not trying to shill these products but these are the ones I've tried.

However, there is a useful survey that I like to take a glance at if I'm thinking about getting another soap. Gives a good indication of how a larger sample of shavers feel about different soaps.
OakAged wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:03 pm
I usually change blades when I notice that it's starting to pull a bit. I never count but I'm sure I get a dozen or more shaves per blade. I bought a bunch of blades and soaps years ago thinking it might last a year, possibly two. I think that was about five years ago now. Definitely the most economical way to get a good shave, even counting the nice Edwin Jagger razor I bought direct.
My experience with shaves per blade has been the same. Sometimes I shave every 2-3 days so it varies. I just change when I don't feel the blade cuts well with just the weight of the razor or if 3 passes doesn't quite result in a nice clean shave.

Lol - wetshaving being 'economical' is debatable IMO. When it comes to niche, borderline hobby related items, you get "artisans" and "custom made" and "luxury" items being available, which are rarely cheap. Response to this thread is an example and shows that the cartridge way is still king, even if per blade is expensive. The time and effort it takes might also not be considered worthwhile.

However, If you're able to avoid the urge to buy the fancy stuff, then yes, it can be pretty cheap.
Dec 11, 2009
151 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond
Ha ha trying to save money by double edge shaving is like trying to save money by tying your own flies! 🤪
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2007
3187 posts
272 upvotes
GVR
Jimmydeals wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:52 pm
While not the cheapest options out there, I've really like Stirling and B&M hard soaps. The lather and slickness of the razor using these soaps are amazing. They lather very easily and really perform well - Not trying to shill these products but these are the ones I've tried.

However, there is a useful survey that I like to take a glance at if I'm thinking about getting another soap. Gives a good indication of how a larger sample of shavers feel about different soaps.

My experience with shaves per blade has been the same. Sometimes I shave every 2-3 days so it varies. I just change when I don't feel the blade cuts well with just the weight of the razor or if 3 passes doesn't quite result in a nice clean shave.

Lol - wetshaving being 'economical' is debatable IMO. When it comes to niche, borderline hobby related items, you get "artisans" and "custom made" and "luxury" items being available, which are rarely cheap. Response to this thread is an example and shows that the cartridge way is still king, even if per blade is expensive. The time and effort it takes might also not be considered worthwhile.

However, If you're able to avoid the urge to buy the fancy stuff, then yes, it can be pretty cheap.
I like Stirling a lot and consider them the best bang for your buck artisan soap but my top 3 for performance are:

1) Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk base
2) B&M both bases
3) Declaration Grooming Bison (I rate it slightly better than Icarus)

That being said I’ve had fantastic shaves from lots of other artisans too (A&E, T+S, Stirling, HeV, etc). And also from mass produced stuff like D R Harris (probably my favourite triple milled hard soaps), premium products like AdP, Castle Forbes and XPEC. But if I’m going purely by slickness, cushion and post shave feel, barely anything beats these 3 for me.

To be honest even something like Proraso or TOBS will vastly outclass shaving foam. The only somewhat respectable shaving product in Canadian grocery stores is the Nivea shaving cream. Everything else is pretty poor.

A lot of people try and use safety razors with shaving foam - if I’m honest I think you need to step up to a decent cream/soap before you pass final judgment.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2635 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto, ON
derekmcl wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 6:10 pm
Ha ha trying to save money by double edge shaving is like trying to save money by tying your own flies! 🤪
??? There's no "trying" involved in simply using a product that has lower-cost consumables. And If you find swapping a blade as much work as tying a fly, you've got bigger problems than shaving costs. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1117 posts
211 upvotes
Halifax
targa88 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:36 pm
Merkur Futur is a unique beast. It does work very well. However it takes a while to get use to the head size and manoeuvring under your nose.
It's brother in arms in the Merkur Progress which is easier to operate.
The Future is a good razer, just not for a beginner, it's also quite big and hard to get under the nose. Haven't used the Rockwell, but seems like a cool idea. If you're interested in shaving and appreciate well made things, a SS razer is a good investment. I've owned multiple DE Razer's and the Wolfman is by far the best purchase of the bunch. Hand crafted and something I can pass down to my son.