Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD 1TB $150.99 (went back to $170), 512GB $91.99, 256GB $54.99 NO TAX

Nov 7, 2007
402 posts
64 upvotes
Hi Everyone. I need to replace my current Micron M.2 2200S 256GB with a 1TB. Light gaming and mostly office work. Anyone have an opinion what what we could expect to pay on BF and which drive to look for (eg. TLC vs QLC, Brand, etc.).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3806 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
rgilld wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 11:55 am
Hi Everyone. I need to replace my current Micron M.2 2200S 256GB with a 1TB. Light gaming and mostly office work. Anyone have an opinion what what we could expect to pay on BF and which drive to look for (eg. TLC vs QLC, Brand, etc.).
Can't comment on future prices since it's a crapshoot.

In terms of budget to mid-range NVMe drives (I'm classifying by cost, not performance) there are basically 3 common drives.

The cheapest of the 3 are based on the Silicon Motion SM2263 which is what can be found in the Intel 660p and the Crucial P1. These are QLC drives, they perform the most poorly but are also basically SATA priced. They will absolutely clock a SATA drive in anything but sustained writes, which they basically hit HDD speeds at their worst, most people will probably never witness this on a consistent basis unless they keep the drive relatively full.

The next two options are going to be closer in price, the Silicon Motion SM226EN and the Phison E12. The SM226EN is found in the Adata SX8200 Pro and Gammix S11 Pro. In many ways, the SM2262EN performs like a faster version of the SM2263. A lot of that is likely because the of TLC but the controller also allows for twice the bandwidth. These drives have really nice top speeds, can basically compete with anything on the market there. They do suffer from the same phenomenon as the SM2263s where they get slow at the end of sustained writes, this time to around SATA SSD speeds so still decent enough. Same general advise is not to fill it too much and you'll probably never notice it.

The Phison E12 is commonly found in the Corsair MP510, Silicon Power P34A80, Patriot Viper VPN100, this Sabrent drive and a few others. It is also TLC NAND. The E12 doesn't have the same peak speeds (it's close though) but they also never drop below 1GB/s in sustained writes, which is almost double SATA. The controller on the Phison is more powerful than the Adata so it manages to come close in performance without making the aggressive choices the SM226EN makes, which are what lead to the performance drops in certain cases. Performance curves of these won't quite match a Samsung or WD but they are usually close behind, much cheaper though.

Other drives you may see pop up are the older Adata SX8200 and Gammix S11, Intel 760p as well. Those are based on the older SM2262 which is basically the same controller as the SM2262EN but tuned way less aggressively. It won't match the newer model in peak speed but it also basically never dips below 1GB/s. The E12 is faster though so get that unless the older drives are cheaper. Of course the WD Black and Samsung 970 Evo are better drives but unless the prices drop a lot or you need the performance, I don't think they're worth the extra money. You may also see a WD Blue SN500 NVMe in lower capacities. It's not the best performer but at it's best it'll be similar to a 660p and at it's worst it should easily beat one since it is still TLC. If it's cheap, its a solid drive but it's usually priced about against the E12 and SM2262EN so it's not worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3806 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
chingwu wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:35 pm
deal is dead?
Nope, you gotta click the coupon on the page.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23974 posts
9510 upvotes
Aww. It's limit 1 coupon per size.

Oh well. Bought a pair of 256GB for RAID0 purposes.
I hate you OP.
Nov 7, 2007
402 posts
64 upvotes
Wow thanks Jep444. Excellent post. I'm going to bookmark it. I'm sure this will help a lot of people choose the right drive as BF approached.
Aug 19, 2018
38 posts
8 upvotes
Seems like the 1TB Coupon is gone. =/ After I added one to my cart and was going to pay.. =/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3806 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
makaheehee wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:17 pm
Seems like the 1TB Coupon is gone. =/ After I added one to my cart and was going to pay.. =/
Thanks for the heads up, I'll update the headline.
Sep 22, 2019
70 posts
75 upvotes
Would you guys think this is better or the GAMMIX one? The are around the same price.