Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samix r95 2gb ram Android box $49.99 - $5 coupon.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 10:19 am
Tags:
None
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:34 pm
If you have never tried a mibox (xiaomi), you will never understand that this is not a question of hardware but of software. Mibox runs everything i want it to, updates properly and the software is a pleasure to work with.
I think everyone does understand that, but it currently costs $130, which is a different ballpark than these < $50 boxes, even though the performance specs are similar and Xiaomi cheaped out by only including 8 Gbytes of storage and not including an ethernet port.

It means you have a bit more of a struggle fixing bugs and bypassing stuff that just doesn't work with the poorly-tested and unsupported cheap boxes, but once you get the apps you want working, it works well enough. And a bunch of money stays in your pocket that you can use to upgrade next time.
Dec 28, 2006
689 posts
319 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:51 pm
I received it from Amazon this morning after ordering last night, so that was quick. Seems exactly as expected.

- Software load is Android 6.01 + apps from August 2016, unchanged from the original release, including of course a lot of apps and plugins that no longer work, so cleanup is required.

- 2.4 GHz WiFi is awful, barely functional, just like my last Android media player. It doesn't seem to depend on proximity to the router, so likely a defective implementation affecting all the boxes using the same chipset (upload runs at twice the speed of download!)
If you have a router or wifi extender sitting around, it is best to connect to one. Without one, I have improved my android box wifi significantly with just getting a 6 inch wire soldered to the internal antenna going through a hole drilled on the casing.
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
Keny wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 4:47 pm
If you have a router or wifi extender sitting around, it is best to connect to one. Without one, I have improved my android box wifi significantly with just getting a 6 inch wire soldered to the internal antenna going through a hole drilled on the casing.
Good to know, thanks. I normally use powerline or coax ethernet anyway to avoid WiFi interference, but that would be worth trying. I actually have a high-gain external WiFi antenna that connects to a standard threaded antenna socket. I wonder if I could adapt that. I don't know where I could get one of those threaded sockets to install in the case - maybe an old router due to be discarded.

But I honestly wonder if improving the signal it would help the WiFi throughput. The fact that throughput doesn't improve close to the router, and that the upload speed is double the download speed, suggests that there's an implementation bug causing a bottleneck rather than just a poor antenna. FWIW, my previous Android media player with Amlogic 805 chip behaves exactly the same, while my Roku 2 box and Chromecast v1 at the same location stream 1080p without problems on 2.4 GHz WiFi from the same router. And they both have even smaller internal antennas.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7143 posts
978 upvotes
Winnipeg
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:51 pm
I received it from Amazon this morning after ordering last night, so that was quick. Seems exactly as expected.

- Software load is Android 6.01 + apps from August 2016, unchanged from the original release, including of course a lot of apps and plugins that no longer work, so cleanup is required.

- 2.4 GHz WiFi is awful, barely functional, just like my last Android media player. It doesn't seem to depend on proximity to the router, so likely a defective implementation affecting all the boxes using the same chipset (upload runs at twice the speed of download!)
The problem was mostly the android sdk support. Not an issue with fireos but things were substantially improved with nougat you got proper wifi drivers. The firestick and mibox will do with ac +200 mbps if your router is stable and capable of it. The biggest problem is alot of stock router/modems just don't do wifi well at all. Lots of fast disconnect /reconnects and wifi drop outs.

But any androidbox with no quality control=broken uboots,horrid remotes,poor cooling, improper placement of internal wifi,no shielding, sub par psu and basically asop android with apps...yeah they can be just dam junk.
Apr 8, 2015
376 posts
334 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:55 pm
I think everyone does understand that, but it currently costs $130, which is a different ballpark than these < $50 boxes, even though the performance specs are similar and Xiaomi cheaped out by only including 8 Gbytes of storage and not including an ethernet port.

It means you have a bit more of a struggle fixing bugs and bypassing stuff that just doesn't work with the poorly-tested and unsupported cheap boxes, but once you get the apps you want working, it works well enough. And a bunch of money stays in your pocket that you can use to upgrade next time.
Still 70$ on walmart.com. Canadian sites more expensive for now, yes. For the casual user on a budget, mibox is the way to go. If you want buggy, laggy, freezing boxes with limited support or updates then these china android boxes are for you. Mind you that with mibox, you can also get away without really need a keyboard as the box accepts voice commands so you save some extra cash there too..
Jul 7, 2016
678 posts
368 upvotes
I just received this box yesterday took less than a week to receive now at 60 with taxes but i paid 50 with taxes from amazon 3gbddr4 32gb rom.
its really good so far only 1 hour use on it. and id recommend it if you are looking for one. from the seller weiputek was shipped directly from amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0773F ... UTF8&psc=1
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
waven101 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:22 am
I just received this box yesterday took less than a week to receive
That's pretty good - was it "Fulfilled by Amazon" at the time? (none in stock any more)

If you just want to use your box as an Android media player, then there's no real benefit at the moment to > 2 Gbytes of RAM or > 8 Gbytes storage or a chip with more cores like the S912. You might as well save your money if you can find a deal on a lesser box.

On the operating system it's hard to say. On the one hand it's always best to get the latest version of Android to give the box as much lifespan as possible. On the other hand if it's a hacked-together version that was not supported by the chipset manufacturer, it may be more problematic that it's worth. The Amlogic S905/S905X and S912 were released with an Android 6 dev kit that hasn't been updated. The S905W has an Android 7.1 dev kit. There have been a few updates to Android 7.1 for the S905/S905X/S912, but it's a little scary to read what's actually going on behind the scenes with core Linux modules to make that possible.
Jul 7, 2016
678 posts
368 upvotes
yes it is still fulfllled with amazon even if u select weiputek as seller and android 7.1 official update is really easy to install from a flash drive.
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:18 am
If you want buggy, laggy, freezing boxes with limited support or updates then these china android boxes are for you.
It's not quite that bad - that's why you buy from Amazon.ca, so you can test it thoroughly and return it if there's an issue. My last box also cost less than $50, and it's been serving me well for 2 years after working through the initial setup issues.

But to give you an idea just how poorly supported these boxes are, consider this: This Sammix box, like almost every other Chinese Android media player, ships with Media Box as its launcher. In Media Box is the function "Check for Updates OTA" (OTA = Over The Air). The function is totally unexplained in their documentation, but everybody tries it unsuccessfully. The function checks a common internet web site where manufacturers can post updates to their ROMs. Needless to say, none of the cheap Chinese manufacturers ever do post an update, so the function always returns an error message. The error message is cryptic and comically misspelled. Or so it was 2 years ago when I got my last box. Nothing has changed in 2 years - the function is still there in the new box with a new version of Media Box, still returns the same comically-misspelled error message. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1470 posts
216 upvotes
if u can afford it, get the 200$ nvdia shield! have the h96+ pro plus got it for 98$ off amazon prime 2 day shipping,,it keeps freezin on me and im on the latest firmware and os 7.1.2 android, when it heats up it freezes(stress it out with 4k vidz)! and i already have it on top of a laptop fan!
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
waven101 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:35 am
yes it is still fulfllled with amazon even if u select weiputek as seller and android 7.1 official update is really easy to install from a flash drive.
If those words "Fulfilled by Amazon" appear explicitly (and also the "Prime" logo), it means that Amazon is holding it in a Canadian warehouse, and they will ship it to you from there with no taxes or customs fees, and a full guarantee of satisfaction by Amazon. Your Vorke box currently ships from China, with a projected arrival date in mid-January, no guarantee that it will slip through without being charged the required extra taxes and customs fees, and no guarantee that you can return it if not satisfied. Amazon is just acting as the payment processor through the Amazon Marketplace. Personally I wouldn't take that chance for an Android media player, but you can save $10-$20 in most cases if you're willing to gamble and order direct from the Chinese supplier.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1077 posts
442 upvotes
Hamilton
My friend have an Android box, A clone Mecool MS8 Pro (IIRC) S912 with 3GB DDR4 memory. It's quite fast for the job, streaming tv and some games for kids, but the remote does not have some features for iptv (special buttons for favs, sort, pause, play, ffwd, etc). If you are looking for a box for streaming media, I'd go with a pure stream tv box/STB instead of an Android box that runs an STB emulator. It's versatile though if you can live with a generic remote or can figure out how to remap key codes for special buttons.
Jul 7, 2016
678 posts
368 upvotes
[quote=Exp315 post_id=28595774 time=1512485331 user_id=1395321]
If those words "Fulfilled by Amazon" appear explicitly (and also the "Prime" logo), it means that Amazon is holding it in a Canadian warehouse, and they will ship it to you from there with no taxes or customs fees, and a full guarantee of satisfaction by Amazon. Your Vorke box currently ships from China, with a projected arrival date in mid-January, no guarantee that it will slip through without being charged the required extra taxes and customs fees, and no guarantee that you can return it if not satisfied. Amazon is just acting as the payment processor through the Amazon Marketplace. Personally I wouldn't take that chance for an Android media player, but you can save $10-$20 in most cases if you're willing to gamble and order direct from the Chinese supplier.
[/quote]
what I'm saying is that I received the box 5 days after ordering (weekend) from amazon by selecting weiputek even if it wasn't saying fulfilled by amazon and I received the tracking number 1 day after ordering and it was Purolator. also if you see the ratings And reviews from weiputek looks like all of their items were sent by amazon usually shipped from china there is something different such as long wait times complaint and such. I'm in new Brunswick it was quick shipping
Last edited by waven101 on Dec 5th, 2017 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2578 posts
381 upvotes
Ajax
waven101 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:35 am
And how do you do that? Thanks