Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 - $79.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 8:35 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1583 posts
1025 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 2:19 pm
Well, the Li-on battery will not miraculously stay at 100% for hours on end and if it's left on the charger, then it just constantly charges the device back to 100%.

I have not seen a device that will hold 100% charge forever, especially devices that are left on.

Even a 0.01% drop will make the charger push current to get back to 100%, correct?
Not sure what you are exactly charging, but I am assuming batteries.

For the life of the battery, you don't want it to stay at an exact 100% over a long period of time ... Once you go Panasonic Eneloop batteries and charger, you'll never go back to anything else ... their batteries hold a charge for an incredibly long period of time (measured in years) and their chargers are intelligent enough that I often leave batteries in them for weeks without worries.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48683 posts
14293 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 2:40 pm
Not sure what you are exactly charging, but I am assuming batteries.

For the life of the battery, you don't want it to stay at an exact 100% over a long period of time ... Once you go Panasonic Eneloop batteries and charger, you'll never go back to anything else ... their batteries hold a charge for an incredibly long period of time (measured in years) and their chargers are intelligent enough that I often leave batteries in them for weeks without worries.
Phones, tablets, Roomba vac, Dyson vac, etc. I usually set my Belkin timer 3 or 6 hours depending on charge level left for phones and tablets. For Roomba, I can tell that it's still charging if the draw is around 25 watts (even when app says the vac is charged 100%) and for Dyson, max of 2.5 hour on a Wemo smart plug.

I do have the Eneloops and individual charging chargers and yes, I do like them a lot. Alkaline are too wasteful and expensive in North America.
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1089 posts
141 upvotes
I have the ST hub and it works ok but most things run through the cloud so looking at a local solution for which there are options. Any one here use Home Assistant? Doesn’t seem too hard and there is an active community but need to buy a server like the RaspberryPi to install the software to make it work.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8537 posts
1630 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Properly designed lithium ion charger have load sharing, when power is connected, the battery is disconnected from the load.
It will be charged using constant current (to about 70%) then constant voltage and once full, it completly stops (there's no float/trickle charging, there's no harm to leave it connected)
Lithium cells also have protection circuit, if the voltage is too high or low (or short circuit), it will be cut-off.

One could prolong battery life by not fully charging to higher voltages (4V+) and stop after 70-85%, unless it's already being done (aka charge and run)

You can read about it here
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... _batteries
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1180 posts
142 upvotes
Waterloo
Gee wrote:
I am not a fan of SmartThings and I actually use a Raspberry Pi as an automation hub running Home Assistant and it integrates with the Envisalink natively.
I have also recently switched from OpenHAB (used for 2 years) to Home Assistant. Both good but HA is great, works with my envisalink and blurs the line between my systems well.

Thinking of getting a smart things hub just to run zwave and zigbee. I have a wink 1 hub to do that now but relying on the Internet isn’t desirable. Being all a local like smart things with an Mqtt broker would be better.

Hmm.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8537 posts
1630 upvotes
Montreal, QC
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:22 pm
^ Thanks but what happens when 100% drops to 99.5%? The charger is smart enough to stay shut?
Charger would resume charging if the voltage drops low enough (eg 4V, typically 80-90% SoC), which shouldn't happen since it's plugged in and not connected to the load.
The percentage dropping is a result of the voltage settling after a full charge and is normal.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48683 posts
14293 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:34 pm
Charger would resume charging if the voltage drops low enough (eg 4V, typically 80-90% SoC), which shouldn't happen since it's plugged in and not connected to the load.
The percentage dropping is a result of the voltage settling after a full charge and is normal.
And this doesn't matter whether the phone/tablet is in use and plugged in?
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1366 posts
110 upvotes
Does someone want to recommend a place to get the Xiaomi sensors? Also I see there is Aqara ones and non Aqara ones, not sure which ones to get

Thanks in Advance
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25740 posts
11913 upvotes
Ottawa
mrwinky wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 4:15 pm
Does someone want to recommend a place to get the Xiaomi sensors? Also I see there is Aqara ones and non Aqara ones, not sure which ones to get

Thanks in Advance
I have the original (non aqara) and ordered from Gear Best and Light In The Box
Jun 1, 2011
460 posts
71 upvotes
Ajax
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 4:19 pm
I have the original (non aqara) and ordered from Gear Best and Light In The Box
Looking at the prices on gear best, it's better to order the original smartthings sensors from Lowe's at 19.99 a piece. If you order is $50.00, you can add the $10.00 of coupon.
the cheapest xiaomi sensors I saw on GB is $20.00 CAD, am I missing something? Did you guys pay way less for these?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25740 posts
11913 upvotes
Ottawa
vinmatrix wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 4:23 pm
Looking at the prices on gear best, it's better to order the original smartthings sensors from Lowe's at 19.99 a piece. If you order is $50.00, you can add the $10.00 of coupon.
the cheapest xiaomi sensors I saw on GB is $20.00 CAD, am I missing something? Did you guys pay way less for these?
IIRC, I paid USD $10-14 max each sensor.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
1223 posts
280 upvotes
Would anyone want to recommend a way to connect Nest thermostat with ST hub?
Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3684 posts
2545 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:22 pm
^ Thanks but what happens when 100% drops to 99.5%? The charger is smart enough to stay shut?
The problem is that it's very difficult to judge the charge state of lithium-ion batteries by the voltage, as they don't have the same type of slow linear voltage drop as other battery types. They tend to stay very close to full voltage until they are almost out, then drop rapidly. Smart devices like laptop computers combine both voltage and measurement of charge used to judge the remaining capacity of the battery, and the measurement is adaptive over time to allow for slowly reducing capacity. So for example if the battery lasted 3 hours last time, and you've been using it at the same rate for 2 hours since it was last fully charged, the battery will be reported as having 1 hour left. If the voltage suddenly starts to drop, that will be rapidly revised to show you something like "5% remaining, shut down now!". Lithium-ion batteries don't like being left fully charged, or being charged continuously, so most smart charging circuits kick in when the charge has dropped to 90%. That way they aren't charging all the time, and the charge is usually somewhere between 90-100%.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30109 posts
4796 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
juched wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:33 pm
Thinking of getting a smart things hub just to run zwave and zigbee. I have a wink 1 hub to do that now but relying on the Internet isn’t desirable. Being all a local like smart things with an Mqtt broker would be better.
100% local is my goal. No cloud, no WiFi

I am completely Z-Wave. Only WiFi I have is the doorbell and it is connected to an NVR. Security cameras are TVI (Analogue). Thermostat, switches, garage are all Z-Wave

If you just want Z-Wave and Zigbee, you can get a USB dongle to give you both antennas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ ... uage=en_US