Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 - $79.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 8:35 pm
Jun 3, 2016
151 posts
42 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:27 pm
Its a wemo smart plug. I've connected it to the receptacle under my fireplace and use it to energize the coil of a relay and close the contacts for the gas valve. Works perfect.
I assume you have an auto shutoff as a safety precaution? I have a 5v relay that works independently through alexa and the switch works as well, I will be installing a Sonoff SV to get the 3-way functionality.
With time, everything will go on sale...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3089 posts
738 upvotes
Mississauga
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:27 pm
Its a wemo smart plug. I've connected it to the receptacle under my fireplace and use it to energize the coil of a relay and close the contacts for the gas valve. Works perfect.
some people argue against automating a fireplace as it may give the home insurer cause to not pay out if there is a fire. I have never verified this personally, but thought it would be worth mentioning.
Sep 13, 2015
656 posts
557 upvotes
Alberta
Jaegerjaque wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:40 pm
I assume you have an auto shutoff as a safety precaution? I have a 5v relay that works independently through alexa and the switch works as well, I will be installing a Sonoff SV to get the 3-way functionality.
Correct. I've set the wemo device to automatically turn off after 20 minutes. I may increase that to 30 minutes. It works, and does shut off the fireplace every time, regardless of how it was turned on (google home, wemo app, google assistant, etc)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3089 posts
738 upvotes
Mississauga
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:31 pm
I'm new to smartthings. how do I add tp-link kasa, nest, august to this hub? I see they are not officially supported, but are there workarounds? are they worth the hassle to setup and maintain unofficially?
first you have to find the SmartApp and/or Device Handlers (from GitHub) that will integrate the device that is not natively supported by ST (i.e. Kasa, Nest, August, etc.)

When you have the code, you implement it into Smartthings via the following steps.

1. Login at http://graph.api.smartthings.com 841
2. Go to “My SmartApps” or “My DeviceTypes” and click on the “+ New SmartApp” or " + New SmartDevice" button on the right.
3. On the “New SmartApp” or “New SmartDevice” page, Select the Tab “From Code” , Copy the xxxxx source code from GitHub and paste it into the IDE editor window.
4. Click the “Create” button at the bottom.
5. Click the blue “Save” button above the editor window.
6. Click the “Publish” button next to it and select “For Me”. You have now self-published your SmartApp or SmartDevice.
7. Open SmartThings mobile app (classic) and go to the Marketplace.
8. Click on My Apps and scroll down until you see the App you just published. If it's not there, you may have missed a step
Sep 13, 2015
656 posts
557 upvotes
Alberta
Many thanks @Tig! I will test this out at home when i get some time on my days off. It sounds like I need an older version of the app? Are there any downsides from this method of 3rd party integration?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3089 posts
738 upvotes
Mississauga
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 3:10 pm
Many thanks @Tig! I will test this out at home when i get some time on my days off. It sounds like I need an older version of the app? Are there any downsides from this method of 3rd party integration?
no worries mate. I believe that this should be the classic app (for android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_CA

The only downside (imo) is that it may take you down a long and sometimes frustrating path into the world of home automation. There's a learning curve there, but once you get over it, you begin to understand the full potential of home automation...which then takes you into incorporating sensors and other triggers (heck I even have a sensor in my dogs food container which sends a notification if it hasn't been opened daily by a certain time, meaning that the dog's bowl needs refilling). But it can also be frustrating because all of this 3rd party code can at times be unstable/buggy, which means getting your hands dirty and doing some troubleshooting. But when you have the whole system stable and well automated, it can be rewarding. If you're a touch OCD (like me), you could be primed to try to automate everything you can think of even if it's total overkill.
Feb 15, 2009
892 posts
177 upvotes
Winnipeg
If there are any Wink hub owners ditching them after purchasing this. Let me know. I'm in Winnipeg.
Sep 13, 2015
656 posts
557 upvotes
Alberta
Tig wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 3:20 pm
no worries mate. I believe that this should be the classic app (for android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_CA

The only downside (imo) is that it may take you down a long and sometimes frustrating path into the world of home automation. There's a learning curve there, but once you get over it, you begin to understand the full potential of home automation...which then takes you into incorporating sensors and other triggers (heck I even have a sensor in my dogs food container which sends a notification if it hasn't been opened daily by a certain time, meaning that the dog's bowl needs refilling). But it can also be frustrating because all of this 3rd party code can at times be unstable/buggy, which means getting your hands dirty and doing some troubleshooting. But when you have the whole system stable and well automated, it can be rewarding. If you're a touch OCD (like me), you could be primed to try to automate everything you can think of even if it's total overkill.
Thanks again. I am also very OCD and far from new to home automation. I have over 50 hue lights and have been using them since launch, nest thermostats/smoke detectors/cameras since the first generation, August locks and doorbell, water sensors, lights switches and plugs, harmony, and on and on... Bringing them all together with more options for control is very appealing now and I will do my research. Thanks for the starting steps...
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11712 posts
3755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:09 pm
Thanks again. I am also very OCD and far from new to home automation. I have over 50 hue lights and have been using them since launch, nest thermostats/smoke detectors/cameras since the first generation, August locks and doorbell, water sensors, lights switches and plugs, harmony, and on and on... Bringing them all together with more options for control is very appealing now and I will do my research. Thanks for the starting steps...
I'm surprised you've gone that far into getting devices for home automation without having the hub to bring everything together. You'll definitely find a new world of opportunities and possibilities that the ST hub brings you to have all your devices work together under one system.
Sep 13, 2015
656 posts
557 upvotes
Alberta
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:26 pm
I'm surprised you've gone that far into getting devices for home automation without having the hub to bring everything together. You'll definitely find a new world of opportunities and possibilities that the ST hub brings you to have all your devices work together under one system.
Until now, everything has been working fine. Google home did merge all my controls using voice and google home app. I only had the need to get the ST hub to add my wemo plug to the dedicated home control buttons on the harmony elite. But now that I have it, I will explore what other possibilities it has to offer...
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11712 posts
3755 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:30 pm
Until now, everything has been working fine. Google home did merge all my controls using voice and google home app. I only had the need to get the ST hub to add my wemo plug to the dedicated home control buttons on the harmony elite. But now that I have it, I will explore what other possibilities it has to offer...
Yes, it's one thing to have the ability to control all your devices from one app or by voice, but incorporating the ST hub takes your HA to the next level in that you can start controlling devices using the status or changes to other devices as triggers... (For example, in your case, you can have lights automatically switch on if someone rights the doorbell or if the doorbell detects motion at the door, or if you turn on the TV using Harmony, it automatically dims the lights in the room, or if your smoke detector detects smoke, turn all your hue lights to red and flash them, etc.)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1583 posts
209 upvotes
Alberta
Got my package from Lowes today.
The security seals on the boxes were cut on both the Hub and the sensor I bought (2 separate packages).
Factory resetted and works fine, but wondering if I should raise a stink. The peel off plastic on the hub had scuff marks.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4024 posts
699 upvotes
Wat
Chingyul wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 10:05 pm
The security seals on the boxes were cut on both the Hub and the sensor I bought (2 separate packages).
Factory resetted and works fine, but wondering if I should raise a stink. The peel off plastic on the hub had scuff marks.
Funny you mentioned this.. I received an item from Lowes which looks like a used return. Not ST hub but light fixture. They're getting sloppy.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1583 posts
1025 upvotes
Chingyul wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 10:05 pm
This could become its own thread ... I dismissed it, but when I got my ST hub delivered from Lowes, I was convinced that several of the seals were "tampered" with, but because all 4 tape seals weren't broken I didn't pay it any further attention.
Are the ST hub boxes sealed on all 4 sides normally, or did I also get a possible return?

Either way, it worked fine and that's all I cared about ...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1583 posts
209 upvotes
Alberta
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 10:21 pm
This could become its own thread ... I dismissed it, but when I got my ST hub delivered from Lowes, I was convinced that several of the seals were "tampered" with, but because all 4 tape seals weren't broken I didn't pay it any further attention.
Are the ST hub boxes sealed on all 4 sides normally, or did I also get a possible return?

Either way, it worked fine and that's all I cared about ...
Yeah, tape on all 4 sides.