Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Samsung Smartthings Sale ( Multi Purpose Sensor $20.99) + other accessories at Amazon,BestBuy,HomeDepot,Staples,Source

Jan 11, 2016
264 posts
109 upvotes
Peterborough
FrancisBacon wrote: They all work great for me with no workarounds needed.
Would it be able to work the opposite or do you think the quality isn't up for that sort of thing.
In other words submerging it in water 24/7/365 and if the water level goes below the device it will alert me.
I'm thinking of putting it in a cistern or holding tank
Jan 22, 2019
435 posts
459 upvotes
I'm debating on ditching Wink for SmartThings. What's the benefits of SmartThings over Wink Hub?
Dec 5, 2010
155 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
ratatapa wrote: Otherquestions if you are aware

Is the watersensor good to put in a sump pump pit to receive a notification if it gets fully submerged?
is the motion sensor sensible enough to react if my cat moves near?
The multipurpose sensor can be use a a motion sensor no?
I think I have seen on the SmartThings forums people use the multi sensor and attach it to the pump itself. That way you get notified when the pump runs. I don't believe I have seen someone use the water sensor in the pit.
Jan 11, 2016
264 posts
109 upvotes
Peterborough
tonydiec wrote: I think I have seen on the SmartThings forums people use the multi sensor and attach it to the pump itself. That way you get notified when the pump runs. I don't believe I have seen someone use the water sensor in the pit.
Hmmm. I'm going to do some research see if I can find something that does the opposite of the water sensor.
Jul 31, 2008
500 posts
318 upvotes
Markham
tonydiec wrote: I think I have seen on the SmartThings forums people use the multi sensor and attach it to the pump itself. That way you get notified when the pump runs. I don't believe I have seen someone use the water sensor in the pit.
The water sensor just has two sets of contact points, and if they conduct, then you have an event. I put them under my dishwasher and water tank, but they can go anywhere.

I thought this was pretty nice:

Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3236 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
that<s not good I don't care when the pump runs, I need to know if the water gets too high IN CASE the pump doesn't run lol

Because if the pump doesn't run theres 4 possible problems

1) Not enough water in the PIT
2) Pump is broken
3) No power
4) the Float is not ajusted well

No sensor will help me for #3 and that's fine as i have a backup generator on it

But at least I wished a 'water leak' would help for #2 and 4
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
These devices use Zigbee which operates on the 2.4GHz frequency. Wouldn't it be better to use similar Z-Wave sensors that operate at around 900MHz? That would avoid interference from WiFi and microwaves and increase distance.
Jul 30, 2010
655 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Btw, just throwing it out there that there's also some ecosystems that use only local connection like pie/openhab/home automation or hubitat in case any one is wondering. Local does sound better but I haven't had experience using either system but does seem enticing. I suppose the accessories like sensors would still work and could be imported.

If you're just looking for home alarm system, then the last Ring Home alarm kit was a decent buy as everything is already set and no need to tinker.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Does anyone have the smartthings button? does it give you any sort of feedback if you press it? like a vibration or a beep?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Turge wrote: One thing about these smartthings devices is they work well when they work but battery life is pretty brutal. The battery level is completelt inaccurate and they usually lose power when the battery level is at 66% or something likely that. I have a smartapp to report when devices haven't communicated in xx days because I had no idea my devices were losing power. I didn't even get a year out of any of them, even devices that are barely used (like the smartthings buttons).

Something to keep in mind.
I use the multipurpose sensor with MyQ using custom handlers/smartapp: https://github.com/brbeaird/SmartThings_MyQ
Really? I wouldn't be surprised if the sensors report incorrect battery level as my 1.5 year old leak sensors still say 99%. My guess is that they roughly measure battery voltage, so the level probably stays close to 100%, then rapidly drops off in a short period when it dies.

That said, mine are still going strong after 1.5 years with no failures. My ecobee sensors on the other hand have both run out of batteries after about a year.
ratatapa wrote: that kinda sucks i wanted to use the waterleak to alert me if the water level goes too high in my sump pump pit
Have a look at my previous post, that would probably work from you.

From other users, water isn't necessarily fatal. If you seal with hot glue/caulking you are most likely OK. Worst case is you lose a $20 sensor to save a flooded basement.
I have the ST leak sensors. One took a bath from a leaking hot water tank in May. It was in the tank pan and ended up in about an inch of water. I dried it off and it’s been back in service ever since. Same battery.

Samsung however says not to submerge it. https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/mobi ... submerged/
ChrisS489 wrote: Would it be able to work the opposite or do you think the quality isn't up for that sort of thing.
In other words submerging it in water 24/7/365 and if the water level goes below the device it will alert me.
I'm thinking of putting it in a cistern or holding tank
Using a float with a contact sensor is your best bet. You can't submerge the sensor.
mdl.tor wrote: The water sensor just has two sets of contact points, and if they conduct, then you have an event. I put them under my dishwasher and water tank, but they can go anywhere.
I thought this was pretty nice:
+1, exactly what I was thinking. I would 3D print a quick setup if I need this.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 30, 2010
655 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Sicklyslick wrote: Does anyone have the smartthings button? does it give you any sort of feedback if you press it? like a vibration or a beep?
There's a popping/clicking sound when you press it. So you definitely know that you pressed it. No electronic vibrations or beeps or lights though.

I have it setup to turn on/off the lights
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1410 posts
128 upvotes
I have the sensor in my sump pit. It’s not gone off, but I’ve tested it on my counter with a dish of water and it works fine.
Dec 8, 2012
987 posts
644 upvotes
Calgary
I prefer xiaomi aqara - cheaper, good battery life. The only issue it takes like month to get those from China.
I have door contacts, flood sensors, and temperature sensors. One temp sensor survived two Calgary winters outside and showed accurate data all the time. I was surprised actually.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
4350 posts
612 upvotes
Markham, ON
Thanks OP.
I was looking for the contact sensor so i can lock the door after it's been closed for 5 mins in case someone forgets to look the front door
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Dennisrfd wrote: I prefer xiaomi aqara - cheaper, good battery life. The only issue it takes like month to get those from China.
I have door contacts, flood sensors, and temperature sensors. One temp sensor survived two Calgary winters outside and showed accurate data all the time. I was surprised actually.
Did the Aqara sensor pair easily with the ST hub? I was looking at those.

I have the smart power switches on my coffee maker and garage door opener. Sometimes we forget the coffee maker on, so I can remotely shut it off from work. I have a MyQ wifi garage opener, but the ST switch allows me to force off the garage opener for extra security when away from the home for a while.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3441 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
has anyone installed the button or motion sensors outside? It would be nice to have the button work as a doorbell.. I currently have Alexa announce "the side door has been opened" whenever the door sensor gets triggered... so it would be great to have it announce "someone's at the side door" when somebody presses the button... ditto for the motion sensors, when someone walks around the backyard at 1am, it would announce "there's someone at the backyard"...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3236 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
engineered wrote: Did the Aqara sensor pair easily with the ST hub? I was looking at those.

I have the smart power switches on my coffee maker and garage door opener. Sometimes we forget the coffee maker on, so I can remotely shut it off from work. I have a MyQ wifi garage opener, but the ST switch allows me to force off the garage opener for extra security when away from the home for a while.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/ori ... etc/113253
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Good deals ops. I have a around 30 of these sensors around my house automating nearly everything. They work great. Smartthings is the best ecosystem to invest into for whole home automation in my opinion...
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
Do NOT get the The Multipurpose sensor

They are crap. They stay connected for a few days and then drop out. I have 2, VERY close to the hub, MUCH closer then all my other devices, and they drop every few days.

Lots of other people have been reported similar issues.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1074 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
Lush78 wrote: Good deals ops. I have a around 30 of these sensors around my house automating nearly everything. They work great. Smartthings is the best ecosystem to invest into for whole home automation in my opinion...
Got any examples or suggestions for those of us that are new.

One thing I'm thinking of is a motion sensor for the laundry room to automatically turn on the lights. The laundry room is accessible from the house, as well as the garage, so figured it would likely be better to use a motion sensor instead of the doorway sensor as the trigger since it may not differentiate between coming and going.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)