Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Sale ( Multi Purpose Sensor $20.99) + other accessories at Amazon,BestBuy,HomeDepot,Staples,Source

Nov 8, 2012
239 posts
263 upvotes
TORONTO
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 8:18 am
+1, if it wasn't due to a very active and helpful ST community, I would switch to Hubitat.
Hubitat also has an equally helpful community. That being said I have the best of both worlds. Haven't run into a situation yet where hubitat doesn't have what ST has.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28834 posts
14637 upvotes
Ottawa
maniac2403 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 8:26 am
Hubitat also has an equally helpful community. That being said I have the best of both worlds. Haven't run into a situation yet where hubitat doesn't have what ST has.
Off the top of your head, any custom handlers for Xiaomi sensors?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5104 posts
872 upvotes
Montreal
ratatapa wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 8:19 am
What dod you use to control your roku? Harmony hub or something else?
Yes, I use my Harmony hub to control the Roku.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5381 posts
981 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 12:45 pm
Because while the sensor is designed to 'get wet', there is no indication that the sensor is designed to live underwater.

Ignoring that, then there is the element of physics: there is ZERO chance that a zigbee signal will travel any appreciable distance through water, so if you dunk your sensor you'll never hear from it anyways. Will it reconnect when out of the water? Maybe, but for the whole time you'll never get a message from the sensor, so the battery can go to zero and you'd never have any idea it was happening.
The ST leak sensor has 2 contacts on both the top and bottom. If you want to be crafty, you can solder any pair of wires to any of the contacts to extend the sensor range. Just use any RJ11 wire you have lying around. The Xiaomi Aqara water sensors use 2 screws on the bottom for this purpose. OTOH, all 4 of my Aqara water sensors dropped off after a month and refuse to re-pair. That makes it useless in my book.

I use an Aeotec water sensor with remote probe in my sump pit. The 2 prongs are around 1" apart but seem to get wet every time after my pump runs due to the huge piping from 1 side of my house to the other. I'd put in a check valve but I don't know if I want stagnant water in a pipe that literally spans the width of my house.
No external links in signatures - Mods
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1251 posts
403 upvotes
Ontario
I had a Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I finally pulled the trigger on the SmartThings Mesh Wifi 3 pack.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2010
470 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
BUMP

If anyone was on the fence, then a great opportunity to use Staples $25 off $75.

Try to combine orders as close to $75 and use the coupon i.e
if you just need hub then get hub+filler

2nd order, sensors,etc

might be all time lowest for hub, double check sensors with OP.
thanks to @blyndfyre @zero_ for the coupon

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)