Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Save $15 on your first Subscribe & Save purchase of select Hill's Science Diet pet food

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2018 6:17 pm
[OP]
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
35 posts
147 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Save $15 on your first Subscribe & Save purchase of select Hill's Science Diet pet food

Save $15 on your first Subscribe & Save purchase of select Hill's Science Diet pet food when you use the code SUBSCRIBE15 at checkout!

Promotional code expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) [May 31, 2018]
33 replies
Aug 31, 2006
470 posts
205 upvotes
Calgary
I've always been under the impression that this brand is the one Vets get paid to shill but no one should actually be using.
Jan 23, 2017
958 posts
780 upvotes
Calgary
Furiae wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 11:19 pm
I've always been under the impression that this brand is the one Vets get paid to shill but no one should actually be using.
Peddled by many, many vets.. several better options that are made in Canada even.
Dec 18, 2005
592 posts
373 upvotes
Montreal
OKSpring wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 11:47 pm
Peddled by many, many vets.. several better options that are made in Canada even.
Which do you recommend? I buy Science Diet because it's what my vet recommended for my cat, but it's so expensive! If I could find a cheaper alternative that's as good, I'd switch right away.
Jan 23, 2017
958 posts
780 upvotes
Calgary
dhomas wrote:
Mar 31st, 2018 2:38 pm
Which do you recommend? I buy Science Diet because it's what my vet recommended for my cat, but it's so expensive! If I could find a cheaper alternative that's as good, I'd switch right away.
If you're sticking with dry food, (and I'm really on familiar with dog food, so take this with a grain of salt for cats), Acana is probably similarly proceed to your vet's Hills foods.

Acana and Orijen are both made in Alberta by Champion, and are top shelf foods. Nutrience Sub-Zero is in a similar price range as Acana and is made in BC, also a good food.

Even Costco's foods made by Diamond in the US are likely a better alternative to your current feed, and far and away the lowest cost you'll find for a reasonable dry kibble.
Apr 20, 2009
844 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
~$40 for a 17.5 pound bag... same price as the PC brand I've been using. In for 1.
May 30, 2010
320 posts
506 upvotes
Origin and acana are over priced and over hyped. I find people are recommending them with very little knowledge about actual nutrition. Even vets have a handful of hours of nutritional training put on by a food rep.

Sit down and make a list about what your pets needs are and find a food that helps in that area. For example if i had a male cat i was feeding dry then i would feed a food that prevent urine crystals.

There is not one super food and SD pet food has somethings it does better. Also the hills science diet(pet store)and hills prescription Diet(vet) are two different but similar foods.

Edit: i should note that when i say people, i mean in general and not anyone in particular before a fight breaks out.
Jan 4, 2010
70 posts
26 upvotes
Niagara Region
There are lots of foods that are better than others. Hills is generally known to be overpriced for the nutrition. You do want to find a food that fills the needs of your particular pet -- check out dogfoodadvisor.com for some general nutrition recommendations. It's not the gospel truth but it will point you in the right direction.
Dec 18, 2017
3 posts
Hill is not a good brand at all!! Their main ingredients usually start brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal and other fillers, but pet food should have protein as their first main ingredient. Orijen, Ziwipeak, Primal are better brands to look at.
Dec 18, 2005
592 posts
373 upvotes
Montreal
Thank you all for your input. It looks like I have some research to do. :)
Banned
Jun 14, 2017
47 posts
80 upvotes
dhomas wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 7:44 am
Thank you all for your input. It looks like I have some research to do. :)
Look into Ziwipeak,
Jan 10, 2011
365 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
Go raw. Do a google search on benefits of feeding raw food to dogs. Also watch movie called Pet Fooled.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2991 posts
223 upvotes
Ottawa
Anything priced at $15 or less?
Hello
Mar 18, 2016
65 posts
80 upvotes
ilusa wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 9:38 am
Anything priced at $15 or less?
You sir, shouldn't have a pet if you're not willing to invest good money into what you're feeding it
Jul 6, 2009
664 posts
92 upvotes
Science Diet is awful quality food. There are many better choices out there.