• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2017 12:30 am
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
633 posts
378 upvotes
Sask, Canada

[Amazon.ca] Schlage 40-132 Retail Keying Kit with Seal-Tight Metal Box $99

For all those that purchased the Schlage locks or currently have Schlage locks in your home. This key allows you to re-key all your Schlage locks to one key yourself. This kit is also at an all-time low on Amazon.

For the record, I'm not a locksmith but other reviewers of the Schlage connects linked to this kit. The process seems fairly simple with many claiming after completing one lock the following take under 10 minutes each.

I'd rather do it myself than pay someone and this kit works even better if you have friends and family that want to key their locks alike.

Amazon.ca Link
5 replies
Sep 22, 2016
253 posts
512 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: If I'm going to take a lock all apart, I'd rather put security pins back in for better pick and bump resistance, instead of normal pins.
Looks like it has spool pins, so that'll help with pick resistance.
For bump resistance though I would say put a stiffer spring in one or 2 of the pins.
Sep 1, 2017
11 posts
4 upvotes
it's not as easy as it looks.
tried a few times, and didn't go very well after spending a few hours. only to find out it has to have a particular kind of key (SC1) to make it happen.
paid a lock smith $ 10.00 and fifteen minutes.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
633 posts
378 upvotes
Sask, Canada
Well, I received my Schlage locks today. I decided to try and rekey one of them so they match. Watched This Video and it took maybe 15 minutes because I had trouble screwing and unscrewing the back piece. It appears to work now without issue. So I would say it's fairly straightforward and not all that difficult.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3978 posts
3167 upvotes
Toronto
I rekeyed my four Schlage locks with this much cheaper kit:

LINK

Basically, you get keys and the pins that correspond to those specific keys, rather than the more expensive set, which gives you lots of pins. I guess if you want to change other locks to one existing one, you would use the more expensive set, but in my case, I just changed all of mine to the key in the kit.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
633 posts
378 upvotes
Sask, Canada
jm1 wrote: I rekeyed my four Schlage locks with this much cheaper kit:

LINK

Basically, you get keys and the pins that correspond to those specific keys, rather than the more expensive set, which gives you lots of pins. I guess if you want to change other locks to one existing one, you would use the more expensive set, but in my case, I just changed all of mine to the key in the kit.
Ya, I can see how that kit could be sufficient. I have at least 6 to re-key so I went this route. Thanks for posting that kit though.