• Dec 7th, 2017 12:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 13, 2014
102 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon Canada] Schrade SCHFS1 Large Ferro Rod with Striker Plate and Lanyard

Comes in handy for those camping trips.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 6th, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
7 replies
Jun 5, 2008
597 posts
352 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I remember on my amateur hours we brought a flint instead of real fire. It took us an hour to get a fire going that day.

Adventures aside, that striker looks wayyy small.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1371 posts
436 upvotes
I go camping every year and these things are a waste of time. You are better off spending $0.50 on a bic lighter and having instant fire.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Nov 30, 2005
550 posts
41 upvotes
Bring a lighter. Trying to get a fire going in a wet and damp environment with a ferrocium rod is not easy.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2361 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver
Funny enough I just bought a number of these for my Scout troop (cheaper Coghlan's for $3.88). We use these for the Scouts to try out a different method of lighting a fire, but I agree these are near impossible to use unless you have ideal conditions/materials and have liberally sprinkled with magnesium shavings.

When we actually want to light a fire for campfire or cooking we're using matches. I wouldn't want to rely on this as my principal method of starting a fire.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3746 posts
338 upvotes
I thought the entire idea of this was not to use it because it’s harder to light a fire then a gas lighter but to have just in case there is a problem. Lighters over time loose gas. Can be broken yaddaa yaddaa.

It would a ton easier to bring a jerry can full of gas and a lighter maybe a bundle of wood.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2014
102 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bishop8 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:57 am
Funny enough I just bought a number of these for my Scout troop (cheaper Coghlan's for $3.88). We use these for the Scouts to try out a different method of lighting a fire, but I agree these are near impossible to use unless you have ideal conditions/materials and have liberally sprinkled with magnesium shavings.

When we actually want to light a fire for campfire or cooking we're using matches. I wouldn't want to rely on this as my principal method of starting a fire.
I ended up cancelling my order thanks to your comment! Saved me the impulse buy. Smiling Face With Open Mouth