Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Seagate 1TB Firecuda Gaming SSHD 2.5 Inches $74.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 2:33 pm
Feb 11, 2010
146 posts
152 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] Seagate 1TB Firecuda Gaming SSHD 2.5 Inches $74.99

I was looking for this for some time to upgrade my laptop HDD to SSHD. Wanted to share as the price seems good and this Seagate line "Firecuda" carries 5 year warranty.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1849 posts
1090 upvotes
I had a SSHD for my laptop, it still faces the same issue of a regular hard drive. Slows down as you use and you have to change it at the end, if you can compromise on space go with a SSD instead.
Buy now
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
Tough choice on this one. You can get a 525gb SSD for $140 or you can get a standard 1TB HD with 8GB of SSD for $75.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Aug 9, 2016
111 posts
49 upvotes
If you just want to make your laptop snappier, then just get a regular SSD (The 128 and 256GB aren't that expensive) and then get a large secondary drive (if you laptop has more than one SATA port or even an m.2 port)
Right now I'm using a crucial MX300 M.2 SSD for the OS and a regular crappy 1TB 5400RPM HD for large files and it's working quite good.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3254 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
These do help in a ps4 btw...not as fast as a real ssd but there is noticeable difference in loading times.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1503 posts
581 upvotes
This is a gimmicky hard drive with a small portion of SSD in it.

I was contemplating getting this, but someone in another forum convinced that is was better getting a separate SSD drive and then a separate HDD if you're even bothering considering this SSHD.

Also Seagate ain't the best with reliability, so I don't know if I want to risk it anyway.
Sep 22, 2016
331 posts
683 upvotes
ShylocK wrote: These do help in a ps4 btw...not as fast as a real ssd but there is noticeable difference in loading times.
With only 8GB of solid state storage it'll just hold the OS, won't help at all with your games. Besides, now you can use external hard drives on the PS4 (after they recently added that function... Finally).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
I tried an SSHD a long time ago and ended up selling it and going full SSD.

SSHD is a gimmick. It does perform fast only a small part of the time, depending on your usage, but is not worth it overall.

Acanac Internet 50/10 FTTN $36 24 months; $61 afterwards
Oct 28, 2012
967 posts
165 upvotes
EDMONTON
Been using the 2tb one for pc and also ps4. Both are trash, better off getting 7200rpm drives.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1503 posts
581 upvotes
Keep in mind, Seagate won't tell you this, but only the 2.5 inch is 5400rpm and the 3.5 inch is 7200rpm. Really vague and deceptive by Seagate.
Oct 11, 2014
398 posts
352 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
EdZegRFD wrote: With only 8GB of solid state storage it'll just hold the OS, won't help at all with your games. Besides, now you can use external hard drives on the PS4 (after they recently added that function... Finally).
The way this SSHD works, you don't actually access to the 8GB, so you wouldn't be able to install the OS just onto the SSD portion. It just uses the 8GB to load the most frequently used data to speed things up. This certainly helps improve game loading times on the PS4. It's only up to you whether or not the improvement (a few seconds) is worth it. From what I remember, some games only improved by 1 second, whereas others improved by a good 6-7 seconds. I personally would use this in a PS4, but not a laptop upgrade.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lincoln wrote: Tough choice on this one. You can get a 525gb SSD for $140 or you can get a standard 1TB HD with 8GB of SSD for $75.
Where can you get a 512 for that price?

I run three small 120 ssd's, wouldn't ever go back to the whiiiiir click click click whiiiir of a mechanical ever again.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3334 upvotes
well I got convinced to not buy it, guess I'm going to stick with my 500gb ssd for now and get a 7200rpm.
Jul 6, 2012
199 posts
80 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
nabiul wrote: Where can you get a 512 for that price?

I run three small 120 ssd's, wouldn't ever go back to the whiiiiir click click click whiiiir of a mechanical ever again.
Any current deal for a 512gb at that price? I've seen them pop up occasionally but am presently looking... thanks all!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
Would this type of drive be good for a laptop as a secondary drive that only houses games? I already have an ssd for OS and apps. I have a 1tb hdd that is only used for games (Steam). Load times are kind of slow and I'm running low on space (interested in the 2TB when it goes on sale). I'm wondering if this would be an improvement.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
AirTimid wrote: Would this type of drive be good for a laptop as a secondary drive that only houses games? I already have an ssd for OS and apps. I have a 1tb hdd that is only used for games (Steam). Load times are kind of slow and I'm running low on space (interested in the 2TB when it goes on sale). I'm wondering if this would be an improvement.
Only a small difference - your best bet would be to upgrade the SSD you already have to a bigger one, so that games could be loaded onto it, to get real improvements in load time.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
I know people like to harp on these SSHDs, but I am consistently surprised as how speedy they are on day-to-day tasks.

for example, a recent AIO purchase from Dell came in, and it had a Seagate SSHD inside standard. I was ready to upgrade it to a 128GB SSD, but the more I played around with it, installing programs, rebooting, etc. the more I understood that these have very real uses. this is a general business system, using an OMS program, some network apps, email, Word, Firefox and that's about it, and honestly, these are all probably sitting in the 8GB SSD because it loads at SSD speeds every time.

if you're a ultra-power-user with TBs of games and apps, then no, stick with a 480GB+ MLC or 3D TLC SSD as your main drive + a 4TB HD for storage, but for more general users who need the extra space (i.e. a laptop or AIO with only 1 drive slot) this is a great option. it's also perfect for those with larger laptops (with 2 drive slots) who already have a smaller SSD but need more storage space + speed. it also seems perfect for the old "upgrade the parents/grandparents laptop/PC' angle, especially if they store photos, movies, etc. and a 120GB SSD will not do, as I'd bet that virtually all apps/tasks will be preloaded to the SSD.

where it really doesn't fit is as a primary boot drive + game drive, as the GBs and GBs of game data will overload the SSD cache and give only slight performance increases. general use or business systems is where the benefits will really present themselves, as Word, Mail, Firefox, et al, will just sit on the SSD portion and load like mad, but still give you 1TB of storage for photos, videos, backups, movies, etc.. And you save a lot of $$$ as you can buy almost five of these 1TB SSHDs for the price of a single 1TB MLC/3D TLC SSD.