Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Red - $124.99

Feb 25, 2006
413 posts
115 upvotes
Kelowna, BC

[Amazon.ca] Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Red - $124.99

Not the lowest price, but a bit cheaper than the most recent Best Buy deal @ $129.99 from the last flyer.

Model STDR4000902

The drive should be removable if you want to put it into another device, rather than do external. Link: https://www.servethehome.com/seagate-4t ... y-density/
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
Make sure you buy a WD or HGST backup drive for the Seagate. You'll probably need it.
In your pants!
Banned
Mar 27, 2018
308 posts
266 upvotes
I have had two seagate external portable drives for years with no problems
Oct 18, 2007
685 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
zinful wrote: I have had two seagate external portable drives for years with no problems
I have a 500gb external portable hd for 5 years still going strong. my other 2 non portables lasted less than a year as it fell and and broke.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
3130 posts
655 upvotes
Mississauga
FatWallet wrote: Make sure you buy a WD or HGST backup drive for the Seagate. You'll probably need it.
Next thing you're gonna tell us is that we shouldn't buy DeathStar's, either. LOL.

Seriously though. I've had ZERO issues with my Seagate drives over the past five years. WD has been another thing completely. But my sample size isn't good enough, either. Truth be told, all drives from ALL companies have a pretty good chance of failing or arriving DOA.
Mar 10, 2008
470 posts
180 upvotes
Quebec City
FatWallet wrote: Make sure you buy a WD or HGST backup drive for the Seagate. You'll probably need it.
It's always a YMMV, but I have been carrying Seagates portable USB hard drives in my school backpack for years. I've been carrying 2x 5tbs for a little more than a year now, and I used several 2 tb drives before that between 2012 and 2017. They take a beating, but all 8 of them are still running strong.
Oct 4, 2016
373 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
FatWallet wrote: Anecdotal evidence is just that. Seagates have the worst performance record: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... s-q1-2017/
I can back this up from experience, I work in IT and replacing hard drives is something I do literally everyday ( either bad drives or just to replace with an SSD).

By a large margin, the hard drives with the highest failure rate that I've personally dealt with are Seagate, and I deal with hundreds of drives every year. Whenever I open a computer up and I see Seagate, I slightly feel sick.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1068 posts
782 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Fourth wrote: I can back this up from experience, I work in IT and replacing hard drives is something I do literally everyday ( either bad drives or just to replace with an SSD).

By a large margin, the hard drives with the highest failure rate that I've personally dealt with are Seagate, and I deal with hundreds of drives every year. Whenever I open a computer up and I see Seagate, I slightly feel sick.
is that because they fail more often or they sell more?
Apr 15, 2018
596 posts
884 upvotes
pca1987 wrote: is that because they fail more often or they sell more?
Must be the lawyer in you Winking Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)