Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black (STDR2000100)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1413 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black (STDR2000100)

This deal is back, Matches the lowest Price ever on Amazon.ca

Reviews seem decent too.

Here’s the thread on the last time this went to this price:
amazon-ca-79-99-seagate-backup-plus-sli ... 5-2166564/
Last edited by Mars2012 on Feb 16th, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
40 replies
Apr 13, 2016
690 posts
427 upvotes
Are Seagate drives better now? I had 2 fail on me in the last 15 years. It's hard for me to ever want to trust this company again.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1110 posts
85 upvotes
Nah they still fail a lots, same with WD lower models. It depend of the models range, the cheap ones always fail.

We buy a lot of 8TB Seagate at work for backup, on like 40, we had 4-5 fail so far we had to RMA.
Apr 11, 2003
581 posts
53 upvotes
Edmonton
snipzy wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:33 am
Are Seagate drives better now? I had 2 fail on me in the last 15 years. It's hard for me to ever want to trust this company again.
ALL drives eventually fail. Back up your important data.

It's like tires. Eventually they'll wear out or hit a nail. Just have a spare. It's just how life is.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12632 posts
2237 upvotes
London
I think these actually still have Samsung designed spinpoint drives inside. (From before being acquired by Seagate)
Oct 6, 2005
202 posts
81 upvotes
Montreal
I ordered it the last time it went down to 79$, I returned 2 drives... and I ordered a WD Elements 2TB instead. The WD is working fine compared to the 2 DOA Seagate I received.
Sep 5, 2016
274 posts
81 upvotes
Friendly advice from experts, if I want to buy Internal hard drive for my normal home PC(1 or 2 hours daily use after that shut down). HDD not the SSD.
If in any deal I found same price for all these HDD with same capacity & other properties.
Seagate: Firecuda or Ironwolf or Barracuda
WD :Black or Red or Blue
What is the recommended preference order for buying hard disk from above list. This is general advice so that I will buy the best option with same price.
Or I have to stick only Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue.
thanks
Apr 4, 2017
387 posts
145 upvotes
I bought the same Seagate external about 2 years ago, it just failed on me a few weeks ago. I remember it was a Hot Deals thread as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1801 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto
Can this be taken out of the case and use internally?
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4767 posts
231 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 1:02 pm
I can't confirm 100% I bought a 1TB model that looks physically identical to it over a year ago, I shucked it and it was a Samsung drive inside made by Seagate. It was just a normal SATA drive. YMMV though.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12632 posts
2237 upvotes
London
guru2gr8 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 12:24 pm
Friendly advice from experts, if I want to buy Internal hard drive for my normal home PC(1 or 2 hours daily use after that shut down). HDD not the SSD.
If in any deal I found same price for all these HDD with same capacity & other properties.
What is the recommended preference order for buying hard disk from above list. This is general advice so that I will buy the best option with same price.
thanks
Wd black for an OS drive (7200 rpm) however a ssd is still going to be much much faster. The pny ssd newegg deal at $82 is a better way
newegg-pny-cs900-2-5-ssd-3d-nand-80-99-240gb-2171596/
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 16th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 12, 2016
313 posts
180 upvotes
some1not wrote:
I bought this model about a week and a half ago. It is most defiantly shuckable seen as I did it to add HDD into the empty slot in my laptop. I haven't had it long enough to confirm reliability. Time for price guarantee form to be filled.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9968 posts
1870 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Yes, and these are the ones that fit in the Playstations. Put one in my PS4 3 years ago (paid $89.99 in 2015), still going strong, knocks wood. Just put the 1.5 TB in my PS3 last week, working great.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Aug 9, 2016
93 posts
41 upvotes
guru2gr8 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 12:24 pm
thanks
For your regular desktop pc I would go with a WD Red or the WD Blue. Sure, the black has more features to prevent damage from vibrations for example, but it is also a lot noisier. The WD Red is better than the blue, but it is also more expensive. Red drives are more intended for NAS systems so they should be more reliable than the Blue drives.

I've had bad experiences with Seagate portable drives so I wouldn't buy from them again, but I'm sure that some people have had great luck with them so I reserve my judgement here.