Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

*Expired* Segway miniPRO | Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter with Mobile App Control $ 639.00

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2017 11:38 pm
Jul 25, 2014
32 posts
45 upvotes
Nepean, ON
baz5 wrote: I can't believe people would actually buy these. No offense!
The reviews all say it's really fun. I'm going to try it out for a month and decide if it's worth the money. I've ridden a segway before and really enjoyed the experience but those are too expensive at 5k+
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
aight guys, while doing some more reading on my incoming minipro, I learned that segways (including this minipro) are designated as "personal transportation devices" (in the US atleast) which are totally separate from normal hoverboards & unicycles. after a bit more research, I found this Ontario bylaw (link below) which states the segways are LEGAL on roadways & shoulders, sidewalk/trail/path/walkways & in public parks/exhibitions.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/060488

now I don't know if this holds for the larger segways only or all segways but it would seem this "personal transporter" is legal afterall. yaaaaaay!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10316 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: That's pretty much what will happen in Canada.
It will cost you more in lawyers fees that the product itself if something happens...
But in a more general way, do you guys think it's cool?
It made me thinking of the Wall-E movie, when human loose the hability to walk...
With the exception of Quebec, as it has a no fault system, where everyone who gets into an accident on the road is automatically covered by the government, and no one can sue anyone for damages.
Aug 12, 2011
631 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
scotsum wrote: aight guys, while doing some more reading on my incoming minipro, I learned that segways (including this minipro) are designated as "personal transportation devices" (in the US atleast) which are totally separate from normal hoverboards & unicycles. after a bit more research, I found this Ontario bylaw (link below) which states the segways are LEGAL on roadways & shoulders, sidewalk/trail/path/walkways & in public parks/exhibitions.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/060488

now I don't know if this holds for the larger segways only or all segways but it would seem this "personal transporter" is legal afterall. yaaaaaay!!!
I think you need to read all the sections... It says it applies to 1) police officers 2) mail man 3) people with disability...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
hachi8 wrote: I think you need to read all the sections... It says it applies to 1) police officers 2) mail man 3) people with disability...
now u could well be right as I'm no lawyer by any means. section 6 pertaining to people limited mobility means that segways are in the same classification as motorized/electric wheelchairs which means segways are in a different classification as other motorized "toys".

regardless, I do have hope it is legal to ride on public roadways.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
yah, basically they are illegal to use in Ontario except for police, mailmen, and disabled people for the period of the project. That link states that the project ends in 2018, so who knows what they will decide to do afterwards. Basically it's up in the air whether these things will ever be legal in Ontario.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Penalty Box
Jul 2, 2016
356 posts
143 upvotes
In my view, the Segways should be legal but only on the roads the same way that bikes are supposed to be. People forget that infrastructure in North America was overwhelmingly built to cater to automobiles, thus making sidewalks relative narrow compared to other places, such as many European cities. As such, if these things along with hoverboards got popular we certainly don't need our sidewalks littered with Segways bumping into pedestrians (some of whom are extremely aloof and in their own world on the cell or headphones) at 20 clicks an hour.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)