Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Segway One S1 (Electric Unicycle) - $399

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2018 8:23 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fightbriz wrote: How does your ips i5 compare to the segway? And how much did you pay? And can it do anything like the gotway (above)
I've never had the segway, so I can't directly compare.

The one I have is a lot lighter at around 16lbs (vs 25lbs segway).

I paid approx $550 USD on Aliexpress during the 11:11 sale.

It's designed to be a small commuter wheel, so no extreme off-roading like that Gotway. The IPS has a pretty thin tire, but that allows it to fit easily in my backpack.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote: I've never had the segway, so I can't directly compare.

The one I have is a lot lighter at around 16lbs (vs 25lbs segway).

I paid approx $550 USD on Aliexpress during the 11:11 sale.

It's designed to be a small commuter wheel, so no extreme off-roading like that Gotway. The IPS has a pretty thin tire, but that allows it to fit easily in my backpack.
I just saw a video, it's extremely thin, is that uncomfortable? Also how exactly does self balancing work, it's more that you're doing the balancing right? And then the momentum through riding keeps it upright... I don't really see how there's any self balancing going on.. I mean if you stop completely you're going to tip one way or the other
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fightbriz wrote: I just saw a video, it's extremely thin, is that uncomfortable? Also how exactly does self balancing work, it's more that you're doing the balancing right? And then the momentum through riding keeps it upright... I don't really see how there's any self balancing going on.. I mean if you stop completely you're going to tip one way or the other
I don't have thicker tires to compare to, but I find the width alright. It's a bit harder to control on grass and other soft surfaces, but keep in mind that I've only ridden this around a half dozen times.

The self-balancing is forward/backward. If I lean forward, the unicycle will speed up so that I remain vertical. If I lean backwards it'll slow down/go backwards. I still have to balance my left/right.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote: I don't have thicker tires to compare to, but I find the width alright. It's a bit harder to control on grass and other soft surfaces, but keep in mind that I've only ridden this around a half dozen times.

The self-balancing is forward/backward. If I lean forward, the unicycle will speed up so that I remain vertical. If I lean backwards it'll slow down/go backwards. I still have to balance my left/right.
Ahhh makes sense, I totally forgot what self balancing meant on Segways..

So you tilt forward and back for speed, and left and right to turn..
Feb 4, 2017
75 posts
75 upvotes
Wow! Hot deal on this well reviewed electric unicycle. It was $999 up until Nov 26. My skate & snowboarding son is going to be thrilled on Xmas morning! Thanks OP! :)
Aug 27, 2012
648 posts
699 upvotes
Calgary
Just had a world with my GF hoping for something like "are you mad?" but instead she was like, wow I wanna try this thing. Two minutes latter email confirmation is sitting in my mailbox. Can't wait to try this thing out lol :D
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
Very tempting deal, but to me it still doesn't negate S1's three main flaws: hard to get on and learn to ride, uncomfortable ride compared to top unicycles and you are forced to pick it up in order to carry it.IMO the INMOTION V3 Pro is a better, more stable, more comfortable unicycle with a handle that you will use all the time.
For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thelasthunter wrote: Very tempting deal, but to me it still doesn't negate S1's three main flaws: hard to get on and learn to ride, uncomfortable ride compared to top unicycles and you are forced to pick it up in order to carry it.IMO the INMOTION V3 Pro is a better, more stable, more comfortable unicycle with a handle that you will use all the time.
The V3 Pro has half the range and is actually heavier than the Ninebot. The only advantage is the trolley imo, and you can find attachments for the ninebot.

Also the V3 Pro is quite old, and batteries may have degraded in storage.

Anyways, from a quick Google, it appears that the V3 Pro is mostly out of stock. One place has it for $500 USD, but that's nowhere near $399 CAD.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: The V3 Pro has half the range and is actually heavier than the Ninebot. The only advantage is the trolley imo, and you can find attachments for the ninebot.

Also the V3 Pro is quite old, and batteries may have degraded in storage.

Anyways, from a quick Google, it appears that the V3 Pro is mostly out of stock. One place has it for $500 USD, but that's nowhere near $399 CAD.
According to Inmotion canada the v3 pro will be back in stock some time this month at 500Cad and there could be a sale on boxing day. The slightly heavier weight doesn't really matter due to the handle and it's just much more pleasant and easier to ride than the Segway. Also the range is not half, it's just stated more precisely as 15-25 km, whereas Segway states it as up to 25km. Same range basically. I tried both at length and that was my experience. This review serves as a good comparison:

For Sale:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
coffeejello wrote: Anyone know if this would be allowed in Vancouver parks?
I don't know for sure, but most municipalities do not allow motorized vehicles save wheelchairs in parks. However, most parks don't enforce these rules, so....
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1155 posts
288 upvotes
coffeejello wrote: Anyone know if this would be allowed in Vancouver parks?
At this point, I don't think it matters. When everyone starts riding them, then it matters.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
Even though I critiqued it earlier for its lack of ride comfort and lack of an extended handle I still bought one as this price point is quite good. Segway is a reliable company and they deserve props for developing and pouring millions into this technology.
For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thelasthunter wrote: Even though I critiqued it earlier for its lack of ride comfort and lack of an extended handle I still bought one as this price point is quite good. Segway is a reliable company and they deserve props for developing and pouring millions into this technology.
I do wonder how the ride quality is compared to my IPS i5. I heard the i5 was a bad beginner wheel due to the thin body and tires.

Tempted as an RFD'er to get the Segway, but I'll resist the urge.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: I do wonder how the ride quality is compared to my IPS i5. I heard the i5 was a bad beginner wheel due to the thin body and tires.

Tempted as an RFD'er to get the Segway, but I'll resist the urge.
If you do get tempted, don't forget ebates for some added savings. I plan on using this Segway to get to work, which is like 4km, which will save me some commute money.
For Sale:
Sep 18, 2004
583 posts
282 upvotes
differing wrote: Oh yes because the BMI was developed for evaluating the health of football players :facepalm:

Obviously there's outliers (elite athletes), but if you can't fit on a scooter because of your weight, that's a discussion you should be having with your family doctor, not Segway lol
It was just a convenient photo since the height/weight were printed next to a picture. You don't need to be an elite athlete to be 5'10", 220, just moderately muscular. "Elite" is measured by performance, not height-weight. There are many, many people which fit those stats that are neither obese nor elite athletes. BMI is useless for evaluating any demographic other than sedentary office workers.

Maybe if you step outside of your doctor's office and try taking up a sport, you'll find out for yourself.
Jan 4, 2004
119 posts
44 upvotes
This post most certainly erased all my savings this year from RFD... went from not knowing what this thing was, to wanting it, to $450 poorer way too fast (next step- to gliding around like a dork).

I must admit, the 'this is not for everyone' marketing line worked on me. I am in the mood for learning something new!
Jan 7, 2008
299 posts
95 upvotes
I saw two kids under 10 zoom by on these this summer in a very busy area with fast traffic. The parent in me was worried.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
King of Canada wrote: I saw two kids under 10 zoom by on these this summer in a very busy area with fast traffic. The parent in me was worried.
They shouldn't be in with the traffic (vehicle traffic, I presume).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)